Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 08:20:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Richie Hall Returns & other D coaching changes  (Read 9576 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »

This is a key statement here, O'Shea saying he will take on a more active role in the defence.  

Could work out okay I guess. It could also work out if the two of them come up with a new approach. If Richie rolls out the same style defense as last year and one the before that I'm going to be really disappointed.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »

Bingo bango.  These are my initial thoughts as well.  I'm sceptical, but let's see how it all plays out. 

We're all in the same boat thought wise. Not really convinced you can teach an old dog new tricks. Not sure what to think about O'Shea's comment about a more active role.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »

Weird we let Howard go. He seemed to be the only decent defensive coach and also appeared to have built a tight knit group amongst the DL. Hopefully this Glenn Young guy isn't still around just because he is O'Sheas buddy or something, because our LBs have been piss poor since O'Shea arrived
TBURGESS

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »

I'll go on record saying I expected this move and I hate it. We've already seen what Halls defenses look like and they haven't been good enough. I doubt that we'll see anything different in 2018 than we've already seen from Hall. Hopefully the Offense stays healthy and can continue to put up 30+ points a game, cuz that's what we'll need to win.

Being right never gets old.
rubanski

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »

Rod Pedersen @rodpedersen
For anyone who disses Richie Hall's defense, he won 2 Grey Cups in SK with it.

Yes, and for one of them, Corey Chamblin was so disappointed with his DC he took over play calling near the end of the season and throughout the playoffs.
rubanski

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 02:49:25 PM »

Terrible they're keeping Hall. I'm stunned to hear several of you fellow posters say you're somewhat happy.

Wait and see until the end of 2018??? Jeesh.

That's like going out for supper at 6:00 and saying you'll just stand at the back of the restaurant and watch everyone else enjoy their meal and then decide what you'll want at midnight when the place is closing.

The ONLY silver linings to this craptastic news is that MOS is getting involved and lord knows he fixed our terrible special teams when he stepped in there a couple years ago, and also that perhaps the new blood could be candidates to replace our DC down the road.
gbill2004

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »

Terrible they're keeping Hall. I'm stunned to hear several of you fellow posters say you're somewhat happy.
I don't think anyone is "happy".  We're just taking a wait and see approach, without flying off the handle right away. 

But if the D struggles again in 2018, the Hall is definitely gone and O'Shea's job also needs to be questioned. 

Another thought: with O'Shea taking on a more active role in the D, I wonder if this makes firing Hall mid-season more doable, as O'Shea could just step right in as the DC. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:56:17 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
gbill2004

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »

O'Shea is addressing the media today at 12:30.  Should be interesting...
gbill2004

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »

From Bauming: Who is Jordan Younger? Mike O'Shea knows him well. Younger served as the #Argos DB coach in 2015 and 2016, and was in Toronto when O'Shea both coached and played there.#Bombers
TrueBlue75

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »

Although I?m not surprised at this decision based on the length of time it took to announce thie changes since the season ended, I am very disappointed. It will be interesting to see what happens nowwith our pending free agents on defense. Ugh...this actually dampened my excitement for next season.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »

(Frantically checking calendar to see if it is indeed April 1.  Nope.  Sigh)

Not a fan of this move.  More concerned that it is indicative of an overall feeling within management that the 2017 team was "almost there", and that there is more of the same to come (i.e. not bringing in guys in FA, not adding depth, not adding another credible receiving threat, not having a MLB, etc, etc, etc.).
rubanski

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »

I don't think anyone is "happy".

Good. There is no joy in this decision.

We're just taking a wait and see approach, without flying off the handle right away.  

Not me... I'm flying off the handle immediately!

Another thought: with O'Shea taking on a more active role in the D, I wonder if this makes firing Hall mid-season more doable, as O'Shea could just step right in as the DC.  

Good thought. Also interesting, are we down 1 defensive coach right now? I don't think the team's pinching pennies in the front office, so I wonder where that's being spent?   I also imagine we wouldn't run a lean D staff if we were of the mindset we may be firing Hall if he doesn't shape up here.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:06:22 PM by rubanski » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »

Weird we let Howard go. He seemed to be the only decent defensive coach and also appeared to have built a tight knit group amongst the DL. Hopefully this Glenn Young guy isn't still around just because he is O'Sheas buddy or something, because our LBs have been piss poor since O'Shea arrived

I think many of us put way to much credit to positional coaches. They do little more than run drills. I don?t credit our DLs success to the DL coach.

I feel like MOS is now going to work closer with our LBs and Glenn Young is simple being transitioned to the DL.
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »

I think many of us put way to much credit to positional coaches. They do little more than run drills. I don?t credit our DLs success to the DL coach.

I feel like MOS is now going to work closer with our LBs and Glenn Young is simple being transitioned to the DL.

I fear that O'Shea is already out reaching his skill set. He's taken on a more active role on ST's last year and now a more active role on defense?

We have no choice but to see how this works out.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »

I fear that O'Shea is already out reaching his skill set. He's taken on a more active role on ST's last year and now a more active role on defense?

We have no choice but to see how this works out.

Well, maybe his work on ST is done, and he can move his focus...  have to say ST last year were a treat. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: