Blue Bombers Forum
January 16, 2018, 12:16:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild Signs Extension for 2018  (Read 1714 times)
thunderNlightning

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Re-sign Linebacker Ian Wild

WINNIPEG, MB., January 8, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has re-signed International linebacker Ian Wild to a one-year contract. Wild was set to become a free agent in February.

Wild has spent the past five seasons with Winnipeg, playing in 52 career regular season games while recording 233 defensive tackles, 48 special teams tackles, eight sacks, one interceptions, two defensive touchdowns, and eight forced fumbles.

Wild missed 13 games last season due to injury, but recorded 14 defensive tackles, one sack, and one forced fumble in five games.

Played in 52 out of 90 games possible (regular season). That is barely over half the games he has played in. That is a pretty alarming stat.
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »

Played in 52 out of 90 games possible (regular season). That is barely over half the games he has played in. That is a pretty alarming stat.

Durability has not been a strong suit for Wild, which is unfortunate considering the skill and heart be brings to the table. What's also a plus is when he does suit up, he contributes consistently.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
blueraid

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »

When he plays he is very effective....just has to stay healthy in 18'....Apparently Ian said he told Walters and O'Shea he wants this 'one more shot' at winning it all...He was here for most of those 'bad years' and wants to go out a winner...I think he deserves that shot.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »

When he plays he is very effective....just has to stay healthy in 18'....Apparently Ian said he told Walters and O'Shea he wants this 'one more shot' at winning it all...He was here for most of those 'bad years' and wants to go out a winner...I think he deserves that shot.

Is that really his thinking? Where did you hear that? He's only 27 and most players his age would be thinking about playing a bunch more years yet.
the paw

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »

It's also not accurate.  He was gone to the NFL in 2015, so he wasn't eligible for at least 12 of those games.  So its more like 52 out of 78 games. 

Not great, but it's really a question of whether last year was just bad luck, or a trend. Given they physicality of his play, I would only expect 14 games out of him in a typical year.   If he has another year with 12 of less games, then I think it is time to get alarmed. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue girl

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »

He wasn't one of my must signs but he does give us depth at LB and could be a backup long snapper. Good signing.
booch

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »

last year was just a fluke freak injury...he made a great play and in the tumble down landed in the worst possible way on his hand and hence....snap!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 09:23:00 PM »

last year was just a fluke freak injury...he made a great play and in the tumble down landed in the worst possible way on his hand and hence....snap!
that freak injury thing is such a BS remark. When Buck was at Qb we would hear that freak injury crap all the time. It?s really these guys bodies cannot take the punishment.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 09:25:42 PM »

that freak injury thing is such a BS remark. When Buck was at Qb we would hear that freak injury crap all the time. It?s really these guys bodies cannot take the punishment.

It's a combination of things I think. Buck's playing style had a lot to do with his injuries as did the offensive line and system we had at the time. Wild has had a bunch of injuries to be critical about but his latest, the broken wrist, can happen to anyone. I don't think his wrist was weaker or pre-disposed to breaking compared to another's.
booch

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »

I beg to differ...that was a freak fluke injury...I suffered pretty much exact same injury and done in the exact same way...probably made that play or similar one a thousand times...and same as Wild and at that particular time just the way we fell..momentum...it was an awkward landing and it broke.

Never happened to me ever again in 6 years of ball after that...or in any year prior to it...some times injuries are just freak bizarre injuries
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »

I beg to differ...that was a freak fluke injury...I suffered pretty much exact same injury and done in the exact same way...probably made that play or similar one a thousand times...and same as Wild and at that particular time just the way we fell..momentum...it was an awkward landing and it broke.

Never happened to me ever again in 6 years of ball after that...or in any year prior to it...some times injuries are just freak bizarre injuries

Fare enough let?s make a bet. That Wild makes it through even the first 9 reg season games unscathed including camp and preseason? Farmers bet.    I say NO he won?t

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
booch

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:18 PM »

I am going to say that if he doesn't get released in camp..he will play 16 games....Smiley
Probably one of the more fit guys on the team and the goofy yoga he does actually makes the body stronger and less likely to be hurt..as odd as it sounds seeing as he has missed a few games but I think he was more unlucky and a victim of his playing style more than a band aid case....so bets on! haha
DM83

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 03:20:53 AM »

Great signing.  One of a few Blue Bomners who must have a W tattooed on his butt!   This is the kind of player all teams need.  Now sign Legett,,and get this show on the road?
GCn17

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »

I always call into question a players injury history when it's ligaments or muscles due to age, but broken bones are broken bones....could happen to anyone at anytime. Just bad luck.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »

What was Wild's injury in 2016?  Wasn't that more of a soft tissue problem like a hamstring or something?

Sometimes the style of play of a player leads to more injuries. Wild is full out contact, reckless abandon to his body. That makes him a bit more likely to have injuries but he's a top player when healthy.

To that end I see him better as our DI backing up several roles without a drop off should he need to replace a starter in game etc.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: