Blue Bombers Forum
December 17, 2018, 02:56:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Walters Interview With TSN?s Naylor  (Read 4536 times)
kkc60

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »

1.  I agree, Walker has to continue to improve.
2.  Saying you don?t count Adams is arbitrary, and drives me crazy.
3.  Other than Adams (whom I count), I agree we have been through a very long list of receivers who weren?t quite good enough.  I have not given up on Washington yet, but he needs to continue to improve.
4.  I don?t accept that our scouts have a lack of ability.  They have their hits and they have their misses, but they do seem to struggle with WRs though.
I don't count Adams because, while he was a good signing, he was a signing. The issue is, most of their hits haven't been as big as their misses. It's inexcusable to go as long as we have without a starting MLB.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »

I don't think most of us have wildly unrealistic expectations. We want the team to improve, and the most glaring deficiency in Walter's body of work (which is very good otherwise, I will readily grant) is scouting new American talent. I think its pretty clear he recognizes this as well, based on the changes he has made.

Constant and pervasive cynicism? Toxic? I think that's a bit over the top. We're having a civil and I think reasonable rational discussion, with differing viewpoints. Where "balanced" criticism stops, and cynicism begins will be in the eye of the beholder I think. Some of us are a bit bitter about how our season ended which colors our view no doubt, and fuels some impatience, but I don't think its toxic.

And I don't think its cherry picking. The fact is that other CFL teams on a fairly routine basis unearth new (and at least temporarily cheap) talent that has a major impact on the team, including achieving all star level play. We lag behind. I'm happy to find the Poop Johnson's, (and if he and others have a break out year this year, I will eat crow, because Sewell was not an instant star either) but I think its the Almond Sewell/Zylstra type players that can push you over the hump from one and done in the playoffs to Grey Cup. We have found hardly any in the last 5 years.

Further,  the money saved initially on their cheaper salaries gives you the flexibility to hang on to core veterans like Randal, Heath, and Leggett, instead of having to sacrifice one of them to the SMS. Calgary has a constant stream of good American talent coming in on entry level contracts, which is one of the major contributors to their success. Huff stays away from free agency for a reason. I think its a model we should aspire to.
Good points....all of them

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Blue In BC

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »

And how many scouts with Edmonton currently were there when any of Williams, Zylstra or Walker were initially recruited?  Hervey is in BC now. 

This group is developing and growing.  Give it time...

Oh.. another forgotten recruit from last year... TJ Thorpe... still on SSK's 82 man roster

They've had 4 years.  If the 2017 finds don't take the next step and if they don't find some cheap rookies that do well, then there may be more changes to the scouts in 2019.

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »

I don't think most of us have wildly unrealistic expectations. We want the team to improve, and the most glaring deficiency in Walter's body of work (which is very good otherwise, I will readily grant) is scouting new American talent. I think its pretty clear he recognizes this as well, based on the changes he has made.

Constant and pervasive cynicism? Toxic? I think that's a bit over the top. We're having a civil and I think reasonable rational discussion, with differing viewpoints. Where "balanced" criticism stops, and cynicism begins will be in the eye of the beholder I think. Some of us are a bit bitter about how our season ended which colors our view no doubt, and fuels some impatience, but I don't think its toxic.

And I don't think its cherry picking. The fact is that other CFL teams on a fairly routine basis unearth new (and at least temporarily cheap) talent that has a major impact on the team, including achieving all star level play. We lag behind. I'm happy to find the Poop Johnson's, (and if he and others have a break out year this year, I will eat crow, because Sewell was not an instant star either) but I think its the Almond Sewell/Zylstra type players that can push you over the hump from one and done in the playoffs to Grey Cup. We have found hardly any in the last 5 years.

Further,  the money saved initially on their cheaper salaries gives you the flexibility to hang on to core veterans like Randal, Heath, and Leggett, instead of having to sacrifice one of them to the SMS. Calgary has a constant stream of good American talent coming in on entry level contracts, which is one of the major contributors to their success. Huff stays away from free agency for a reason. I think its a model we should aspire to.

This is a well reasoned post.  I would argue though that fan dissatisfaction results in people being overly critical of Walters and his scouts, and over hyping other teams.  For all the scouting excellence of Edmonton and BC, we did finish ahead of them after all.

I understand the need for a certain amount of roster turnover every year, with some lower end guys in the mix.  But again, we were 12-6, and we haven?t exceeded the salary cap since Walters got here.  His math is working.

No, we haven?t won a playoff game yet.  But as SirBlueandGold has pointed out, if we keep making the playoffs consistently, the wins will take care of themselves.  The Bombers were competitive the entire year, and If we had gotten our injuries earlier in the year, we might have gone 10-8 but been able to win in the playoffs.  I think the 2016 team had talent as good as the Argos, it just didn?t pan out this time.  

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:20 PM »

This is a well reasoned post.  I would argue though that fan dissatisfaction results in people being overly critical of Walters and his scouts, and over hyping other teams.  For all the scouting excellence of Edmonton and BC, we did finish ahead of them after all.

I understand the need for a certain amount of roster turnover every year, with some lower end guys in the mix.  But again, we were 12-6, and we haven?t exceeded the salary cap since Walters got here.  His math is working.

No, we haven?t won a playoff game yet.  But as SirBlueandGold has pointed out, if we keep making the playoffs consistently, the wins will take care of themselves.  The Bombers were competitive the entire year, and If we had gotten our injuries earlier in the year, we might have gone 10-8 but been able to win in the playoffs.  I think the 2016 team had talent as good as the Argos, it just didn?t pan out this time.  

We finished ahead of the Esks but they dominated us at home in the WSF. That suggests they had better talent and depth than we did. When they had injuries the brought back returning NFL players like Grymes and D. Walker.

No more excuses.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 05:24:04 AM »

We finished ahead of the Esks but they dominated us at home in the WSF. That suggests they had better talent and depth than we did. When they had injuries the brought back returning NFL players like Grymes and D. Walker.

Who BTW they just signed

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: