Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2018, 07:40:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild Signs Extension for 2018  (Read 4884 times)
BlueInCgy

« on: January 08, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/08/bombers-bring-back-lb-wild-2018/
Jesse

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »

Love Wild - but I hope we seriously look at bringing in some stiff competition for both LB spots.

We may still need a starter, as well as depth.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:18:15 PM »

We've sure shown some loyalty to Wild these last couple years. Let's hope it pays off next year and we have a backup plan just in case.
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »

Santos Knox did fairly well at WIL. So which ever player starts we appear to have a back up. Even if Santos Knox starts at MLB we have some crossover ability depending on who else we find in free agency or TC at which position.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:24:46 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »

Good signing, as long as we have other options at WIL for when he gets injured.  Wild can start, is a special teams daemon, and is also a backup long-snapper.  I'd say we probably got him at a discount compared to his salary last season.  
TBURGESS

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »

Wild wasn't on my 'must sign' list. He's injured too often to be counted on. Hope he took a pay cut, cuz he hasn't earned his full salary for a couple of years.

Welcome back, I guess.

Being right never gets old.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »

Good signing. He seems to fit in well with the team's identity and is pretty versatile, too. Hopefully, he's backing up Santos-Knox and starting on ST this season.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »

Wild wasn't on my 'must sign' list. He's injured too often to be counted on. Hope he took a pay cut, cuz he hasn't earned his full salary for a couple of years.

Welcome back, I guess.

I am ok with this signing if he took a good size pay cut and rotates in and not play every down. He just is not what he was 2-3 years ago and we need better at that position.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 05:56:02 PM »

Meh! he is always hurt. I would of taken a pass if it were me. The guy has played what? 5 games the last two years?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
theaardvark

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »

I'm sure Walters didn't break the bank here, probably a goods value deal, with incentives.  But he is a good guy, backup LS, solid teamer and an amazing tackler when healthy.  Good signing,  Not a must, but a good.  Now that we have a couple D signed, maybe more dominoes fall.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:57:56 PM »

Welcome back, I guess.
pretty much my exact thoughts

Tehedra

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 06:42:13 PM »

pretty much my exact thoughts

This was also what I was feeling as welel
thunderNlightning

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »

Does the cap go up this year? Thought I read or heard somewhere it will go up a bit.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 07:08:46 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Re-sign Linebacker Ian Wild

WINNIPEG, MB., January 8, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has re-signed International linebacker Ian Wild to a one-year contract. Wild was set to become a free agent in February.

Wild has spent the past five seasons with Winnipeg, playing in 52 career regular season games while recording 233 defensive tackles, 48 special teams tackles, eight sacks, one interceptions, two defensive touchdowns, and eight forced fumbles.

Wild missed 13 games last season due to injury, but recorded 14 defensive tackles, one sack, and one forced fumble in five games.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pigskin

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 07:41:20 PM »

Heart and Soul player, if he could stay healthy. Good signing.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Re-sign Linebacker Ian Wild

WINNIPEG, MB., January 8, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has re-signed International linebacker Ian Wild to a one-year contract. Wild was set to become a free agent in February.

Wild has spent the past five seasons with Winnipeg, playing in 52 career regular season games while recording 233 defensive tackles, 48 special teams tackles, eight sacks, one interceptions, two defensive touchdowns, and eight forced fumbles.

Wild missed 13 games last season due to injury, but recorded 14 defensive tackles, one sack, and one forced fumble in five games.

Played in 52 out of 90 games possible (regular season). That is barely over half the games he has played in. That is a pretty alarming stat.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »

Played in 52 out of 90 games possible (regular season). That is barely over half the games he has played in. That is a pretty alarming stat.

Durability has not been a strong suit for Wild, which is unfortunate considering the skill and heart be brings to the table. What's also a plus is when he does suit up, he contributes consistently.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
blueraid

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »

When he plays he is very effective....just has to stay healthy in 18'....Apparently Ian said he told Walters and O'Shea he wants this 'one more shot' at winning it all...He was here for most of those 'bad years' and wants to go out a winner...I think he deserves that shot.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »

When he plays he is very effective....just has to stay healthy in 18'....Apparently Ian said he told Walters and O'Shea he wants this 'one more shot' at winning it all...He was here for most of those 'bad years' and wants to go out a winner...I think he deserves that shot.

Is that really his thinking? Where did you hear that? He's only 27 and most players his age would be thinking about playing a bunch more years yet.
the paw

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »

It's also not accurate.  He was gone to the NFL in 2015, so he wasn't eligible for at least 12 of those games.  So its more like 52 out of 78 games. 

Not great, but it's really a question of whether last year was just bad luck, or a trend. Given they physicality of his play, I would only expect 14 games out of him in a typical year.   If he has another year with 12 of less games, then I think it is time to get alarmed. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue girl

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »

He wasn't one of my must signs but he does give us depth at LB and could be a backup long snapper. Good signing.
booch

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »

last year was just a fluke freak injury...he made a great play and in the tumble down landed in the worst possible way on his hand and hence....snap!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 09:23:00 PM »

last year was just a fluke freak injury...he made a great play and in the tumble down landed in the worst possible way on his hand and hence....snap!
that freak injury thing is such a BS remark. When Buck was at Qb we would hear that freak injury crap all the time. It?s really these guys bodies cannot take the punishment.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 09:25:42 PM »

that freak injury thing is such a BS remark. When Buck was at Qb we would hear that freak injury crap all the time. It?s really these guys bodies cannot take the punishment.

It's a combination of things I think. Buck's playing style had a lot to do with his injuries as did the offensive line and system we had at the time. Wild has had a bunch of injuries to be critical about but his latest, the broken wrist, can happen to anyone. I don't think his wrist was weaker or pre-disposed to breaking compared to another's.
booch

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »

I beg to differ...that was a freak fluke injury...I suffered pretty much exact same injury and done in the exact same way...probably made that play or similar one a thousand times...and same as Wild and at that particular time just the way we fell..momentum...it was an awkward landing and it broke.

Never happened to me ever again in 6 years of ball after that...or in any year prior to it...some times injuries are just freak bizarre injuries
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »

I beg to differ...that was a freak fluke injury...I suffered pretty much exact same injury and done in the exact same way...probably made that play or similar one a thousand times...and same as Wild and at that particular time just the way we fell..momentum...it was an awkward landing and it broke.

Never happened to me ever again in 6 years of ball after that...or in any year prior to it...some times injuries are just freak bizarre injuries

Fare enough let?s make a bet. That Wild makes it through even the first 9 reg season games unscathed including camp and preseason? Farmers bet.    I say NO he won?t

booch

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:18 PM »

I am going to say that if he doesn't get released in camp..he will play 16 games....Smiley
Probably one of the more fit guys on the team and the goofy yoga he does actually makes the body stronger and less likely to be hurt..as odd as it sounds seeing as he has missed a few games but I think he was more unlucky and a victim of his playing style more than a band aid case....so bets on! haha
DM83

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 03:20:53 AM »

Great signing.  One of a few Blue Bomners who must have a W tattooed on his butt!   This is the kind of player all teams need.  Now sign Legett,,and get this show on the road?
GCn18

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »

I always call into question a players injury history when it's ligaments or muscles due to age, but broken bones are broken bones....could happen to anyone at anytime. Just bad luck.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »

What was Wild's injury in 2016?  Wasn't that more of a soft tissue problem like a hamstring or something?

Sometimes the style of play of a player leads to more injuries. Wild is full out contact, reckless abandon to his body. That makes him a bit more likely to have injuries but he's a top player when healthy.

To that end I see him better as our DI backing up several roles without a drop off should he need to replace a starter in game etc.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 07:02:20 PM »

What was Wild's injury in 2016?  Wasn't that more of a soft tissue problem like a hamstring or something?

Sometimes the style of play of a player leads to more injuries. Wild is full out contact, reckless abandon to his body. That makes him a bit more likely to have injuries but he's a top player when healthy.

To that end I see him better as our DI backing up several roles without a drop off should he need to replace a starter in game etc.

Wild plays a very similar style to Sol-E in BC, he goes low on his tackles and often takes a beating from the knees and feet of the player he's tackling.  I'm amazed how durable Elimimian is for the amount of tackles he makes.
kkc60

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »

Similar to the Nevis signing. The timing here looks bad, as we have much bigger pending FAs to sign. But I still like the signing, so long as it's not guaranteeing a roster spot (similar to Nevis). It keeps us from going into TC next season with just rookies or 2nd year guys
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 12:51:45 AM »

Great news
He will be better and healthy

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
GCn18

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 02:23:33 AM »

Similar to the Nevis signing. The timing here looks bad, as we have much bigger pending FAs to sign. But I still like the signing, so long as it's not guaranteeing a roster spot (similar to Nevis). It keeps us from going into TC next season with just rookies or 2nd year guys

Some contracts just take longer to get done than others because of real world logistics. I don't think that the timing of signings necessarily mean anything. We are only a month and a half out from the end of the season. Some guys may have taken a long vacation and are unavailable right now.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »

Fare enough let?s make a bet. That Wild makes it through even the first 9 reg season games unscathed including camp and preseason? Farmers bet.    I say NO he won?t

how about trying a little positive thinking and not bet that a buy gets hurt  Roll Eyes

pjrocksmb

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 12:39:21 PM »

We didn't sign either to sit.  They are starters and will only lose their job if someone makes a huge splash at camp or they get rotated.

Both guys are good enough to start.

blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »

Great news
He will be better and healthy

Oh good, I was worried for a minute there. Thanks for the confirmation!

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
kkc60

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 01:32:58 PM »

We didn't sign either to sit.  They are starters and will only lose their job if someone makes a huge splash at camp or they get rotated.

Both guys are good enough to start.
I'm just saying I hope we didn't sign Nevis to a big money deal, ditto Wild. I just hope we don't pin our hopes on Wild and JSK, because that's crazy risky
booch

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »

JSK performed quite well...and will only get better after another TC especially if he is getting projected starter reps and attention.

You have to remember in college he was a tackling machine and played all the line backing spots and some hybrid roles...so it's not like he has a lot of new things coming his way.
Another thing to remember he came into Bomber camp late..and managed to stick...so possibly with a full TC last year he may have earned a starting spot right out of the gate.
He is the least of our worries on the defensive side of the ball, and from what I have observed he flows well to the ball..knows how to scrape and get to the ball carrier without getting lost in the wash (ala Hurl) and takes great angles and pursuit lanes to the ball carrier and is a true sideline to sideline guy.

He also has the nice loose hips for a linebacker and can pivot and drop into coverage and run with a receiver coming out of the backfiels very well...I'm looking for big things from him this year actually
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »

I'm just saying I hope we didn't sign Nevis to a big money deal, ditto Wild. I just hope we don't pin our hopes on Wild and JSK, because that's crazy risky

I doubt either got big money to stay with the Bombers, but especially Wild.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 01:52:06 PM »

I think that RE: Nevis, we have to trust that the coaching and management staff looked at his role this past season, and discussed how he would be used next season - especially in regards to what effect the ratio will have on him - and paid him fairly to that.

He does not play a position that the average fan can look at the stat page and say he was ineffective and deserves a pay decrease.
booch

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »

when he was on roster he was very effective....tho not stat wise...he does the ugly work for the other guys to be freed up...I like his signing
Blue72

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »

I just hope that if JSK is going to be penciled in at MLB that they also bring in another guy for that spot. Don't forget we still have MOS and Hall as the coaches and they had a love for Hurl.
Blue In BC

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 03:36:54 PM »

JSK was our 2nd leading tackler and he wasn't on the roster at the beginning of the season. When Wild was healthy we had Kyle Knox on the roster IIRC and then added JSK when Wild went onto the IR.

Anybody know how many games JSK actually was starting at WIL?

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 03:39:56 PM »

Pretty sure he started 9 games
the paw

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »

JSK was our 2nd leading tackler and he wasn't on the roster at the beginning of the season. When Wild was healthy we had Kyle Knox on the roster IIRC and then added JSK when Wild went onto the IR.

Anybody know how many games JSK actually was starting at WIL?

Based on his stats, it appears he started 8 regular season and one playoff game.  He didn't dress for a game until week 4, and then it appears the Banjo Bowl was his first start. 

grab grass 'n growl
booch

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »

I just hope that if JSK is going to be penciled in at MLB that they also bring in another guy for that spot. Don't forget we still have MOS and Hall as the coaches and they had a love for Hurl.

You would think yes there will be competition for that spot if he is one of the guys they want to try there...I also think we may see a lot of 3-4 type fronts this year as well.
Blue In BC

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »

Pretty sure he started 9 games

Well that's a pretty impressive set of stats he posted for half a season. Do you think he will start TC penciled in at MLB or WIL?

IMO I still see Wild as more of a DI and role player in 2018. I'm not sure that I wouldn't rather see 1 change at LB than 2 but perhaps the Bombers plan on Wild starting at WIL?

Any thoughts on where Santos Knox is best suited.

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »

Well that's a pretty impressive set of stats he posted for half a season. Do you think he will start TC penciled in at MLB or WIL?

IMO I still see Wild as more of a DI and role player in 2018. I'm not sure that I wouldn't rather see 1 change at LB than 2 but perhaps the Bombers plan on Wild starting at WIL?

Any thoughts on where Santos Knox is best suited.
In another thread on this subject I suggested I'd like to see Santos Knox get a look at MLB and you were adamant he was better suited at WIL. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 03:56:42 PM »

In another thread on this subject I suggested I'd like to see Santos Knox get a look at MLB and you were adamant he was better suited at WIL. 

That's not what I said. I said we know he plays well at WIL but we don't know if he would be better suited to MLB. So why move him and create what might be a void at WIL. As the saying goes if it isn't broken ( WIL ) than why change it?

I've suggested that Wild may no longer be the starter ( just my opinion ) but see him in a role as a DI. So that would possibly suggest a " rookie " at WIL and and 2nd year MLB that is unproven in the role.

I might also point out in previous seasons we moved WILD and Bass from WIL to MLB with less than successful results. Not every good WIL makes a good MLB.

This is not the same as giving him an opportunity at MLB but then he loses reps at WIL.

If the Bombers have decided that Wild is going to start at WIL than obviously he either has to win the role at MLB or he becomes the DI.

Also thinking Kyle Knox is likely not re-signed.

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »

That's not what I said. I said we know he plays well at WIL but we don't know if he would be better suited to MLB. So why move him and create what might be a void at WIL. As the saying goes if it isn't broken ( WIL ) than why change it?
The thing is that it is broke. Our D stunk last year and we are in desperate need for a legit MLB.  I think my earlier suggestion of Santos Knox at MLB just might be the answer.  There is a need to think outside the box.  You sure were quick to dismiss that idea in the other thread, when all I was suggesting was to give the guy a look at MLB.     
the paw

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 04:11:51 PM »

I've suggested that Wild may no longer be the starter ( just my opinion ) but see him in a role as a DI. So that would possibly suggest a " rookie " at WIL and and 2nd year MLB that is unproven in the role.

I might also point out in previous seasons we moved WILD and Bass from WIL to MLB with less than successful results. Not every good WIL makes a good MLB.

This is not the same as giving him an opportunity at MLB but then he loses reps at WIL.

If the Bombers have decided that Wild is going to start at WIL than obviously he either has to win the role at MLB or he becomes the DI.

Also thinking Kyle Knox is likely not re-signed.

Knox initially got the nod as the DI linebacker, with a promotion to WIL when Wild went down.  At the same time Santos-Knox came on as the DI.  Knox then missed a couple of games, and Santos got the promotion, and never gave the job back.   But Knox's numbers weren't terrible when he was starting. 

We know that the Bombers have tried Wild in the MLB spot before, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him there again.  I imagine Knox will get a look too, and I would be shocked if they don't have  new LB prospect or two in camp.  I am skeptical that they will make any big free agent splash at the position though. I can see all three (Santos, Wild and Knox) rotating through the two positions. 

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »

The idea of converting guys suited to WIL to MACK is kinda dumb, really.  Get a Mack.  Pushing Bighill out to MACK because you had Solly at MACK, that's a good idea, keeping two elite players on the field.  But moving a good WIL LB to MACK, rather than getting a good MACK, or even a great one, well, that dog just don't hunt.

We have a lot of good WIL LB's on the team, and some tweeners SAM/WIL or WIL/MACK, but no real MACK other than Hurl... and we know everyone's feeling about whether Hurl is a good MACK...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »

The idea of converting guys suited to WIL to MACK is kinda dumb, really.  Get a Mack.  Pushing Bighill out to MACK because you had Solly at MACK, that's a good idea, keeping two elite players on the field.  But moving a good WIL LB to MACK, rather than getting a good MACK, or even a great one, well, that dog just don't hunt.

We have a lot of good WIL LB's on the team, and some tweeners SAM/WIL or WIL/MACK, but no real MACK other than Hurl... and we know everyone's feeling about whether Hurl is a good MACK...
Santos Knox is very versatile...he played multiple positions throughout his college career.  I think it's dangerous, and quite frankly, not very smart, to pigeon him as a WIL only. 
booch

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »

define suited for?...curious

Are you referring to physical stature?...or mental capacity/experience/measurables?

Santos-Knox is actually bigger than Eliiminiam in B.C and basically a mirror image of Singleton in CGY....Comparable measurable s to both as well...so that would say is "suited" for the position...no?...also wayyy bigger than Sherrit who played the position just fine too

As a person who played the spot myself I see Santos-Knox very suited for it from a physical stand-point, as well as what he showed last year, and at UMASS.
He has adapted the American vs Canadian filed size and benchmarks seemlessly to be able to take correct pursuit and attack angles and has the athletic ability to go sideline to sideline to make and follow a play, as well as drop in coverage...
theaardvark

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »

Are you referring to physical stature?...or mental capacity/experience/measurables?

Santos-Knox is actually bigger than Eliiminiam in B.C and basically a mirror image of Singleton in CGY....Comparable measurable s to both as well...so that would say is "suited" for the position...no?...also wayyy bigger than Sherrit who played the position just fine too

As a person who played the spot myself I see Santos-Knox very suited for it from a physical stand-point, as well as what he showed last year, and at UMASS.
He has adapted the American vs Canadian filed size and benchmarks seemlessly to be able to take correct pursuit and attack angles and has the athletic ability to go sideline to sideline to make and follow a play, as well as drop in coverage...

Suited for = has talent/size to play the position.  You don't want a guy who can't cover as a WIL, or a guy who can't runstop as a MACK.  Size is a factor in those skills, sure, but as you point out, exceptional players make up for size with skill.

Blue In BC

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 05:19:42 PM »

Not sure who you're asking. If it was me I'm not referring to his size one way or another. He seems to have many qualities a MLB should have. Not every great MLB could switch to WIL either IMO.

Suited for could mean just about anything. Field of vision, durability, run stopping, ability to drop more into coverage at MLB than at WIL.

I'd say the speed of the game and shorter distances across the middle could be a factor.

As I mentioned Bass was a very good WIL and failed at MLB and O'Shea said he was not best suited in that role.

The point made is that if he's really good at WIL then why move him and have him as the back up possibly at MLB while finding a new MLB.

It really comes down to whether he is ahead or behind Wild at WIL going into TC.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:32:59 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 05:25:04 PM »

The thing is that it is broke. Our D stunk last year and we are in desperate need for a legit MLB.  I think my earlier suggestion of Santos Knox at MLB just might be the answer.  There is a need to think outside the box.  You sure were quick to dismiss that idea in the other thread, when all I was suggesting was to give the guy a look at MLB.     

Just like you dismissed my thought that WIL isn't broken. Considering he's only started about 9 games at WIL I wouldn't want to shift to much of his attention at learning that position even better.

One change at LB instead of 2. Of course this all depends on Wild's role and whether he's going into TC ahead or behind Santos Knox. My opinion is that I prefer Santos Knox as the WIL and Wild as a DI as a better option.

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »

Just like you dismissed my thought that WIL isn't broken. Considering he's only started about 9 games at WIL I wouldn't want to shift to much of his attention at learning that position even better.

One change at LB instead of 2. Of course this all depends on Wild's role and whether he's going into TC ahead or behind Santos Knox. My opinion is that I prefer Santos Knox as the WIL and Wild as a DI as a better option.
I never dismissed that.  I agree that WIL isn't broken.  But I'm looking at the bigger picture here.  We have tremendous depth at WIL, and nothing at MLB.  If one of the WIL LB's can also play MLB, then why not take a look to see if they guy is a fit?  Booch very nicely articulated in his analysis that it appears Santos Knox would be a good fit at MLB.  But there's only one way to find out for sure...
Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 05:41:30 PM »

I never dismissed that.  I agree that WIL isn't broken.  But I'm looking at the bigger picture here.  We have tremendous depth at WIL, and nothing at MLB.  If one of the WIL LB's can also play MLB, then why not take a look to see if they guy is a fit?  Booch very nicely articulated in his analysis that it appears Santos Knox would be a good fit at MLB.  But there's only one way to find out for sure...

And I explained my reasons for not switching him. Every TC we sign rookies that seems suited to play in the CFL because of all the things Booch has mentioned. We did last year and ended up starting Hurl.

Go figure. Regardless of what we say or think we'll see what the teams does. If we go out and sign a veteran like Woods or Sherritt that will suggest what we're doing. If we don't then we'll see who we bring in as rookies and what early days of TC see getting 1st string reps.

Last year Hurl got 1st string reps starting with day 1. I said that was not a good sign that we had any real thought of competition at MLB. Few believed me at the time.

I still fear we re-sign Hurl and that happens again in TC. O'Shea and Hall seem to be in love with Hurl.

If we lose Westerman, ratio may dictate what happened last year.

Let see what happens in what order as free agency happens etc. You don't think we're all looking at the bigger picture?

NOTE: Last off season many were saying similar things about Kyle Knox. Will we be surprised if we don't even re-sign him? We might but I'd say he's fallen down the depth chart.

No more excuses.
Jesse

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2018, 07:50:22 PM »

We have tremendous depth at WIL? I can't think of a single person on the roster I'd want replacing JSK if he moved to MLB.
gbill2004

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »

We have tremendous depth at WIL? I can't think of a single person on the roster I'd want replacing JSK if he moved to MLB.
Okay, when I say tremendous I mean JSK and Wild; 2 legit starters when healthy.  Wild's injuries have made him less reliable though.   
booch

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:05 PM »

Thing with JSK was prior to being here he was primarily an inside linebacker..so what he was asked to do here in his starts was more of a learning thing for him and sliding back to the . Middle would not be foreign or something of concern

Position wise it is a bit different American to Canadian and some different things responsibility and scheme wise but essentially pretty easy to go from one game to the other

But in his sample size he showed all the attributes of being able to play the position...and if you watch a lot of film of the last 6 games or so you will see he was playing a more middle linebacker role..and flowing to the play.

We actually used some new fronts and looks and a lot of it was a form of a 3-4 with different roles and use of our ends and KKNOX as well..using him..and different e d's as edge rushers and almost in a ty Jones and Quick Parker role...somerbing I hope and think we may expand on.

With what we have currently signed for d-lineman..poop and Nevis.. with ekakite and our current ends I can see us using this as a high pressure style where an online is going to have to try and guess where the pressure is going to   come from and utilize the athletism of our ends.

I wouldn't be surprised if we take a run at Willie Jefferson and have him in this combination.. it might be at the expense of Westerman and ratio change  but would make our front pretty potent
gbill2004

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »

Willie Jefferson re-signed with the Riders: http://3downnation.com/2017/11/20/freaky-athletic-defender-willie-jefferson-extends-contract-with-riders/
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2018, 10:58:53 PM »

I have to call horse feathers on that report from 3DownNation. There's no other report anywhere (TSN, CFL, etc.) on him re-signing back in November; not even the Roughriders organization itself announced an extension.

He's still listed as a pending free agent on CFL.ca: https://www.cfl.ca/fa18/#SSKFA
As of Nov. 30, he was listed as a pending FA by the Riders: https://www.riderville.com/2017/11/30/cfl-issued-list-pending-free-agents/

Unless it's simply a matter of 3DN catching wind of it but it remains unofficial. Who knows what's what in Jonestown.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2018, 01:47:23 PM »

I have to call horse feathers on that report from 3DownNation. There's no other report anywhere (TSN, CFL, etc.) on him re-signing back in November; not even the Roughriders organization itself announced an extension.

He's still listed as a pending free agent on CFL.ca: https://www.cfl.ca/fa18/#SSKFA
As of Nov. 30, he was listed as a pending FA by the Riders: https://www.riderville.com/2017/11/30/cfl-issued-list-pending-free-agents/

Unless it's simply a matter of 3DN catching wind of it but it remains unofficial. Who knows what's what in Jonestown.

That's an odd one and a good observation. I would lean towards your bolded sentence but who knows.
Blue In BC

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »

Willie Jefferson is a great player but DE isn't an area of weakness and he'd be a very expensive acquisition. Even if we lose Westerman DE is not the biggest area needing improvement although he is a ratio imperative.

Interesting thought though. I am looking to seeing Jeffcoat and Okpa in their 2nd seasons.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 06:11:01 PM »

I remember that announcement as well but I believe since that time Jefferson has been to several NFL camps, so he has no legal signed contract with the Riders.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:37:41 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: