Blue Bombers Forum
January 16, 2018, 11:49:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Glenn or Durant (if he gets realeased)  (Read 2534 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2018, 04:00:27 AM »

How bout dem Davis numbers? Or the numbers of this magical QB who is unknown to us who will come in and become the next great thing?

Still don't get that argument.  Lets bring in a guy that is aging, and has questionable numbers, especially in big games, and has never won the big prize despite his longevity, even as a backup.  The reason we want him?  Because he's won almost as many games as he has lost.  Because he is a "known entity", regarded as "the best insurance policy".  Dos not compute. 

Yes.  I prefer "dem Davis numbers", because tere is yet to be determined how high he can rise.  He hasn't yet had a chance to actually show what he can do.

Lets compare

Davis
YEAR   TEAM GP    COMP ATT    YDS    TD    INT    AVG
2015   WPG    1    16    25    169    0    0    6.8
2017   WPG    3    17    29    208    0    0    7.2

Glenn
2001   SSK    18    70    154    938    2    9    6.1
2002   SSK    18    60    95    777    3    3    8.2
2003   SSK    18    40    73    508    1    4    7.0

Notice the one big difference?  Glenn threw 16 picks to 6 TD in his first three years.  Davis hasn't thrown any...

But hey, lets get the turnover machine here... just in case we need someone to come in and guaranteed lose a big game.  Don't take a chance on a QB that might win it...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2018, 04:35:42 AM »

Davis 54 attempts vs Glenn 322 attempts
Davis 33 completions vs Glenn 170 completions
Davis 7 avg vs Glenn 7.1 avg

did you see those numbers ? or you just chose to ignore them ?
DM83

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2018, 04:42:19 AM »

Ards, how can you be so illogical?
theaardvark

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2018, 05:17:05 AM »

Davis 54 attempts vs Glenn 322 attempts
Davis 33 completions vs Glenn 170 completions
Davis 7 avg vs Glenn 7.1 avg

did you see those numbers ? or you just chose to ignore them ?

So, a 61% completion ratio < 53% ?

No ints < 2.66 INt/TD ratio ?

Nope... I'm seeing those numbers...

Glenn has played a few more games, but his early career is not as clean as Davis. 

So if quantity is what you are interested in, Glenn is your guy...  50k+ career passing yards is impressive.  No big wins is not.

Quality > quantity....  not saying Davis is a guarantee, but he's not a guaranteed failure.  I'm interested in possibilities.  We know what is possible with Glenn.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn17

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »

That's your problem Aards...you base things on possibilities not reality. Football isnt a game about pollyanna possibilities, its a game about reality and results.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »

Still don't get that argument.  Lets bring in a guy that is aging, and has questionable numbers, especially in big games, and has never won the big prize despite his longevity, even as a backup.  The reason we want him?  Because he's won almost as many games as he has lost.  Because he is a "known entity", regarded as "the best insurance policy".  Dos not compute. 

Yes.  I prefer "dem Davis numbers", because tere is yet to be determined how high he can rise.  He hasn't yet had a chance to actually show what he can do.

Yes!! We want him because he's a .500 QB! That's fantastic for a backup! We don't know what any prospect (e.g. Davis) is actually capable of, but guess what, statistically it's WAY less than Glenn. For every diamond in the rough out there, there's what, 50 ham n eggers who can't get it done? That means a 2% chance of them being able to get it done compared to 50%. And you want to take a risk on 2%? The idea of your backup stepping in is to give you the best possible chance. This isn't going to be a Hollywood movie- we have to manage our risks as best as possible.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
kkc60

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2018, 01:07:39 PM »

Lets compare

Davis
YEAR   TEAM GP    COMP ATT    YDS    TD    INT    AVG
2015   WPG    1    16    25    169    0    0    6.8
2017   WPG    3    17    29    208    0    0    7.2

Glenn
2001   SSK    18    70    154    938    2    9    6.1
2002   SSK    18    60    95    777    3    3    8.2
2003   SSK    18    40    73    508    1    4    7.0

Notice the one big difference?  Glenn threw 16 picks to 6 TD in his first three years.  Davis hasn't thrown any...

But hey, lets get the turnover machine here... just in case we need someone to come in and guaranteed lose a big game.  Don't take a chance on a QB that might win it...
Olay, so comparing Glenn's first 3 seasons to Davis'  first 2 shows what exactly. Glenn has also won games and played in Grey Cups. If I need someone to come in relief for Nichols, I'm going with a guy who has at least shown he can actually throw for a touchdown
theaardvark

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »

Olay, so comparing Glenn's first 3 seasons to Davis'  first 2 shows what exactly. Glenn has also won games and played in Grey Cups. If I need someone to come in relief for Nichols, I'm going with a guy who has at least shown he can actually throw for a touchdown

I've heard a lot of "Davis can't read defences".  We have a minor amount of data on Davis in live game situations, but the one glaring stat is that he hasn't thrown picks.  Sure, he hasn't thrown TD's, but he's also played clean.  Glenn tossed up picks at a 5% of attempts pace in his first three years.  Davis should have thrown 2 or 3 picks by now to be at that clip.  Whereas he'd need 1 TD to be at the same pace.

Sure, he hasn't been a shoot the lights out guy in the live snaps he's had so far.  But he has been responsible with the ball.  Will the "game slow down" for him?  Will he suddenly "get it" and start lighting things up?  Much more likely scenario than Glenn being better than 500 and not throwing up picks.  "Glenn gonna Glenn" scares the bejebers out of me.

Tehedra

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »

Aards,

Glenn puts our team in the best position to win if Nichols is injured later; does Davis have possibly more upside?  Sure.  Does he have a higher probability of success this year if an injury occurs, definitely not.  If we believe Dom is the key, he is our third stringer behind Glenn, who is behind Nichols.  That is if we sign Glenn which if I were management and I could get him on a reasonable 2nd string QB salary I would.  Why?  Because my developmental QB is just that; developmental and is not a back-up that is reliable enough to come in if my Quarterback gets injured.  That's it, no need to compare stats from when they both started, no need to figure out what the peaks of both players are, its about this year, this season, the backup needs to perform.

The third string developmental player needs to develop; that's it.  Clear,cut and dry, simple.

If you want to pull stats; pull the stats of last year for both QB's and it is obvious that Glenn is the sure winner for being the best backup today
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »

the actual reality is that you can have both of Glenn/Durant and Dom (or some other unknown prospect)...you don't have to choose - best of both worlds.  If I was Walters/MOS that is the route I would take for 2018.
theaardvark

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »

Aards,

Glenn puts our team in the best position to win if Nichols is injured later; does Davis have possibly more upside?  Sure.  Does he have a higher probability of success this year if an injury occurs, definitely not.  If we believe Dom is the key, he is our third stringer behind Glenn, who is behind Nichols.  That is if we sign Glenn which if I were management and I could get him on a reasonable 2nd string QB salary I would.  Why?  Because my developmental QB is just that; developmental and is not a back-up that is reliable enough to come in if my Quarterback gets injured.  That's it, no need to compare stats from when they both started, no need to figure out what the peaks of both players are, its about this year, this season, the backup needs to perform.

The third string developmental player needs to develop; that's it.  Clear,cut and dry, simple.

If you want to pull stats; pull the stats of last year for both QB's and it is obvious that Glenn is the sure winner for being the best backup today

Again, I disagree.  Davis has had 3 years in the system, knows the players and the scheme.  Hasn't blown the doors off a game, but he has never gone into a game and thrown 3 picks.  Which is Glenn's latest achievement.  Pull the stats for their last game...  then lets talk.

the actual reality is that you can have both of Glenn/Durant and Dom (or some other unknown prospect)...you don't have to choose - best of both worlds.  If I was Walters/MOS that is the route I would take for 2018.

We have that with LeFevour at #3...  for a lot less money...  and you have an elite short yardage guy to boot.

The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2018, 02:44:57 PM »

Again, I disagree.  Davis has had 3 years in the system, knows the players and the scheme.  Hasn't blown the doors off a game, but he has never gone into a game and thrown 3 picks.  Which is Glenn's latest achievement.  Pull the stats for their last game...  then lets talk.

We have that with LeFevour at #3...  for a lot less money...  and you have an elite short yardage guy to boot.

no - LeFevour is not the same as Glenn or Durant...
bluengold204

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »

3 years in the system, knows the players and the scheme but still **** the bed when he came in relief is not something I would be touting here
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »

I've heard a lot of "Davis can't read defences".  We have a minor amount of data on Davis in live game situations, but the one glaring stat is that he hasn't thrown picks.  Sure, he hasn't thrown TD's, but he's also played clean.  Glenn tossed up picks at a 5% of attempts pace in his first three years.  Davis should have thrown 2 or 3 picks by now to be at that clip.  Whereas he'd need 1 TD to be at the same pace.

Sure, he hasn't been a shoot the lights out guy in the live snaps he's had so far.  But he has been responsible with the ball.  Will the "game slow down" for him?  Will he suddenly "get it" and start lighting things up?  Much more likely scenario than Glenn being better than 500 and not throwing up picks.  "Glenn gonna Glenn" scares the bejebers out of me.

100% incorrect.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
theaardvark

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »

100% incorrect.

How so?  What is the chance Glenn comes in and throws up inopportune picks?  70%?  80%? 

3 years in the system, knows the players and the scheme but still **** the bed when he came in relief is not something I would be touting here

How did he **** the bed when he came in?  He didn't light the place up, but he didn't throw picks...  he far from ****'ed the bed.  Now, what Glenn did in the EF this year, that bed had to be disposed of... in an incinerator.

no - LeFevour is not the same as Glenn or Durant...

No, he is not.  He actually can run short yardage plays.  Durant seems to be past his BB date, and Glenn, well, not sure he had one Wink

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: