Blue Bombers Forum
January 16, 2018, 11:50:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Riders release Kevin Glenn  (Read 3479 times)
GCn17

« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2018, 03:45:15 PM »

You seriously think that it is the same thing to compare a kicker coming in to kick a FG (which is the STANDARD way they do their job, the exact way they train for it always) to a backup QB coming in cold off the bench for an injured QB?  When he hasn't had first team reps all week.

Sure, a backup QB needs to be ready to step in at any time, and should be fully prepared to at any moment.  But no amount of prep will ready him for that "next man up" call.  Its not at all the same as a FG kicker "coming in cold".

Davis came in, moved the ball somewhat (not as much as we would have preferred), they scored some points, and then he faltered and got sacked a few times.  Then Lefevour came in, got picked twice, move the ball half as much, and was rewarded with the next start.

I don't think the book is closed yet on Davis.  He should be in camp to start the year, we need some consistency there.  If he gets beat out by new guys, awesome.  If not, if he's upped his game a notch, even better.  But moving on from him today is kinda shortsighted, and could be disastrous.

A FG from a turnover. LOL

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2018, 03:48:02 PM »

What does Nichols have to do with....nvm

Right....Nichols is playing with the same players as Dom does.....Dom gets sacked it's his fault....Nichols gets sacked it's somebody else's fault. It's kinda funny actually to read.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »

While I never support Aardvark's revisionist history and time warps, I do agree with him here in the sense that I think Davis still has a chance to stick around and could potentially win the backup job this year. Obviously, if we go with a vet backup it makes him possibly the number 3 guy at best, but there's no guarantee that we go that route and if we don't, he's probably got the inside track on the job. He's under contract, been in the system and could easily take the next step this year. It takes time to develop a quarterback. It's often and slow, ugly process.

Who's going to beat Davis out as backup if we don't sign a vet QB? Lefeavour isn't under contract and wasn't very good as a real quarterback either. Any new fresh-faced QB in camp faces long odds to win the backup spot straight away, and so depending on the moves Walters makes, it could wind up very likely that Davis is the number 2 this year. It's very much an open question, I say.
gbill2004

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2018, 03:58:53 PM »

While I never support Aardvark's revisionist history and time warps, I do agree with him here in the sense that I think Davis still has a chance to stick around and could potentially win the backup job this year. Obviously, if we go with a vet backup it makes him possibly the number 3 guy at best, but there's no guarantee that we go that route and if we don't, he's probably got the inside track on the job. He's under contract, been in the system and could easily take the next step this year. It takes time to develop a quarterback. It's often and slow, ugly process.

Who's going to beat Davis out as backup if we don't sign a vet QB? Lefeavour isn't under contract and wasn't very good as a real quarterback either. Any new fresh-faced QB in camp faces long odds to win the backup spot straight away, and so depending on the moves Walters makes, it could wind up very likely that Davis is the number 2 this year. It's very much an open question, I say.
If we don't sign Glenn or Durant, I'd say you may be right.  But I think there's a very good chance that Durant is released by Monday, when his $150k bonus is due.  Sounds like there's a good chance that Glenn signs in Edmonton. 
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »

And the same was said last off-season regarding Davis. Outside of essentially meaningless pre-season play, he demonstrated next to nothing in terms of progression. I don't think it's prudent to gamble on that again this season, especially when you consider the importance of having a competent backup QB later in the season.

I'm all for keeping Davis around in a development/3QB position. Like you said, it can be a slow and ugly process, so let him continue that without hindering the team. I think it's imperative the team addresses the backup QB position with a more reliable and proven option, though.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
dd

« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »

I too am all for keeping Davis around....at #3, but our #2 has got to give us a reasonable chance of winning. We need to decide on whether we want to keep 2 - #3 Qb's in DD and DL, or do we let one of them go, and bring in a solid #2...I m for brining in a solid #2, and couldn't care who that guy is, whether he's an old veteran guy on his way out in his career, or an unknown that our new Scout has uncovered, but either way, #2 has got to be able to effectively move the ball and give us a chance to win.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2018, 04:45:40 PM »

Taking a look at cfl.ca writeup on the QB situation, the following QBs are or will likely be available next month (ignoring Dan LeFevour for the sake of this conversation)

Kevin Glenn
Drew Willy
Cody Fajardo
Jacory Harris

Honestly, I'd put any one of those guys (okay, maybe not Harris) at #2 ahead of Dom Davis.
gbill2004

« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »

Taking a look at cfl.ca writeup on the QB situation, the following QBs are or will likely be available next month (ignoring Dan LeFevour for the sake of this conversation)

Kevin Glenn
Drew Willy
Cody Fajardo
Jacory Harris

Honestly, I'd put any one of those guys (okay, maybe not Harris) at #2 ahead of Dom Davis.
Glenn will likely be signed before free agency hits.  Willy is interesting, but he just looked like a terrible fit in Lapo's offense.  Fajardo has never impressed me.  As of Monday, you can likely add Durant to that list as well. 
the paw

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »

Kevin Glenn
Drew Willy
Cody Fajardo
Jacory Harris

Why has Rakeem Cato completely fallen off the radar?  I would see him as a viable #2 guy, particularly when I look at that list.

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »

Why has Rakeem Cato completely fallen off the radar?  I would see him as a viable #2 guy, particularly when I look at that list.
Is he still in the league?  I thought he was busy hanging out on the couch eating Doritos.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »

I suspect that whatever happened between him and Carter in Montreal wasn't all Carter's fault, and that reputation now precedes him.
gbill2004

« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »

I suspect that whatever happened between him and Carter in Montreal wasn't all Carter's fault, and that reputation now precedes him.
Plus Cato just isn't very good. 
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:47 PM »

Plus Cato just isn't very good. 
nice arm though

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »

Probably because he's not a very smart QB, hasn't played in over a year, and has a ton of personal baggage.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
the paw

« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »

Is he still in the league?  I thought he was busy hanging out on the couch eating Doritos.

Apparently he has signed in the American Arena League:

http://richmondroughriders.com/news-h/269-roughriders-announce-the-signing-of-marshall-university-s-own-and-former-cfl-alouettes-de-montreal-quarterback-rakeem-cato.html

His numbers for 2016 weren't terrible.  He had good completion %, good TD-INT ratio.  I thought he had some upside still. Certainly enough for a #2. 

grab grass 'n growl
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: