Blue Bombers Forum
January 16, 2018, 12:20:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential free agent DB's / LB's in the CFL  (Read 2261 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:55 PM »

I wonder what Randle and Heath were earning. Just for the sake of argument say Randle @ $150K and Heath at $70K. It may not be that large a gap.

You might still be able to increase Heath's salary to a significant amount less than Randle's current salary let alone any increase.

Now if Heath wants an unreasonable amount such as highest paid DB in the CFL then all bets are off.

The points made about Leggett and recovery are certainly a concern. If they are forced to make SMS decisions and are not certain about his health he could be the odd man out.

Obviously Leggett has been earning more than Heath but how that ranks up against Randle is a little less certain. I'm only assuming Randle earned the most because he's been in the CFL the longest.

A dilemma but one that could be overcome.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2018, 10:14:44 PM »

Have to disagree on that timeline. Guys have  been documented now coming back to full participation in 6 to 8 months now...your article is 8 yrs old.

Depends on if rupture or tear...Sherrit did his first game of yr I believe and was ready to return at end of season and talk was they were considering playing him.

Even with knees..my first reconstruction was 13 months...5 yrs later it was good to go in 9ish

the paw

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 10:24:18 PM »

Age isn?t really a factor, all of them will be able to play at current level for a 2 yr contract.

Randle got big money when we signed him, so he can only get a nominal raise.  He?s been great at CB, but didn?t show much at SAM, and if he tries to break the bank, we have to let him walk.

I would give Leggett  1 year deal at same money as last year, and tell him ?Let?s see how this year goes?.

If those two go for those deals, you can probably try to find a little money for Heath somewhere else in the payroll.  If you give Randle or Legget any substantial raise, you lose Heath.  If Randle or Leggett walk, you can probably sign Heath pretty easily.

And no hard feelings if any of these guys wants to test the market.  They don?t owe us anything more than what they?ve already given.

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »

Age isn?t really a factor, all of them will be able to play at current level for a 2 yr contract.

Randle got big money when we signed him, so he can only get a nominal raise.  He?s been great at CB, but didn?t show much at SAM, and if he tries to break the bank, we have to let him walk.

I would give Leggett  1 year deal at same money as last year, and tell him ?Let?s see how this year goes?.

If those two go for those deals, you can probably try to find a little money for Heath somewhere else in the payroll.  If you give Randle or Legget any substantial raise, you lose Heath.  If Randle or Leggett walk, you can probably sign Heath pretty easily.

And no hard feelings if any of these guys wants to test the market.  They don?t owe us anything more than what they?ve already given.
IIRC Randle got $120k per season on his first contract with the Bombers.
Blue In BC

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:47 PM »

Randle's been in Winnipeg for 4 years now. I think he signed 1 year extensions twice but how that relates to $$ I don't know.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 11:11:38 PM »

I would sign Randle and Heath if we can only afford 2. I love Leggett, but his injury worries me. The average time line for return from achilles injuries in pro athletes is 11 months. This would put him at mid September I believe, meaning he's probably missing at least 13 weeks of the season. One third of pro athletes are never able to return, and most of those that do cannot return to their previous level of play.

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Maurice Leggett@almighty31
27 Dec 2017

Did some short bursts today. Leaps and aggressive shuffling today for the first time since my injury. 10 weeks since my surgery and I?m explosive. Got a ways to go. Endurance is key. Keep the faith in me Winnipeg.

He will be easily ready for camp... probably not for Feb 15, unfortunately... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2018, 12:23:13 AM »

The thing about Leggett's injury and other players that have had similar injury: it's not just the physical aspect of recovery. Getting past the mental aspect to regain confidence can take longer to get back to full ability. Not always but it has been stated by other players and coaches.

We don't really know how serious his actual injury was: tear, strain etc etc. Seems to be on track and is a very positive personality. So if it's humanly possible to be ready I think he will be ready.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 12:43:59 AM »

Sounds like Mo will be back with the bombers in 2018. Big part of our D.
bunker

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 02:08:48 AM »

Have to disagree on that timeline. Guys have  been documented now coming back to full participation in 6 to 8 months now...your article is 8 yrs old.

Depends on if rupture or tear...Sherrit did his first game of yr I believe and was ready to return at end of season and talk was they were considering playing him.

Even with knees..my first reconstruction was 13 months...5 yrs later it was good to go in 9ish

Here is a more recent article. Still cites about 11 month average time to return. Over 1/4 did not return to play.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28742993

Of course every injury/athlete is unique. Nothing would make me happier than to see Leggett return in training camp, and demonstrate the same level of play he was capable of pre-injury. I just think there is a risk there in terms of a delayed return, and a lower level of performance, especially in his first year back, and this risk should probably factor into where and how they spend their SMS money, even if its just to structure the contract as performance based.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2018, 03:07:28 AM »

Where would this team have been without Randle's play last year? I think Randle was more important then Heath was. Randle is a veteran and wise one at that who seems to come up with timely plays when we needed them. In a position at linebacker where we are very thin at already, you just can't replace our best defender regardless if coming off injury. The team really can't afford to lose either Randle or Moe, but regardless if we can't afford all 3, I think we still need to sign another veteran shutdown type DB. I just can't imagine going with last years two rookies and another one added in this year. That will not be a recipe for success back there.
Blue72

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2018, 03:29:51 AM »

Why doesn't Kyle sign Leggett as an assist LB coach until he proves that he is able to play full speed, coaches don't count on the SMS and you know that he wants to be here plus he should be healthy if needed for the playoffs. He will also attend all meetings and practises and knows how a SAM has to be played in the CFL to help who ever. Hammy played this game with Fontus.

Option two is 6 game him at TC, pull a Sask as they had a lot of there guys on it most of the season. On the 6 game again his money doesn't count against the SMS and can be pulled earlier if needed.

You never know what FA brings and so far we can't count on the scouts to find good LB. Either way he says he wants to be here and so far we have not found a better replacement for his position.

If someone better shows in TC then any of the 3 can be traded or released after TC. We already have 2 weak backs now if we loose one of these guys before we know what we will get during TC it could look ugly back there very fast. If we use some of Hurls salary and replace him with a cheaper rookie and we already have a bunch of backup LB on the team already. If the backups aren't any good then show them the road.
theaardvark

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2018, 04:12:54 AM »

Why doesn't Kyle sign Leggett as an assist LB coach until he proves that he is able to play full speed, coaches don't count on the SMS and you know that he wants to be here plus he should be healthy if needed for the playoffs. He will also attend all meetings and practises and knows how a SAM has to be played in the CFL to help who ever. Hammy played this game with Fontus.

Option two is 6 game him at TC, pull a Sask as they had a lot of there guys on it most of the season. On the 6 game again his money doesn't count against the SMS and can be pulled earlier if needed.

You never know what FA brings and so far we can't count on the scouts to find good LB. Either way he says he wants to be here and so far we have not found a better replacement for his position.

If someone better shows in TC then any of the 3 can be traded or released after TC. We already have 2 weak backs now if we loose one of these guys before we know what we will get during TC it could look ugly back there very fast. If we use some of Hurls salary and replace him with a cheaper rookie and we already have a bunch of backup LB on the team already. If the backups aren't any good then show them the road.

Moe will have a CFL playing contract by or near Feb 14...  if we don't extend him first, someone will no doubt sign him. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Tiger

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2018, 06:32:59 AM »

If I had to choose 2 out of the 3, it would be Randle and Moe.

Exactly.  No brainer unless Mo is not healthy.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
gobombersgo

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »

Eskimos agree to terms of extension with DB Aaron Grymes
http://3downnation.com/2018/01/11/eskimos-agree-to-terms-of-extension-with-db-aaron-grymes/

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »

Maurice Leggett@almighty31
27 Dec 2017

Did some short bursts today. Leaps and aggressive shuffling today for the first time since my injury. 10 weeks since my surgery and I?m explosive. Got a ways to go. Endurance is key. Keep the faith in me Winnipeg.

He will be easily ready for camp... probably not for Feb 15, unfortunately... 

Hard not to love the guy and I think he'll play again but I'm still leery of committing big money to a guy coming off that injury. It would absolutely be a gamble. Good to hear he's confident in his recovery.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: