Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 04:40:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undercover High  (Read 838 times)
Chris1982
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »

Anyone check out the premiere of this show last night??

I thought it was pretty good and looks like it should be a pretty interesting documentary.

"The show follows the seven participants, ages 21 to 26, as they pose as students at Highland Park High School in Topeka, Kansas, during the spring 2017 semester.

The goal of the program is to expose the challenges of students and school staff, as well as provide administrators details students would ordinarily never share with them.

"I always wonder, what is a student not telling us that they will only tell a peer?" Tiffany Anderson, the superintendent of Topeka Public Schools, said in an early episode.

Over the semester, the young adults were exposed to bullying, sexual harassment, poverty, violence, and drug addiction, among other issues. And in some cases, administrators did not realize the extent of the problems.

"All of those topics are discussed at some level at school, but between students, the insight is just much deeper than what we would have gained otherwise," Anderson told Business Insider.

The participants tried to look like convincing high-school students. The men shaved to look younger, while one woman, a 25-year-old named Erin, was even fitted with braces. They took a full course load and did assignments like the rest of the students."
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »

I'm suspicious but admittedly didn't see the show. How did they pull this off? Tricking students into thinking their new classmates were, in fact, high school students is one thing, but did they outfit the school with cameras and audio recording equipment? Anyone under age would also have to have waivers signed by parents and they wouldn't be able to conceal from the parents the nature of their filming. Was every parent in on it too? Did they pretend they were filming for some other reason instead and hope the kids would act normal?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:59:31 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
Chris1982
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:42:06 AM »

Yes. There was a cover story for the other students and A&E seems to have dotted all their Is and crossed all their Ts. It all seems legit. You really need to check it out to have all of your questions answered.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:15:28 PM »

Yes. There was a cover story for the other students and A&E seems to have dotted all their Is and crossed all their Ts. It all seems legit. You really need to check it out to have all of your questions answered.

Sounds good, I'm just curious. In the sue happy United States especially, I imagine something like that would be immensely hard to pull off.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »

haven't seen the show myself...article in the Kansas newspaper sheds a bit of light on the background and logistics of the show..

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article193629069.html

....Months before filming began in January 2017, producers met several times with Anderson, former Highland Park Principal Beryl New, school board members, parents and alumni to talk about the project.

Anderson was adamant that the filming not get in the way of the school?s primary mission: educating the kids. She wanted transparency, too. The school community knew from the get-go that there would be individuals at the school who were not actual students. But few people knew who they were until the end.

Henry wanted to make sure the show didn?t exploit the students. Only those who agreed to appear in the series are shown, he said.

?We didn?t want anyone to feel duped, but we also wanted to say: ?We?re going to do this together. We?ll just be in high school together,?? he said. ?We didn?t want to hide.?

The cameras, Anderson said, were a novelty for the first few days. But after a while, students just ignored them. Some of the students told her that crew members mentored them by giving them information about broadcasting and media work, a ?beautiful connection,? she called it.

At first, people thought the seven embedded students were actors. But one was a youth pastor from Nashville. One young woman from New Mexico had been a teenage mom. A brother and sister from Georgia moved to the United States through DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

The seven embeds moved into apartments and homes around Topeka. Some of them rode the bus to school, a couple of them lived close by and walked. One young woman got braces to look younger. The production crew worked out of an office in downtown Topeka.

?These seven folks willingly put their lives on hold,? Henry said. ?We took their cell phones and credit cards. And basically they ... cut themselves off from their lives.?

Social media and how high-schoolers use it quickly became an issue. One of the embedded students, a 22-year-old woman named Lina, heard that she had become the subject of sexual remarks in a group text soon after she arrived.

She told the principal, who found that some of the people involved weren?t even students in the district.

Participants, a few of whom graduated from high school just five years ago, were surprised by the constant cellphone use, and the pressures and stress that creates. There?s no real escape, one told Business Insider.

?One of the things that was sobering was the role of social media in these kids? lives,? Henry said. ?For me it is both a blessing and a curse on many levels.?
Chris1982
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:52:54 PM »

Sounds good, I'm just curious. In the sue happy United States especially, I imagine something like that would be immensely hard to pull off.

I agree... I did not intend to be rude by being so blunt... it is just really difficult to explain the entire concept and all their angles on here... I would recommend everyone check it out.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:09 AM »

its complete garbage

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
Chris1982
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »

its complete garbage

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion  Cheesy Roll Eyes
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion  Cheesy Roll Eyes

LOL

Have you watched it?    Its crap.

Chris1982
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »

LOL

Have you watched it?    Its crap.

Yes.  I made the original post.  I think its a really interesting show.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »

Yes.  I made the original post.  I think its a really interesting show.

Yes i know you did. Im not dissing you dude.  Just saying that my opinion is that show is complete garbage.

Im sure you wanted others opinion on it right?  That why you posted it?

Chris1982
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 09:13:49 PM »

Yes i know you did. Im not dissing you dude.  Just saying that my opinion is that show is complete garbage.

Im sure you wanted others opinion on it right?  That why you posted it?

A little more insight besides "it's garbage" woulda been alright. Lol

But I wasn't really seeking opinions.  Just letting people know the show is out there.  Too many shows on TV to discuss opinions of every show.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:15 AM »

A little more insight besides "it's garbage" woulda been alright. Lol

But I wasn't really seeking opinions.  Just letting people know the show is out there.  Too many shows on TV to discuss opinions of every show.
[/b]

LOL

Its garbage and i hope nobody wastes any valuble time on this crap 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: