Blue Bombers Forum
June 18, 2018, 03:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Richie Hall Returns & other D coaching changes  (Read 9511 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »

There were also times when all of Westerman, Thomas and Hurl were on the field at the same time. I even remember seeing Corney in when the other 3 were on the field, which would give us 5 NI's on D.

I'd bet that there weren't more than a few plays in any game where we didn't have at least 8 NI's when Hurl was on the field, but lets say you're right and we weren't always starting 8 NI's. We still had enough rotation guys to allow us to start an import MLB if we wanted to. Assuming we had Hurl as a special teams/backup player, we wouldn't be in any more trouble if one of them went down than we were starting Hurl in the first place.

Assuming you're right then what does that say about O'Shea / Hall sticking with Hurl when we could have used any of our import LB's at MLB and rotated Canadian DL to make the ratio?

Hurl wasn't good enough to start but was chosen as preferable to starting Thomas or Corney full time?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:54:36 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn17

« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »

Assuming you're right then what does that say about O'Shea / Hall sticking with Hurl when we could have used any of our import LB's at MLB and rotated Canadian DL to make the ratio?

Hurl wasn't good enough to start but was chosen as preferable to starting Thomas or Corney full time?

Yes, and rightfully so. Thomas can be seen sucking an oxygen mask if he is on for more than a couple plays in a row, and Corney is awful against the run.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
theaardvark

« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »

Yes, and rightfully so. Thomas can be seen sucking an oxygen mask if he is on for more than a couple plays in a row, and Corney is awful against the run.

But Thomas against the run, and Corney on the rest of the plays is a Nat starter by committee...  which is fine for ratio management.  Take advantage of the players strengths and get a ratio spot included.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn17

« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »

But Thomas against the run, and Corney on the rest of the plays is a Nat starter by committee...  which is fine for ratio management.  Take advantage of the players strengths and get a ratio spot included.

No it's not. Corney is only effective in 1st or 2nd and longs and that is the only time he should see the field. Thomas should never see the field on run plays in comparison to Nevis or Poop if it can be avoided.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
GCn17

« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2018, 05:06:28 PM »

Each guy is only good for about a dozen plays a game. Where are your NAT starters the 2 dozen defensive plays going to come from.

Jesse

« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2018, 05:06:41 PM »

Sure, because the opposing coaches tells us which play he is going to run prior to each down, and then the refs gives us adequate time in-between each play to shift our the appropriate personnel.

First, we need players who aren't so limited. Or who are developing their skills and improving. Second, one of the things that Walters said he wanted less of, was guys switching in and out every play. We need to find our 12 and let them play. And GCn17 already pointed out that two of those 12 are Nevis and Poop.
theaardvark

« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2018, 05:08:17 PM »

Each guy is only good for about a dozen plays a game. Where are your NAT starters the 2 dozen defensive plays going to come from.

Not sure where you get a 12 play limit to their effectiveness...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »

If you believe Walters post-season press conference he wants to get away from all the rotations on defense anyway.
gbill2004

« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2018, 05:10:53 PM »

If you believe Walters post-season press conference he wants to get away from all the rotations on defense anyway.
He was specifically talking about LB's and Hurl when he said that.  It's pretty much impossible not to have a rotation on the DL. 
Jesse

« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2018, 05:12:03 PM »

Obviously, there will continue to be rotations on the DL. But that will be 1-2 guys, used to keep everyone fresh. Not the constant flipping of guys on and off the field that we've seen in recent years (hopefully).
GCn17

« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »

Not sure where you get a 12 play limit to their effectiveness...

Ask O'Shea and Hall, that's roughly the average number of plays per game they have been getting. My guess is because one (Corney) is only good on a small percentage of plays, and the other (Thomas) does not have the wind to play more. The 2nd one has been the knock on Thomas for his whole career Aards, it's not a new development and it is one that he has not shown the ability to overcome.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:17:31 PM by GCn17 » Logged

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »

I agree with you, but unfortunately, this isn't an indication that we will experience any more success in 2018, then we did in 2016/17. Right now, we simply have to hope that our recruiting brings in a serious haul across multiple positions.

Agreed. Until personnel issues are addressed, this is literally the status quo.

I had the same thought but was told that it's too early to be having this discussion. 

Sure. There's no issue with discussing Younger's potential, though.

He was specifically talking about LB's and Hurl when he said that.  It's pretty much impossible not to have a rotation on the DL. 

Yeah, his focus when he made that statement seemed to strictly indicate the LB corps.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »

Yea, you're right, but possibly less of a rotation than last year. The quote is in reference to the defense as a whole, "I'm a believer that you just find your 12 guys and you let them play." Later in his explanation, he goes on to say that Trent Corney is still going to play and because he can rush the passer and you have your nickel, but his preference is to have your core group of guys (13 or 14 was his example) and off they go. I believe he is extending this is the defense as a whole, certainly not just LB.

Relevent part is at 17:35.
https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/11/17/kyle-walters-season-ending-press-conference/
GCn17

« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2018, 05:24:29 PM »

Agreed. Until personnel issues are addressed, this is literally the status quo.

Sure. There's no issue with discussing Younger's potential, though.

Yeah, his focus when he made that statement seemed to strictly indicate the LB corps.

He did say that the 12 best guys have to be on the field primarily, so it wasn't just confined to LBer crew.

gbill2004

« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:35 PM »

Yea, you're right, but possibly less of a rotation than last year. The quote is in reference to the defense as a whole, "I'm a believer that you just find your 12 guys and you let them play." Later in his explanation, he goes on to say that Trent Corney is still going to play and because he can rush the passer and you have your nickel, but his preference is to have your core group of guys (13 or 14 was his example) and off they go. I believe he is extending this is the defense as a whole, certainly not just LB.

Relevent part is at 17:35.
https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/11/17/kyle-walters-season-ending-press-conference/
Sure, but if I recall, the question to Walters was more related to Hurl and the MLB.  It's impossible not to have a rotation at DL. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: