Blue Bombers Forum
February 19, 2018, 06:37:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential free agent DB's / LB's in the CFL  (Read 7735 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 12:30:21 AM »

Do you have a reading comprehension issue? We knew what Neufeld could bring as a backup even if that was a downgrade from Bond. We don't have any real idea about Couture of Spooner if they need to start.

We all remember what our OL was like BEFORE Bond. So yes the question exists about uncertainty.

Does that spell it out any more clearly?

One player in a group of 9 is not a giant question. Comprende?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
DM83

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 03:06:55 AM »

I think Bond is a huge piece of the puzzle.  When he played we had a dominant run game .  Without him, Harris totals became less. He would be one guy I would throw money at.  He makes the run game and pass game better
kkc60

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 04:21:43 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's comprend
Blue In BC

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 02:31:09 PM »

One player that played at an all star level can make a huge difference. Did losing Leggett on defense or Adams or Dressler on offense not make huge differences in our performance. Our run game suffered when Neufeld had to start. We lost 4 of the last 6 including the WSF. 3 of those in which Bond didn't play.

I don't think you understand the issue at all. Dream on and have another glass of the blue koolaid.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:36:47 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »

I think Bond is a huge piece of the puzzle.  When he played we had a dominant run game .  Without him, Harris totals became less. He would be one guy I would throw money at.  He makes the run game and pass game better

Interestingly I haven't actually heard about him looking for or getting NFL offers. Doesn't mean he isn't doing that or doesn't get one. Just means I haven't heard about that happening.

The issue over and above the SMS hit is the ratio implications. If we don't sign Westerman we're down to 6 starting Canadians while using Neufeld to start. Unfortunately I think in order to not use a Canadian at MLB we have to return to 3 Canadians on the OL.

I suppose if we could sign Bond we could push Neufeld out to RT in theory but I don't see that as practical.

No more excuses.
sweep the leg

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »

I suppose if we could sign Bond we could push Neufeld out to RT in theory but I don't see that as practical.

I think this scenario is very unlikely. With both starting tackles and their backup re-signed, I think there's very little chance Bond comes back.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »

One player that played at an all star level can make a huge difference. Did losing Leggett on defense or Adams or Dressler on offense not make huge differences in our performance. Our run game suffered when Neufeld had to start. We lost 4 of the last 6 including the WSF. 3 of those in which Bond didn't play.

I don't think you understand the issue at all. Dream on and have another glass of the blue koolaid.

Possibly, but I don't think that was the main cause of the reduced run stats. The week before Bond got hurt, so did Darvin Adams. At the same time, Flanders went down for a stretch. Those, combined with Nichols nagging injuries hampered our passing game and made our running game one dimensional. At that point, teams played us differently and found it easier to key on Harris. It was unfortunate, but it was the series of events that caused us to be less effective running the ball. Bond's injury was probably one of the least problematic of the range of issues we were facing.
booch

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »

Losing 4 of those last 6 had more to do with Nichols missing a couple games and playing at well less than 100 percent when he did resume...same with Dressler and his broken hand...no real replacement for Adams and teams keying on Harris. Neufeld wasn't reason for any of the offensive woes.

Bond is great don't get me wrong, but the drop off from him to Neufeld was minimal, and it was off-set by the way better production from the d-line. Also Harris was banged up and as much as he would had people to believe he wasn't 100 percent healthy either..The Stigma of Neufeld going to get hurt again if he starts as well is foolish...sometimes guys are just unlucky with injuries...doesn't mean they are a given to go down every year...thats just stupid

Blue In BC

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »

Losing 4 of those last 6 had more to do with Nichols missing a couple games and playing at well less than 100 percent when he did resume...same with Dressler and his broken hand...no real replacement for Adams and teams keying on Harris. Neufeld wasn't reason for any of the offensive woes.

Bond is great don't get me wrong, but the drop off from him to Neufeld was minimal, and it was off-set by the way better production from the d-line. Also Harris was banged up and as much as he would had people to believe he wasn't 100 percent healthy either..The Stigma of Neufeld going to get hurt again if he starts as well is foolish...sometimes guys are just unlucky with injuries...doesn't mean they are a given to go down every year...thats just stupid

It's the question of depth in behind Neufeld if he starts. There will be injuries on the OL. Last year we were fairly lucky. I'm not saying our OL will be bad which is why I've used the word question.

How much of a drop off is the question. Perhaps those that have watched Couture more in practice might have a better idea on what to expect.

Of course there were a multitude of issues down the stretch but it would be hard to argue that Neufeld is as good as Bond.

No more excuses.
Jesse

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »

It's the question of depth in behind Neufeld if he starts. There will be injuries on the OL. Last year we were fairly lucky. I'm not saying our OL will be bad which is why I've used the word question.

How much of a drop off is the question. Perhaps those that have watched Couture more in practice might have a better idea on what to expect.

Of course there were a multitude of issues down the stretch but it would be hard to argue that Neufeld is as good as Bond.

Certainly it is a question with the play of Neufeld, Couture, and/or Spooner. But even if Bond wanted to resign with us, I don't think we would. We've invested multiple top picks in the OL and it's time to rotate them in. Not to mention that we need to use salary cap space elsewhere.
Blue In BC

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »

Certainly it is a question with the play of Neufeld, Couture, and/or Spooner. But even if Bond wanted to resign with us, I don't think we would. We've invested multiple top picks in the OL and it's time to rotate them in. Not to mention that we need to use salary cap space elsewhere.

I'm not arguing against that logic. Couture could be the next Chungh hopefully.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »

Couture when he has had to step in and play over past 2 years never looked out of place, and gained good experience...the fact he was on active roster as well lends one to believe that if he had to play..they would be comfortable with it.

That being said a full-time starter is a different thing, he may be ready...maybe not, but if he was to back up on the o-line I don't think we are going to suffer a lot in drop off...he is  going into his 3rd year now...so isnt a fresh faced rookie
Blue In BC

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »

Couture when he has had to step in and play over past 2 years never looked out of place, and gained good experience...the fact he was on active roster as well lends one to believe that if he had to play..they would be comfortable with it.

That being said a full-time starter is a different thing, he may be ready...maybe not, but if he was to back up on the o-line I don't think we are going to suffer a lot in drop off...he is  going into his 3rd year now...so isnt a fresh faced rookie

We all understand that reasoning. I'd say we're going to find out. At some point we're going to have a short or longer term injury on the interior of the OL. Maybe we're able to convince Gray to come to the CFL in 2018 to increase the depth. Even earlier to tell about Spooner and his future than Couture who did get some game reps.

No more excuses.
GCn17

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 04:58:37 PM »

We all understand that reasoning. I'd say we're going to find out. At some point we're going to have a short or longer term injury on the interior of the OL. Maybe we're able to convince Gray to come to the CFL in 2018 to increase the depth. Even earlier to tell about Spooner and his future than Couture who did get some game reps.

To my knowledge, we have not re-signed Spooner yet.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »

I'd like to see what Chungh can do at LG.  I don't think he'll have a problem guarding Nichols blind side...  and then Couture comes in at RG.  Keep Neufeld as 6th man, his versatility is key, and keeping him healthy is important.

I think that is a very sound Oline, even without Bond.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: