Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2018, 02:21:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential free agent DB's / LB's in the CFL  (Read 12004 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »

Bombers have re-signed Wild, announcement will be forth coming.

I like Wild but he's been hit with some fluke injuries and missed a bunch of games. I wonder if they plan to use him more as a great utility guy rather than a full time starter. He can back up WIL and even MLB in situational schemes. He's the back up LS and a very good ST player.

Still a good signing and happy to have his experience back.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »

I like Wild but he's been hit with some fluke injuries and missed a bunch of games. I wonder if they plan to use him more as a great utility guy rather than a full time starter. He can back up WIL and even MLB in situational schemes. He's the back up LS and a very good ST player.

Still a good signing and happy to have his experience back.

This is a curious move, I suspect it means they are planning to move Santos Knox to MLB and start Wild at WIL, I have no problem with that as long as it works.  When healthy Wild is a great player and one of the team leaders.
Jesse

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »

This is a curious move, I suspect it means they are planning to move Santos Knox to MLB and start Wild at WIL, I have no problem with that as long as it works.  When healthy Wild is a great player and one of the team leaders.

Regardless of how they have the two lined up, they still need another player that is able to take over. The organization has to understand that we can't count on Wild to play every game.
Tehedra

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »

Is Wild even that good anymore? I mean I think he hasn't performed at a high level for a year and you could possibly even argue slightly longer. Maybe I just want some new faces. I just don't trust Wild will even be able to play more than half the games.
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »

Well it's been mentioned some feel Santos Knox could be a good choice at MLB or at least be given the opportunity during TC to win that role.

They may be right but I'd like to see us take a run at a known free agent if one comes available.

Tomorrow wouldn't be too soon to start signing college and ex NFL players to start stacking the TC roster. In a perfect world we find some young inexpensive phenom's. However after years not having success I'd feel more comfortable with the " bird in the hand " approach as well.

No more excuses.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »

Well it's been mentioned some feel Santos Knox could be a good choice at MLB or at least be given the opportunity during TC to win that role.

They may be right but I'd like to see us take a run at a known free agent if one comes available.

Tomorrow wouldn't be too soon to start signing college and ex NFL players to start stacking the TC roster. In a perfect world we find some young inexpensive phenom's. However after years not having success I'd feel more comfortable with the " bird in the hand " approach as well.

When this team is "close" , not sure young inexpensive at key positions will help us move forward.
Blue In BC

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 06:29:28 PM »

When this team is "close" , not sure young inexpensive at key positions will help us move forward.

We were close last year. That's meaningless going into 2018. Teams can go from top to bottom in a season. BC went from 2nd and playing in the 2016 WDF to 5th out of the playoffs in 2017.  Close is an excuse IMO.

On defense we have: Thomas, Westerman, Fogg, Heath, Randle, Knox, Hurl, Leggett all as potential free agents.  Five of those players are very important. Five were full time starters.

We improved in 2017 but it's not a guarantee what 2018 will look like. Every team needs to improve more than their opponents in their division. Too early to tell yet.

As far as young and inexpensive, I did say I'd prefer the " bird in hand " veteran approach to a degree. The problem with that is you never find the next Leggett or Heath for example. Free agency acquisitions is expensive and seems to fall into 1 year rental situations.

We can't we find the next Elimimian or Zylstra that were " inexpensive " their 1st 2 seasons.

There are giant questions for depth on the OL with the likely loss of Bond. Receivers, back up QB's, starting LB's remain as issues.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:17:11 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »

We were close last year. That's meaningless going into 2018. Teams can go from top to bottom in a season. BC went from 2nd and playing in the 2016 WDF to 5th out of the playoffs in 2017.  Close is an excuse IMO.

On defense we have: Thomas, Westerman, Fogg, Heath, Randle, Knox, Hurl, Leggett all as potential free agents.  Five of those players are very important. Five were full time starters.

We improved in 2017 but it's not a guarantee what 2018 will look like. Every team needs to improve more than their opponents in their division. Too early to tell yet.

As far as young and inexpensive, I did say I'd prefer the " bird in hand " veteran approach to a degree. The problem with that is you never find the next Leggett or Heath for example. Free agency acquisitions is expensive and seems to fall into 1 year rental situations.

We can't we find the next Elimimian or Zylstra that were " inexpensive " their 1st 2 seasons.

There are giant questions for depth on the OL with the likely loss of Bond
. Receivers, back up QB's, starting LB's remain as issues.

I'll just jump on this grenade...  Giant questions?  Maybe a question about a giant, but other than Bnd, the entire Oline is returning, with Spooner and Couture having another year under their belts, and Neufeld coming off his healthiest season ever.  The only question is, if Band leaves, who slides into LG.  Is it Chungh coming from RG or Neufeld, or does one of our younger guys step up at either RG or LG.  And who ends up as the Nat 6th Oline. 

Giant questions?  Hardly...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »

I'll just jump on this grenade...  Giant questions?  Maybe a question about a giant, but other than Bnd, the entire Oline is returning, with Spooner and Couture having another year under their belts, and Neufeld coming off his healthiest season ever.  The only question is, if Band leaves, who slides into LG.  Is it Chungh coming from RG or Neufeld, or does one of our younger guys step up at either RG or LG.  And who ends up as the Nat 6th Oline. 

I agree. One place we should be set at is along the line this year. We have depth there to match the best teams.
booch

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »

and I would say on both lines too...I think we may see a surprise d-line signing too this free agency...just a hunch
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 10:05:51 PM »

Yes giant questions. How can that be anything but a question, an unknown situation.

Neufeld is not as good as Bond and has been injury prone. He made a great depth guy that wouldn't be expected to play 18 games.

We aren't expecting Bond back. Possible NFL chance and ratio implications. Even other CFL options. Regardless it downgrades our OL. I'd venture to say Bond was our 2nd best OL.

Now our next up back up on the OL interior will be Couture or Spooner. Neither has any proven starting history so IMO that is a giant question yet to be answered.

Foketi remains a constant as a back up at T so in theory that's less of a concern and a status quo at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:13:33 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 11:14:43 PM »

Yes giant questions. How can that be anything but a question, an unknown situation.

Neufeld is not as good as Bond and has been injury prone. He made a great depth guy that wouldn't be expected to play 18 games.

We aren't expecting Bond back. Possible NFL chance and ratio implications. Even other CFL options. Regardless it downgrades our OL. I'd venture to say Bond was our 2nd best OL.

Now our next up back up on the OL interior will be Couture or Spooner. Neither has any proven starting history so IMO that is a giant question yet to be answered.

Foketi remains a constant as a back up at T so in theory that's less of a concern and a status quo at the moment.

So, the entire Oline (including backups) that ended last year is under contract, and we may lose 1 of the guys that started last year, and its a giant question?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 11:21:25 PM »

Even without Bond I like having Hardrick and Foketi back in the fold just in case things don't work out as planned with the 3 Natl. O-line.
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 12:08:39 AM »

So, the entire Oline (including backups) that ended last year is under contract, and we may lose 1 of the guys that started last year, and its a giant question?

Do you have a reading comprehension issue? We knew what Neufeld could bring as a backup even if that was a downgrade from Bond. We don't have any real idea about Couture of Spooner if they need to start.

We all remember what our OL was like BEFORE Bond. So yes the question exists about uncertainty.

Does that spell it out any more clearly?

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 12:10:39 AM »

Even without Bond I like having Hardrick and Foketi back in the fold just in case things don't work out as planned with the 3 Natl. O-line.

I know they are pretty high on Foketi but it seems Hardrick and Foketi are both more suited at T than at G.

Nothing prevented us from starting Foketi when Bond was injured and we choose to start Neufeld instead. While their were ratio implications, neither Neufeld or Foketi earned starting roles in 2017.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: