Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2018, 08:27:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics thread  (Read 6850 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »

Hobo hockey team couldn't beat Germany. The most useless hockey tournament approaches its unsatisfying conclusion. Who's the best team in the world? Who knows, but it's not the Canada B C team.
gbill2004

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »

I was only listening on the radio, but ya it really seemed like Canada was playing quite undisciplined. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »

Sure, blame them too. FWIW, I consider the owners "Bettman" because he represents their interests entirely.

What did the IOC have to do with it, though? Did they interfere? I'm actually asking, I did not know that was the case.

Yeah, Bettman is the commissioner and he does the bidding for the Board of Governors. It's also his job to do what's best for the NHL from a business standpoint.

The IOC, who basically threw the IIF under the bus, refused to cover the costs associated with NHL players going to Olympics (travel, accommodation, insurance) and the NHL didn't want to foot the bill, much less lose revenue on shutting down the season for at least two weeks. Neither side could work out a compromise.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/nhl-ioc-olympics-1.4054346
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:00:21 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »

Yeah, Bettman is the commissioner and he does the bidding for the Board of Governors. It's also his job to do what's best for the NHL from a business standpoint.

The IOC refused to cover the costs associated with NHL players going to Olympics (travel, accommodation, insurance) and the NHL didn't want to foot the bill, much less lose revenue on shutting down the season for at least two weeks.
from a logical standpoint, I agree with Bettman.  The IOC makes millions of dollars form the NHL players being at the Olympics.  If they don't want to share that with the NHL or at the very least cover some of the NHL's costs, that's on the IOC, not Bettman.  The IOC is just being selfish here. 
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »

The IOC, who basically threw the IIF under the bus, refused to cover the costs associated with NHL players going to Olympics (travel, accommodation, insurance) and the NHL didn't want to foot the bill, much less lose revenue on shutting down the season for at least two weeks. Neither side could work out a compromise.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/nhl-ioc-olympics-1.4054346

Thank you.

from a logical standpoint, I agree with Bettman.  The IOC makes millions of dollars form the NHL players being at the Olympics.  If they don't want to share that with the NHL or at the very least cover some of the NHL's costs, that's on the IOC, not Bettman.  The IOC is just being selfish here. 

Yes, I get why Bettman and the owners are against it, and why the IOC is, as always, dysfunctional. In the end, everyone in the world minus 31 governors, one commissioner, and however many people do the decision making with the IOC end up losing.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »

I couldn't care less if NHL players are in the Olympics, but if they're not, do a real world cup every four years. Not the fake one that they ran into Toronto with the young guns and that. Real best on best with qualifying for the teams. In fact, that would end up being better than the Olympics anyway.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »

Both parties are to blame, IMO. This was about money and self-interest from both the IOC and the NHL. Greed on both sides essentially blew this opportunity to showcase the world's best arguably the biggest stage.

I couldn't care less if NHL players are in the Olympics, but if they're not, do a real world cup every four years. Not the fake one that they ran into Toronto with the young guns and that. Real best on best with qualifying for the teams. In fact, that would end up being better than the Olympics anyway.

I think that's more or less the plan. But I also think what was done in 2016 will be the norm going forward: making it as flashy and unique as possible. It's meant to make money, after all. And the 2016 WHC made its fair share.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:53:38 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2018, 08:20:19 PM »

Should have sent our Spengler cup team...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »

https://olympics.cbc.ca//news/article/canadian-athlete-arrested-released-after-alleged-drunken-car-theft.html

A Canadian athlete has been arrested and released after allegedly stealing a car and driving drunk in South Korea.

Pyeongchang police allege the unnamed athlete had a blood alcohol level of .160 and was with his wife and manager at the time.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »

Saw the last 30 seconds because I forgot, but bronze. Yay

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2018, 02:05:09 PM »

Glad we got a medal at least

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »

Well I guess there was no guarantee of gold if the NHLers has played so getting a medal is still something to be proud of in the context of the competition that was present.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2018, 07:09:15 PM »

Wow.  Just watching the replay of the gold medal hockey game - what a play by OAR to tie it up short handed with 55 seconds left.  Some lucky bounces but wow a pretty good game. 
BomberPride

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »

Highest medal count ever for Winter Olympics.

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »

Highest medal count ever for Winter Olympics.

A really great outing for Canada this year. To think 30 medals could've been cracked with either curling team getting on the podium is very, very impressive.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: