Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2018, 07:40:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Thomas  (Read 2412 times)
theaardvark

« on: January 09, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »

Ask O'Shea and Hall, that's roughly the average number of plays per game they have been getting. My guess is because one (Corney) is only good on a small percentage of plays, and the other (Thomas) does not have the wind to play more. The 2nd one has been the knock on Thomas for his whole career Aards, it's not a new development and it is one that he has not shown the ability to overcome.

Odd that he plays ST then,  where he has to head downfield at a much less than pedestrian pace...  and does so quite effectively.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn18

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:57:35 PM »

Odd that he plays ST then,  where he has to head downfield at a much less than pedestrian pace...  and does so quite effectively.

Nothing odd about it at all. It's the primary reason we have him under contract. His defensive reps are just a bonus.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:00:40 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »

I don't think Jake Thomas doesn't have the 'wind' to compete, he's a hard worker who probably doesn't get more tired than other professional athletes. The main knock on him is at the CFL level, against professional lineman, he's a middling talent. I think that's that. 
GCn18

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 06:09:21 PM »

I don't think Jake Thomas doesn't have the 'wind' to compete, he's a hard worker who probably doesn't get more tired than other professional athletes. The main knock on him is at the CFL level, against professional lineman, he's a middling talent. I think that's that. 

MOS himself, a couple years back, alluded to the fact that Thomas's conditioning wasn't conducive to seeing a lot of reps on defence and that he was better coming off the bench occasionally.

the paw

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »

I would refine this a little further.  I think Fatboi makes plays, but to make plays with his natural talent level, he has to go balls to the wall berzerker.  You can only give that extra burst so many times a game, and this is why he is highly effective in limited use, but drops off dramatically if he is over-used.  

I want us to sign him, i think we need to sign him.  But that doesn't mean we need to oversell him as starter material.  

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »

Yes, and rightfully so. Thomas can be seen sucking an oxygen mask if he is on for more than a couple plays in a row, and Corney is awful against the run.

I agree but I was speaking about Aard's claim about STARTING 8 Canadians. We don't have 8 starting quality Canadians. We were hard pressed to find 7 that were at least average. Rotating in 3 different players at times is not the same as that impression he tried to give. Hurl often came out which required one of the others to come on.

I see Laing has re-signed now leaving only Laurent as a potential DL free agent Canadian.  I don't really see him coming to the Bombers. There aren't going to be many starting quality Canadians hitting free agency that will help us.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:21:21 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn18

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »

I agree but I was speaking about Aard's claim about STARTING 8 Canadians. We don't have 8 starting quality Canadians. We were hard pressed to find 7 that were at least average.

Right now, as it stands, we do not have 8 starting NAT players unless we seriously want to compromise the competitiveness of our team. Right now I don't even count 7.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:18:48 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »

I would refine this a little further.  I think Fatboi makes plays, but to make plays with his natural talent level, he has to go balls to the wall berzerker.  You can only give that extra burst so many times a game, and this is why he is highly effective in limited use, but drops off dramatically if he is over-used.  

I want us to sign him, i think we need to sign him.  But that doesn't mean we need to oversell him as starter material.  

That description is fine with me. Still sounds like a talent issue to me though.
booch

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:26:01 PM »

I don't really notice him (Thomas) on special teams...what unit was he on even?..I would assume field goals and possible punt as a down lineman..which makes sense as he is a bit more athletic than a 330 pound lineman.

I think I seen him as one of the mid depth guys on kick returns as I believe he fielded one before...but thats more or less to absorb a block and truthfully there are a number of guys who can fill that role at an entry level salary.

Corney as well gets more than minimal reps and last half of season was on the field significantly more than Thomas...and in multiple roles in specific schemes..much more value and upside now and just a tad more athletic..lol

Ekakite I am pretty sure can take on more of a role this year and with Corney, a possible draft pick/free agency signing I can see Thomas expendable...thanks for the service but at times you move on..I think his time is now as he is what he is and has topped off...Corney and Ekakite haven't...and are better options moving forward.

If Jake and any of our other cast-offs sign elsewhere to find significant reps then awesome for them...but they may not either and that is telling.

theaardvark

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »

Nothing odd about it at all. It's the primary reason we have him under contract. His defensive reps are just a bonus.

OK, I'm confused.  Is it that he doesn't have the wind to play more, or he is a ST player / backup DL.  Because if he can play ST, he must have wind... especially if he ends up taking a DL rep after a kick...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »

special teams is one play....starter reps on defense can be anywhere from 1 play to all plays during a series....a big difference
kkc60

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 10:43:18 PM »

I had the same thought but was told that it's too early to be having this discussion. 
Oh get over yourself. I said it was a little too soon to know what they want out of Younger, because we haven't seen his effect on the position he's coaching. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Discuss whatyou want, but don't get butt hurt if someone disagrees
kkc60

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:48:53 PM »

I don't really notice him (Thomas) on special teams...what unit was he on even?..I would assume field goals and possible punt as a down lineman..which makes sense as he is a bit more athletic than a 330 pound lineman.

I think I seen him as one of the mid depth guys on kick returns as I believe he fielded one before...but thats more or less to absorb a block and truthfully there are a number of guys who can fill that role at an entry level salary.

Corney as well gets more than minimal reps and last half of season was on the field significantly more than Thomas...and in multiple roles in specific schemes..much more value and upside now and just a tad more athletic..lol

Ekakite I am pretty sure can take on more of a role this year and with Corney, a possible draft pick/free agency signing I can see Thomas expendable...thanks for the service but at times you move on..I think his time is now as he is what he is and has topped off...Corney and Ekakite haven't...and are better options moving forward.

If Jake and any of our other cast-offs sign elsewhere to find significant reps then awesome for them...but they may not either and that is telling.

He was in the wedge on kick return. The down field running aards referred to is really short lived. Essentially, block whoever is closest. If you run too fast, you can whiff on blocks and accidentally hold a guy. I love love love Thomas. He's the type of guy all winning teams have. But, Westerman is more important. Westerman plays way more defence and does it at a higher level. Thomas, while being a great rotational piece, is a rotational piece. And for his special teams, Spooner or Couture can also be on the wedge. Thomas is essentially our Michael Atkinson
GCn18

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »

OK, I'm confused.  Is it that he doesn't have the wind to play more, or he is a ST player / backup DL.  Because if he can play ST, he must have wind... especially if he ends up taking a DL rep after a kick...

Clearly you are confused...that is no secret. Thomas plays a blocking role on the teams. The wind needed is minimal. Run a few yards and throw a block. You talk about him like hes our gunner.

kkc60

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »

You are confused. Also, the odds of him taking a DL rep after a kick return is pretty minimal unless we fumble it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: