Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2018, 07:39:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Riders trade for Collaros  (Read 16737 times)
TBURGESS

« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2018, 10:04:45 PM »

@TSN_Sports
Tiger-Cats confirm offer to Manziel. MORE: https://www.tsn.ca/tiger-cats-confirm-offer-to-manziel-1.961287 ?
David William Naylor

@TSNDaveNaylor
The @Ticats have made an offer of a 2-year contract to @JManziel2. Offer made on Saturday. Believed to be a competitive offer, not just the minimum to extend their rights beyond 10-day window that closes today. #CFL #Ticats

By making an offer to @JManziel2, the @Ticats extend their rights to him for one year. Sides can continue to negotiate, no real urgency for either side to get a deal done right away. #CFL #Ticats

Matthew Scianitti @TSNScianitti
Never a feeling in Hamilton that #Ticats would rush to sign Manziel. This is a long process, carefully discussed by Caretaker Bob Young, President Scott Mitchell, VP of personnel Kent Austin, GM Eric Tillman, director of football ops Shawn Burke and head coach June Jones #CFL

Being right never gets old.
trapper

« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »

Collaros is in town today so I'm guessing the new contract is signed.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he'll be able to bounce back.  Hamilton was a mess across the board early last year.  Collaros didn't get to play for June.  He'll have some good receivers helping him put here.

If they can get stronger on the o-line and defense...I think the team will be more competitive than last year.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »

Hamilton was a mess across the board early last year.  Collaros didn't get to play for June.  He'll have some good receivers helping him put here.

And yet, they got it together when Collaros was benched for Masoli and Jones became head coach. And he had good receivers helping him in Hamilton, too: Banks, Tasker, and Saunders. It isn't like their roster was devoid of talent last season, on either side of the ball.

If anything, the Ti-Cats were a mess with Austin and Collaros in important positions.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
sweep the leg

« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »

I really don't see Collaros as being a big upgrade for the Riders, or at the very least carrying less risk than Kevin Glenn. Glenn played well for the Riders last year. Offence was not their problem.

Glenn & Bridge combined for 67.7% comp %, 5,274 yards, and a 35-18 td to int ratio. That's not bad. The offense went in the toilet at the end of the season though.

trapper

« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »

And yet, they got it together when Collaros was benched for Masoli and Jones became head coach. And he had good receivers helping him in Hamilton, too: Banks, Tasker, and Saunders. It isn't like their roster was devoid of talent last season, on either side of the ball.

If anything, the Ti-Cats were a mess with Austin and Collaros in important positions.

Austin was the head mess.  He wasn't using Banks like Jones did.  Collaros didn't play well...granted.

Put the memory aside and look at the game logs here.  You'll see Zach's stats were not all bad, his play was not what was losing games, and when Masoli came in...his stats were generally worse than Zach's.  Austin had that team very messed up.  Just need to look at the other players before and after the coaching change.  Pretty much everyone improved bigtime....except Zach who didn't get a chance.

https://www.cfl.ca/schedule/?season=2017

Again...I'm not thinking or saying he is the saviour.  But I do think he got a bit of a bad rap last year...and I do think he will provide better numbers then Glen for the Riders next year.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »

Austin was the head mess.  He wasn't using Banks like Jones did.  Collaros didn't play well...granted.

Put the memory aside and look at the game logs here.  You'll see Zach's stats were not all bad, his play was not what was losing games, and when Masoli came in...his stats were generally worse than Zach's.  Austin had that team very messed up.  Just need to look at the other players before and after the coaching change.  Pretty much everyone improved bigtime....except Zach who didn't get a chance.

Again...I'm not thinking or saying he is the saviour.  But I do think he got a bit of a bad rap last year...and I do think he will provide better numbers then Glen for the Riders next year.

you are correct...Austin was a major contributor to the mess.  I would more concerned with Collaros' durability than his talent.  If he can stay healthy and get his confidence and head cleared up he will make Sask better in 2018 than 2017.
trapper

« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »

you are correct...Austin was a major contributor to the mess.  I would more concerned with Collaros' durability than his talent.  If he can stay healthy and get his confidence and head cleared up he will make Sask better in 2018 than 2017.

He had a lot of time to heal the 2nd half of last season Smiley
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

I don't disagree at all regarding Austin, who shoulders most of the blame for the Ti-Cats' horrid start last season. He completely lost the team from top to bottom.

As for Collaros, his stats were not bad through 9 games; they weren't great, either: 167 completions on 266 attempts (62.8%), 1767 passing yard, 8 TDs, and INTs. He also rushed 8 times for 52 yards. That's still only good for a pace of just over 3500 yards, 16 TDs, and 14 INTs over a full season.
I'm also not sure how you conclude Masoli's numbers were generally worse than Collaros', either. In 12 GP, Masoli made 249 completions on 391 attempts (63.7%), 3177 passing yards, 15 TDs, and 5 INTs. That puts him on full season pace of over 4700 yards, 22 TDs, and 7 INTs.

Collaros became a scapegoat in Hamilton, which is usually what happens when a QB struggles. That was only magnified when Masoli stepped and played with more success. I don't necessarily agree with it because there was much more going on, but Collaros' production and inability to stay healthy recently are concerning. That contrasts significantly to what many had his potential pegged at only a few years ago.

This will be a storyline worth watching now that he's been given a change of scenery and a fresh start. As The Zipp pointed out, durability remains the question mark. The talent is certainly there.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »

He better have. Over the last 5 seasons, he's only played an average of 11.6 games per year. More worryingly, this isn't a single injury (or two) that caused him to miss significant time. He's missed games each of the last five seasons, and the most he's played in is 14 games back in 2013.
GCn18

« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »

It's his brain that needs the healing. He looked a lot like a guy who has lost his mojo.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »

It's his brain that needs the healing. He looked a lot like a guy who has lost his mojo.

Has he been concussed?

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
GCn18

« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2018, 05:25:34 PM »

Has he been concussed?

Yes, twice. I was more talking about his extreme case of happy feet and discomfort in the pocket since his injury in 2015.

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »

Yes, twice. I was more talking about his extreme case of happy feet and discomfort in the pocket since his injury in 2015.

I gathered as much based on the mojo comment. Wink

I wasn't sure if he had a concussion history, though. And it makes me wonder if there's connection between that and the missing mojo.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »

I gathered as much based on the mojo comment. Wink

I wasn't sure if he had a concussion history, though. And it makes me wonder if there's connection between that and the missing mojo.

Maybe this will help...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn18

« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »

Maybe this will help...

LOL...his mojo is the pink one I think.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: