Blue Bombers Forum
January 16, 2018, 11:57:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watching sports in 4K  (Read 214 times)
The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

« on: January 08, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »

I was watching a Jets game before Christmas and heard Dennis Beyak mention some WJHC games were going to be broadcast in 4K. I didn't get a chance to watch any, but did some investigating and it looks like TSN has some other events available in 4K. https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-4k-broadcast-schedule-1.900579
I only have TSN 3 so I can't watch anything from the link for awhile, but looks like Rogers has specific 4K channels and they mention you also need a special 4K receiver. http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/watch-nhl-nba-games-sportsnet-4k/ TSN says nothing about needing a different kind of receiver or different channel.
I'm wondering if anyone here has watched any hockey or basketball in 4K yet and can tell me if I need a 4K receiver to view with TSN and if it is on the regular TSN channels?
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »

You need a 4K TV, a 4K channel feed (so like TSN has to say, this is in 4K), and 4K cable service (so the cable box and service needs to be capable of 4K). If you don't have all three, no 4K. I have Shaw Blue Sky and while I love it, I don't believe the system outputs in 4K currently, even though I have the TV and sometimes TSN says 'this is broadcast in 4K'.

More generally, 4K Netflix is easy. You just need the subscription level and TV.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:21:44 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:20:23 PM »

You will need a different "box" most likely.  Every provider will be a bit different.  There isn't that much content currently.
Chris1982

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »

I much prefer watching on an old Curtis Mathes brand TV with rabbit ears  Grin

Winnipeg born and raised, Oak Park alum.
gbill2004

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:31:11 PM »

I watch all sports on my 720p 42" plasma television and it's more than I need! 
BlueInCgy

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:03:31 PM »

For the limited amount of 4K I've watched (Netflix on a hotel 4K TV), it's almost too sharp and too vivid, and I can imagine in live action sports, it could almost be a bit nauseating until you got used to it.  I'm not jumping on the 4K bandwagon just yet, simply for economic reasons, as there are too many TVs in my house already that I would have to upgrade.
Colton

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »

You need a 4K TV, a 4K channel feed (so like TSN has to say, this is in 4K), and 4K cable service (so the cable box and service needs to be capable of 4K). If you don't have all three, no 4K. I have Shaw Blue Sky and while I love it, I don't believe the system outputs in 4K currently, even though I have the TV and sometimes TSN says 'this is broadcast in 4K'.

More generally, 4K Netflix is easy. You just need the subscription level and TV.

You also need a connection that can maintain the stream at actual 4K resolution, something that even a gigabit connection can struggle with.
The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »

Yeah there is not a lot of content out there yet that is for sure.
I bought the TV on Black Friday and wasn't even considering 4K at the time but I came across a deal I couldn't pass up.
I did some research after I set it up and there was almost nothing available at that time. At least now TSN and Rogers have some options in the links I posted.
I didn't bother with the Netfix upgrade to see programming in 4K as I don't watch enough TV to justify the extra cost, so all I have ever seen in 4K are random videos on youtube. It's pretty awesome though, and even in regular HD the picture is way better than the 1080p TV it replaced.
I may be switching providers next month (currently with Shaw) so I'll re-check what the options are then.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 11:54:06 PM »

Yeah there is not a lot of content out there yet that is for sure.
I bought the TV on Black Friday and wasn't even considering 4K at the time but I came across a deal I couldn't pass up.
I did some research after I set it up and there was almost nothing available at that time. At least now TSN and Rogers have some options in the links I posted.
I didn't bother with the Netfix upgrade to see programming in 4K as I don't watch enough TV to justify the extra cost, so all I have ever seen in 4K are random videos on youtube. It's pretty awesome though, and even in regular HD the picture is way better than the 1080p TV it replaced.
I may be switching providers next month (currently with Shaw) so I'll re-check what the options are then.

MTS?

Good luck with that especially for TV

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
GCn17

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:02 AM »

I'm currently using an Optoma 4k projector and streaming 4k video from TSNGO with my XBOX One X which is 4k streaming compatible. I have heard that TSNGO is available as an app on Samsung SMART 4k TVs. To my knowledge there are no cable companies capable of 4k broadcasting.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:41:22 AM by GCn17 » Logged

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
GCn17

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 02:43:09 AM »

You also need a connection that can maintain the stream at actual 4K resolution, something that even a gigabit connection can struggle with.

My MTS internet has no problem with it.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Colton

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 05:15:39 AM »

My MTS internet has no problem with it.

Compared to an actual 4K video file, it does. Unless you're literally the only human on earth Netflix streams flawless 4K to.
theaardvark

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »

4K is like CD's... there is a reason some people prefer vinyl...  and tube amps... 

I have a 50" Sony front projection CRT driven TV sitting in my garage...  remember the one with the mirror that would motor out when you turn them on?  The turntable of TV's...

Going to set it up and hook up all my classic games to it...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »

Really? Shaw 150 seems to work fine at our house.
Chris1982

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 09:04:47 PM »

I am telling you, get an old Curtis Mathes brand TV with rabbit ears... best investment ever  Cool

Winnipeg born and raised, Oak Park alum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: