Blue Bombers Forum
January 17, 2018, 05:58:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Walters Interview With TSN?s Naylor  (Read 1182 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »

Andrew Harris is on his last legs, and Westerman is as well, if he even returns.  But I think we have a solid young core of Canadians with Loffler, Chungh, Goossen, and Couture/Spooner, and hopefully Ekakitie. 

Right, keep drafting good Canadians and the rest is replaceable and much more quickly correctable. Also unlike a lot of major sports leagues, the CFL draft isn't really the great leveler of talent. Because of how darn unpredictable that draft is, a 7th overall pick is likely to be as good as the 3rd overall pick. Teams can successfully pick near the end of the draft and still be totally fine. That's impossible over the long term in other leagues.
bunker

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 10:56:43 PM »

Right, keep drafting good Canadians and the rest is replaceable and much more quickly correctable. Also unlike a lot of major sports leagues, the CFL draft isn't really the great leveler of talent. Because of how darn unpredictable that draft is, a 7th overall pick is likely to be as good as the 3rd overall pick. Teams can successfully pick near the end of the draft and still be totally fine. That's impossible over the long term in other leagues.
I think we have a very good nucleus with a proven QB, a good group of Canadians, and a solid O-line. I'm not sold on our ability to scout and sign good young cheap American talent though, and that's a real handicap, both in terms of talent, and our flexibility in free agency.
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 10:57:45 PM »

I think we have a very good nucleus with a proven QB, a good group of Canadians, and a solid O-line. I'm not sold on our ability to scout and sign good young cheap American talent though, and that's a real handicap, both in terms of talent, and our flexibility in free agency.

Which is why they hired a new US Scout...  who has a very solid track record.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
bunker

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 11:09:56 PM »

Fair enough, but several years too late unfortunately. And it can be a few years before the labour of new scouts bare fruit, something you clearly are aware of since I believe you used it in the past as an excuse for why there were few gems being uncovered by the previous US scout(s).
TBURGESS

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 04:35:00 AM »

I haven't followed his career up till now. Who did he personally bring in? (Not who did BC bring in)

Why was he let go by BC? Was it his track record or something else?

Being right never gets old.
kkc60

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 06:14:19 AM »

I highly doubt in one year our new US scout will bring us more than one of the following (if any): an impact receiver, a promising QB prospect, a good DB or a good LB. While he could bring in some good players, I have tempered my expectations for year one
the paw

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 02:05:43 PM »

Poop Johnson, Santos-Knox, Jeffcoat, Alexander, Walker, Foketi, Bond, Flanders.  That?s not bad.

If folks are expecting a steady stream of Chris Matthews-like discoveries, they don?t have realistic expectations.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »

Poop Johnson, Santos-Knox, Jeffcoat, Alexander, Walker, Foketi, Bond, Flanders.  That?s not bad.

If folks are expecting a steady stream of Chris Matthews-like discoveries, they don?t have realistic expectations.

Flanders was found by the Lions. Alexander and Walker are TBD at this point. Foketi hasn't really played although he's had positive comments from the coaches. They also said that about Carmichael if you recall.

I'd say Bond was the best of the lot. Santos Knox, Jeffcoat and Johnson might turn out to be great CFL players and have shown good potential.

Keep in mind this is year 5 for the Walter's regime. Perhaps we can say that the scouting efforts in 2017 show the most promise?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:36:07 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »

Flanders was found by the Lions. Alexander and Walker are TBD at this point. Foketi hasn't really played although he's had positive comments from the coaches. They also said that about Carmichael if you recall.

I'd say Bond was the best of the lot. Santos Knox, Jeffcoat and Johnson might turn out to be great CFL players and have shown good potential.

Keep in mind this is year 5 for the Walter's regime. Perhaps we can say that the scouting efforts in 2017 show the most promise?

We're just talking Int's here... and there are names missed, including Leggett.  Walters personally has been the guy for the Nat depth, the draft...  and the trades... and FA acquisitions...  Regardless who found them, we have Stanley, Medlock, Adams, Nichols, Randle, Hardick, etc...  those guys didn't just walk into the team, they were brought here.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
bigbuff33

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »

Aards...you ask...what more do you want...

seriously???   Walters and O'Shea have been in charge for four years...and not one playoff game win...not one...

Just a reminder that last year...Toronto...in its first year under Pop and Trestman...Grey Cup    Ottawa...a brand new franchise...has a Grey Cup win...

Please don't insult our intelligence by saying what more do we want...

O'Shea and Walters have yet to prove they can produce a winner...
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »

We're just talking Int's here... and there are names missed, including Leggett.  Walters personally has been the guy for the Nat depth, the draft...  and the trades... and FA acquisitions...  Regardless who found them, we have Stanley, Medlock, Adams, Nichols, Randle, Hardick, etc...  those guys didn't just walk into the team, they were brought here.

You don't understand the difference in finding an entry level contact player like Zylstra as a rookie compared to signing a free agent veteran for $180K.

It doesn't take a football genius to sign proven CFL veterans for big contracts.

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 03:18:09 PM »

The fact that Flanders played one game from BC doesn't negate the fact that we still needed to have a scouting report on him, and to prioritize him as someone to bring in once they let him go. Our scouts don't have to find the prospects fishing with a cane pole on a rickety bridge in Mississippi to have it count as a score.   I would also say that both Alexander and Walker can ball, they are just making rookie mistakes.  Even if they don't eventually pan out, they have shown well enough to justify their status as top prospects.  

I haven't researched the training camp rosters to state categorically that you are correct when you say 2017 was their best scouting year.  But common sense supports that notion.  In the early years they needed to pick up key free agents, and once that work was done, the mining gets a little tougher.  I don't think your overall assessment is unfair though.  I think we just tend to more critical of our own scouts, because we see other team's great finds and don't really pay attention to their misses.  

I have to say that the only area they have really disappointed me in is the search for wide receivers. And I am still holding hope our for LDW.  I think he has the physical tools and effort, but the jury is out on what's between his ears.  

grab grass 'n growl
bunker

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »

Walters has been GM 4 1/2 years. He's done many things right. Finding good young American talent is not one of them. Alexander and Walker have not even proven they are capable of starting in the CFL. Other than Hurl, they were the weakest part of the team last year. Santos-Knox would rank in the bottom 1/3 of WIL's in the league, only got to start after Wild was injured. Foketi has not managed to become a starter. Flanders is good for what he is, which is a rotational RB to divert attention from Harris and give him a rest at times. He's no James Wilder. A handful of good American running backs like him show up in the CFL every year. None of these players are major impact players.

Johnson played well,and I like him, but when push came to shove, Poop sat in favour of Nevis. Maybe he'll have a breakout year, I don't know. So far he's no Almondo Sewell, Micah Johnson,Dylan Wynn.

Jeffcoat also played well. A very good find, but if Westerman is back, he will likely still be a rotational DE behind T.O. and Westerman. Not to say he's not a good player, maybe he'll even beat out T.O. for playing time. But he's far from a John Bowman (in his prime),Willie Jefferson, Charlston Hughes, or Victor Butler.

Bond is the best of the lot. No argument there, he's a dominant O-lineman. Unfortunately, he seems to play best at guard, which is a non-traditional Import position, and he's likely gone  to either NFL or another team.

So 4 1/2 years, and we've got, what, one major impact American player through scouting that we are not able to retain. Compare that to other teams. Last off season alone Toronto was able to trot out Butler, Wynn, and Wilder.

Walters ticks all the boxes for most of what a GM should do, and he does it well, but this is his (with apologies to Mo Leggett) achilles heel.
kkc60

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »

Aren't you sensing a theme to with those names? They are mostly linemen. Foketi, Alexander and Walker are all a little bit of a reach to say "not bad" considering they have either hardly played or proven very little in their first season. Look at Calgary and how much of their roster was found via scouting
kkc60

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »

His drafting skills have been pretty good for the most part. But you can't honestly cover the fact our scouting department has been below average by essentially saying "we paid free agents who are good to come here so even though our scouting department sucks, our GM us good at negotiating with free agents"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: