Blue Bombers Forum
January 17, 2018, 06:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Richie Hall Returns & other D coaching changes  (Read 3934 times)
gbill2004

« on: January 05, 2018, 02:02:02 PM »

From Jeff Hamilton:

#Bombers make changes to their defensive staff, letting go defensive backs coach Tony Missick after two years and D-Line coach Todd Howard, who joined the club in 2015. Jordan Younger will take over DBs.

Most notably, DC Richie Hall will remain on staff another year. #wfpthe
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 02:03:29 PM »

Well more of the same then.
gbill2004

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »

From the Bombers: https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/01/05/bombers-announce-coaching-staff-changes/
fansince79

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »

Wth???  This is literally going to cost the team season tickets. OShea?s blind loyalty strikes again!!! 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:22:56 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »

Oh great, another helping of Richie's soft zone and bend and don't break philosophy that gives up way too many yards. A rare misstep for the Bombers under Walters, O'Shea and Miller.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 02:13:35 PM »

On the positive side - Younger should be a good add...
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »

Pretty much expected Hall to be back even though I would have preferred him to be gone.

As always the proof will be in the final result for 2018. Considering the key players still potential free agents on defense and the non change at DC it's hard to not be concerned.

We'll all be holding our breath to see how the roster develops before and during TC. After that we'll watch to see if things are looking up or not. Fingers crossed that possible improvement in talent and schemes show positive signs.

No more excuses.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »

Apart from the time with the Stamps - Missick hasn't had great success in keeping a job...

From his hiring notice two years ago in June:

WINNIPEG, MB., June 29, 2016 ?   Head Coach Mike O?Shea today announces the club has named Tony Missick Defensive Backs Coach. Missick was a guest coach with the team during training camp, and has remained with the team since, agreeing to a contract today.

Missick most recently was with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2015 as their defensive backs coach.

Prior to joining the Riders, Missick spent four seasons in the same capacity with the Calgary Stampeders. In 2014, defensive backs Brandon Smith and Jamar Wall were named CFL All-Stars as the Stamps racked up 18 interceptions. Missick won his first Grey Cup with the Stamps that season.

Prior to joining the Stampeders, Missick spent nine seasons coaching in the Arena Football League. He began his coaching career in 2000 as defensive coordinator of the Richmond Speed. He was named head coach of the Cincinnati Jungle Kats in 2007.

In 2008, Missick joined Saint Paul?s Collegiate where he served as linebackers coach and assistant head coach.

As a player, he attended the University of Kentucky before turning pro with the NFL?s Philadelphia Eagles. He went on to play five seasons in the AFL where he collected 197 tackles and 12 interceptions.
gbill2004

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 02:18:46 PM »

So looks like Missick is the fall guy for the DBs struggling and all the blown coverages.  Not sure why Howard is being replaced though...the DL seemed to play well.  
Tehedra

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »

I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, when they let go of Gary it was because he was unable to change his philosophy and couldn't get on board with some defensive changes that O'Shea and company wished to make.  Perhaps after some longer deliberations and many conversations Ritchie is more open to making some soft changes to his scheme that will put our men in better positions.  As well, our DB group was performing the worst of the bunch and they have replaced the DB coach so perhaps we will see some improvement in the play.  

Of course, I'm trying to be more optimistic and it could be all for naught.  But I would much rather have a positive outlook on the next season than a negative outlook and want to trust that the team is going to make the right decision to give them the best chance of success.
gbill2004

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:20:43 PM »

I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, when they let go of Gary it was because he was unable to change his philosophy and couldn't get on board with some defensive changes that O'Shea and company wished to make.  Perhaps after some longer deliberations and many conversations Ritchie is more open to making some soft changes to his scheme that will put our men in better positions.  As well, our DB group was performing the worst of the bunch and they have replaced the DB coach so perhaps we will see some improvement in the play.  

Of course, I'm trying to be more optimistic and it could be all for naught.  But I would much rather have a positive outlook on the next season than a negative outlook and want to trust that the team is going to make the right decision to give them the best chance of success.
Bingo bango.  These are my initial thoughts as well.  I'm sceptical, but let's see how it all plays out. 
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:20 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Coaching Staff Changes

WINNIPEG, MB., January 5, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce club has named former CFL All-Star and two-time Grey Cup Champion Jordan Younger the team's defensive backs coach. Younger most recently spent two seasons (2015-2016) in the same role with the Toronto Argonauts. Younger played 12 seasons in professional football including nine with the Toronto Argonauts (2004-07, 09-12) and Edmonton Eskimos (2008) in the Canadian Football League. He won two Grey Cup championships in Toronto in 2004 and 2012, and was a defensive captain in his final season.

"Jordan is a bright young football coach whom I know personally and have confidence in his abilities to teach, relate well to players, get his message and coaching points across," said Head Coach Mike O'Shea. "He has a wealth of CFL experience as a player, playing at a high level and winning championships, and I'm excited to bring him into the fold on our staff."

Glen Young
will now coach the front seven - linebackers and defensive line. Young has spent the past two seasons as the club's linebackers coach.

The club will not renew the contracts of defensive line coach Todd Howard, and defensive backs coach Tony Missick. The remaining coaching will return in their respective roles for the 2018 season.

"I wish to thank Tony and Todd for their dedication and work with our organization," said Head Coach Mike O'Shea. "I'm excited to take a more active role with our defence and welcoming coach Younger to the organization."

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
theaardvark

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »

So, we're getting Young and Younger on the D...  (someone had to say it)

Interesting that while we got rid of a guy that was clearly not cutting it with our DB's, we also let go of someone who coached our strongest unit.  

Younger coached TJ Heath when he came into the league in Toronto...

Odd endorsement...

Rod Pedersen @rodpedersen
For anyone who disses Richie Hall's defense, he won 2 Grey Cups in SK with it.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Coaching Staff Changes

WINNIPEG, MB., January 5, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce club has named former CFL All-Star and two-time Grey Cup Champion Jordan Younger the team's defensive backs coach. Younger most recently spent two seasons (2015-2016) in the same role with the Toronto Argonauts. Younger played 12 seasons in professional football including nine with the Toronto Argonauts (2004-07, 09-12) and Edmonton Eskimos (2008) in the Canadian Football League. He won two Grey Cup championships in Toronto in 2004 and 2012, and was a defensive captain in his final season.

"Jordan is a bright young football coach whom I know personally and have confidence in his abilities to teach, relate well to players, get his message and coaching points across," said Head Coach Mike O'Shea. "He has a wealth of CFL experience as a player, playing at a high level and winning championships, and I'm excited to bring him into the fold on our staff."

Glen Young
will now coach the front seven - linebackers and defensive line. Young has spent the past two seasons as the club's linebackers coach.

The club will not renew the contracts of defensive line coach Todd Howard, and defensive backs coach Tony Missick. The remaining coaching will return in their respective roles for the 2018 season.

"I wish to thank Tony and Todd for their dedication and work with our organization," said Head Coach Mike O'Shea. "I'm excited to take a more active role with our defence and welcoming coach Younger to the organization."
This is a key statement here, O'Shea saying he will take on a more active role in the defence.  
fansince79

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »

This is a key statement here, O'Shea saying he will take on a more active role in the defence.  

If ?active? means O?Shea controls everything to do with the D and Ritchie Hall becomes a figure head then I?m on board.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:30:27 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: