Blue Bombers Forum
August 15, 2018, 04:32:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential free agent DB's / LB's in the CFL  (Read 14499 times)
Blue In BC

« on: January 06, 2018, 09:09:16 PM »

Some top talent might reach free agency besides our top DB's

Gavins
Foster
Evans
Campbell
Grymes
White
Awasu-Ansah
Ladler

A couple may be bound for NFL attempts, some will re-sign with current teams.

Campbell, Ladler and Gavins would be at the top of my wish list whether re-sign Heath and Randle or not. If we don't re-sign our guys then the list becomes even more interesting if free agency is reached.

I can dream can't I?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:34:54 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »

Shaquille Richardson from Stamps should be on that list. He plays SAM but SAM is technically a DB position.

Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 11:19:22 PM »

Shaquille Richardson from Stamps should be on that list. He plays SAM but SAM is technically a DB position.

I only listed a few potentially available. There are a bunch of others as well. We'll see who's left by free agency and whether we can re-sign our guys. I don't know how much concern the Bombers have about Leggett's recovery but that could be a curve ball.

Richardson, Gavins and Ladler all might be candidates at SAM I suppose. Gavins is really flexible / talented and has several years experience. Could fill any of 3 positions IMO.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:22:44 PM »

Some top talent might reach free agency besides our top DB's

Gavins
Foster
Evans
Campbell
Grymes
White
Awasu-Ansah
Ladler

A couple may be bound for NFL attempts, some will re-sign with current teams.

Campbell, Ladler and Gavins would be at the top of my wish list whether re-sign Heath and Randle or not. If we don't re-sign our guys then the list becomes even more interesting if free agency is reached.

I can dream can't I?

I really like Campbell and White
thunderNlightning

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:07:41 PM »

What about doing a free agent linebacker list that are going to be in demand if available?
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »

What about doing a free agent linebacker list that are going to be in demand if available?

There are over 200 potential free agents and the list is over on CFL.CA. I think someone even broke it down by position. Probably not a lot of point yet in being too specific but there seemed to be a large number of DB's in the list. Even the Bombers have 3 top players as potential free agents.

As far as LB's IIRC there are less available but Sherritt and Konar ( A Canadian to boot ) would be of great interest. If Sherritt has fully recovered and becomes an SMS casualty in Edm.

EDIT: Taylor Reed, Bear Woods, Larry Dean, Jeff Knox and Sedarius Bryant are also on the list.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:19:33 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »

We need Heath and Randall. We need Leggett to be OK.

I'm very concerned about our secondary. Throw in huge question marks at MLB too.

We may be looking at some major personnel changes on D, and while they were a weakness at times, there is some real leadership we have the potential to lose.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »

There are many outstanding questions on defense starting with are we able to keep our potential free agents that we want to keep.

There are 4 that seem obvious: Heath, Randle, Westerman and Leggett. At some level Westerman might be the most critical due to ratio issues in the starting 7.

Without knowing salary demands it's impossible to really predict what happens. All we know is that if we lose or choose to lose players there will be options.

An entire new team roster ( of potential free agents ) could be assembled today hypothetically. That won't be true come actual free agency day and all SMS / ratio considerations. Does make it easy to make a wish list though.

No more excuses.
Blue72

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »

Are the bombers thinking of going with a extra Nat in the DB, with the signing of Dreck Jones, Kahlen Branning and Abubakarr Conteh. This would open a Imp spot and the 2 IMP rookies we had there last year were not that impressive.

We were pretty bad on the defensive side of the ball and with deleting of Todd Howard and giving MOS friend Glen Young an extra job doesn't look good. Glenn's LBers were very weak making the DB's have to come up and help leaving opening in the back field. So if he couldn't make our LB do a good job then how could he handle 2 jobs.

Mos has said will get more involved with the defensive side but even him, he is still involved with ST's and still making mistakes as a HC and still trying to learn and get better, how could he take on another job?

Will this be the end of MOS if this team doesn't make the playoffs. This is his team now with coaches that he has kept or hired, plus by now these are the players he wants or trusts.

Other teams seam to be changing or improving on there coaching staff EG: Ottawa with 2 good DC on staff, Hammy changing there coaching staff to the better than what they started with last year, BC changing staff and Montreal well anything would be better then last year. We seem to sit on the fence until everyone is finished then we take what is left.

We have brought in a number of LBers but most of them are ST players not true LB, maybe it is time to thin this area out and start bringing in guys that a true LBers and ST players. We have a lot of 3rd and 4th string players on this team if released wouldn't go far or anywhere, time to release some of them to open spots for maybe 2nd string or better 3rd string backups.

The way we stand now I don't think we would even make the playoffs this year, people say we just need a couple guys well. EG:
Very poor LBers
poor backup QBs
Poor DB's
average to below average receiving core
ST above average but could do BETTER on the return game.
poor D play calling
Not moving the ball down field enough
great RB in Harris but a year older and don't think he could take all the hits that he took last year
guys not prepared to start a game until 2nd quarter
giving away big plays when we need a stop
opposition receivers really open down field with no one even close to them
having a problem with man coverage, and playing mostly zone

Sorry for sounding so unset and down with this team this year but so far nothing has jumped off saying that we are trying to improve yet, MOS has to become a HC and not a Buddy for his players and coaches if they are not producing. I'm in my upper 60's and time is running out, We need a Cal Murphy type great coach that wouldn't put up with any BS. People say that MOS is a players coach but so was Mike Reilly and at least Mike had production from his team.

We shouldn't have to count on FA to improve our team, I think this is year 4 for this group I guess time will tell at the end of 2018. Do we start over in 2019 or does upper management step in mid season.
kkc60

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »

Are the bombers thinking of going with a extra Nat in the DB, with the signing of Dreck Jones, Kahlen Branning and Abubakarr Conteh. This would open a Imp spot and the 2 IMP rookies we had there last year were not that impressive.

We were pretty bad on the defensive side of the ball and with deleting of Todd Howard and giving MOS friend Glen Young an extra job doesn't look good. Glenn's LBers were very weak making the DB's have to come up and help leaving opening in the back field. So if he couldn't make our LB do a good job then how could he handle 2 jobs.

Mos has said will get more involved with the defensive side but even him, he is still involved with ST's and still making mistakes as a HC and still trying to learn and get better, how could he take on another job?

Will this be the end of MOS if this team doesn't make the playoffs. This is his team now with coaches that he has kept or hired, plus by now these are the players he wants or trusts.

Other teams seam to be changing or improving on there coaching staff EG: Ottawa with 2 good DC on staff, Hammy changing there coaching staff to the better than what they started with last year, BC changing staff and Montreal well anything would be better then last year. We seem to sit on the fence until everyone is finished then we take what is left.

We have brought in a number of LBers but most of them are ST players not true LB, maybe it is time to thin this area out and start bringing in guys that a true LBers and ST players. We have a lot of 3rd and 4th string players on this team if released wouldn't go far or anywhere, time to release some of them to open spots for maybe 2nd string or better 3rd string backups.

The way we stand now I don't think we would even make the playoffs this year, people say we just need a couple guys well. EG:
Very poor LBers
poor backup QBs
Poor DB's
average to below average receiving core
ST above average but could do BETTER on the return game.
poor D play calling
Not moving the ball down field enough
great RB in Harris but a year older and don't think he could take all the hits that he took last year
guys not prepared to start a game until 2nd quarter
giving away big plays when we need a stop
opposition receivers really open down field with no one even close to them
having a problem with man coverage, and playing mostly zone

Sorry for sounding so unset and down with this team this year but so far nothing has jumped off saying that we are trying to improve yet, MOS has to become a HC and not a Buddy for his players and coaches if they are not producing. I'm in my upper 60's and time is running out, We need a Cal Murphy type great coach that wouldn't put up with any BS. People say that MOS is a players coach but so was Mike Reilly and at least Mike had production from his team.

We shouldn't have to count on FA to improve our team, I think this is year 4 for this group I guess time will tell at the end of 2018. Do we start over in 2019 or does upper management step in mid season.
I actually agree with this. We have a really weird team 
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »

Branning and Contech haven't made the roster yet. I'd be stunned if we end up with a 2nd Canadian starting in the secondary. At best we might be able to eliminate an import DB as a DI but even that is wishful thinking IMO.

No more excuses.
SSC

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 08:20:55 PM »

While I share your frustration and confusion Blue72 but it's only January. In the era of one year contracts every team can look vastly different from one year to the next.
 I agree with your assessment of  what really was one of the most awaited announcements this off season , that of R.Hall and the "defence by committee" commitment made by MOS. I can't help feeling the coaches will be spread thin and something will suffer. However, I feel ( I hope) the hiring of Younger is the beginning of change in regard to the defensive coaching staff. I think MOS and Co. are awaiting input from Younger to continue with this evolution.

Yes, this will be the litmus test for the Bombers management and coaching staff. But I believe they've earned the chance to try to take this team to the next level.
booch

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »

Branning dressed for quite a few games and saw lots of ST duties..and some defensive reps. And didn't look out of place.
Conteh dressed for 3 I believe and had same role
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 10:22:38 PM »

Branning dressed for quite a few games and saw lots of ST duties..and some defensive reps. And didn't look out of place.
Conteh dressed for 3 I believe and had same role

Games were 6 and 2 respectively. No DT's for either and 2 ST's for Contech. Games played were due to injuries requiring PR guys to be activated.

So they might be fighting for AR roles and might have some upside. All I'm saying is for the moment I wouldn't be counting on either to be starters quite yet. If they can make good contributions on ST's I'll be happy with that. Not sure who on the 44 AR they'd have to replace.

There a few Canadian DB's with more game AR experience that might reach free agency. N. King might be an upgrade for a back up behind Loffler. Gabriel probably too expensive for that role.

Gabriel, Langa ( 24 ST's ), N King ( 27 DT's ), Ackie, T. Campbell, Termansen.

Hard to tell what our back up Canadians can bring from small sample size. I have a feeling that Branning might have the best chance but it's just a feeling.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:33:03 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Horseman

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 03:03:01 PM »

Bombers have re-signed Wild, announcement will be forth coming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: