Blue Bombers Forum
January 16, 2018, 12:14:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Riders trade for Collaros  (Read 3905 times)
gbill2004

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 02:47:19 PM »

Well this is the first domino at QB to move to a new team. This eliminates Regina as a destination for Franklin or Masoli as a starter.

If Manziel does sign in Hamilton in a few days things are going to change as well across the CFL.

Who ends up where and when? I wouldn't mind Masoli or Bridges as our # 2 QB for the right price.

Bridge will stay in Sask.  Masoli I'm not sure on...maybe he goes to free agency and signs with Montreal.  I could see the Bombers ending up with either Glenn or Durant as backup.  The unknown is still Franklin who has not yet signed with the Argos and his agent recently suggested he was going to free agency, but that may change now with most teams close to set at starting QB. 
gbill2004

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »

From a Rash:  Per #CFL sources: Expect the Riders and Zach Collaros to work on negotiating an extension and a re-worked contract in the aftermath of the trade to Saskatchewan. Unlikely that Collaros will play 2018 under the terms of his present deal (over $500,000).
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »

Bridge will stay in Sask.  Masoli I'm not sure on...maybe he goes to free agency and signs with Montreal.  I could see the Bombers ending up with either Glenn or Durant as backup.  The unknown is still Franklin who has not yet signed with the Argos and his agent recently suggested he was going to free agency, but that may change now with most teams close to set at starting QB. 

It depends on how much Bridge got for his new contract and whether Collaros took a reduction.

Collaros was reportedly even due for an increase in 2018. It may be that Glenn is actually a lower cost option. Not sure how this will work out.

Franklin will probably reach free agency to see what the Als have to offer. It appears that might be his only option to start immediately. Not convinced R. Ray is retiring yet.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »

Kevin Glenn would be an excellent insurance policy to have back. If he is released I would love to have him as a Bomber.

I assume this is because you watched the ESF and he had a good game.  But did you watch the EF?  6 of 13 for 87 yards with 3 int / 0 TD.  With Carter, Roosevelt, Owens, Thigpen, Bagg and Grant to throw at.  Bridge came off the bench and went 11/21 for 141, with 1 TD and no Int against the exact same team.

LeFevour went 5/12 for 43 yards and 2 int against BC, in arguably the worst showing by a WBB QB this year.  Not in an elimination game.  

I guess you could bring him in because "he's due".  Surely he has to win a cup sooner or later...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »

Good trade for both sides.

Collaros wasn't going to stay in Hamilton. Gotta assume that there's a new contract, cuz paying Collaros huge money doesn't make any sense to anyone anymore.

Jones is a big risk, big reward kind of guy.

Glenn or Bridge or both are on their way out?

Guess this means the Riders are no longer in on the Franklin sweepstakes.

I'm glad we didn't trade for Collaros. I think that guy's done.

Being right never gets old.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »

A move that had to be made once Franklin landed in TO.  Whether or not it's a good move is yet to be seen.  He has, at times, been a great QB when he is healthy.  He's also had some horrific injuries.

Glenn will be the first casualty, whether he ends up here or not, I'm fine either way.  He'd win more games than LeFevour.  Kinda hope he (Glenn) ends up in Edmonton.

Reactions in Riderland seemed to be pretty mixed.
theaardvark

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »

Because he is a great backup.

How is that?  He has a less than .500 win%, he's never won the big game, and he has his own meme... "Glenn gonna Glenn".  There are SO many better options, one that are not proven to break your heart.  Ask SSK fans if they think their team would have made it to the GC last year had they had a different QB in the EF...  they lost by 4 to Tor after KG served up 3 Ints...  had Bridge come in after the second one, they may have been GC Champs...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »

How is that?  He has a less than .500 win%, he's never won the big game, and he has his own meme... "Glenn gonna Glenn".  There are SO many better options, one that are not proven to break your heart.  Ask SSK fans if they think their team would have made it to the GC last year had they had a different QB in the EF...  they lost by 4 to Tor after KG served up 3 Ints...  had Bridge come in after the second one, they may have been GC Champs...
lol..here we go  Roll Eyes  What's Dom Davis's win percentage?  Who are these "SO many better options"? 
Blue In BC

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »

A move that had to be made once Franklin landed in TO.  Whether or not it's a good move is yet to be seen.  He has, at times, been a great QB when he is healthy.  He's also had some horrific injuries.

Glenn will be the first casualty, whether he ends up here or not, I'm fine either way.  He'd win more games than LeFevour.  Kinda hope he (Glenn) ends up in Edmonton.

Reactions in Riderland seemed to be pretty mixed.

Not really. Collaros wasn't a potential free agent. The Riders could have waited to see about Franklin and made a trade later if they couldn't sign him. Perhaps they didn't want Franklin as much as some thought?

No more excuses.
Jesse

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 03:01:54 PM »

1. Who is a better option? Certainly no one we've had.
2. Why are you referencing Glenn as starting in "big games" as a reason he's not a good back-up? If you are starting your back-up in a divisional final or Grey Cup, you're gonna lose. That simple. All you can hope is that, during the regular season, in-game, or for a couple of games, they give you a shot to win, so you don't mess up your play-off positioning. Glenn does that.
theaardvark

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 03:07:42 PM »

Here's a concept.  What if:

Riders extend Collaros with an incentive laden contract that he knows he will hit the starts bonuses with in Riderland.

The Riders then flip Collaros to Toronto for the rights to Franklin. 

Collaros and Franklin would both not have been traded within the division by their original teams.

Riders end up with Franklin, Argos get a solid backup for Ray and maybe a future starter for them under Trestman's tutelage.

BlueInCgy

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »

Not really. Collaros wasn't a potential free agent. The Riders could have waited to see about Franklin and made a trade later if they couldn't sign him. Perhaps they didn't want Franklin as much as some thought?

Should have clarified.  Riders (or more specifically Jones) needed to make an effort to show they are moving forward on the QB position, since the moving on from Durant plan (with an exceptionally talented receiving group) did not really yield the desired results (not saying they didn't perform, but they were still 4th in the West at the end of the season), and Bridge might be the answer, but he also (more likely) isn't the answer "right now", and Jones has two years (he signed a one year extension) to prove that his initial blowing up of the team had merit.  Signing Collaros does that.  Whether or not it's the right move is yet to be seen.
GCn17

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »

I assume this is because you watched the ESF and he had a good game.  But did you watch the EF?  6 of 13 for 87 yards with 3 int / 0 TD.  With Carter, Roosevelt, Owens, Thigpen, Bagg and Grant to throw at.  Bridge came off the bench and went 11/21 for 141, with 1 TD and no Int against the exact same team.

LeFevour went 5/12 for 43 yards and 2 int against BC, in arguably the worst showing by a WBB QB this year.  Not in an elimination game.  

I guess you could bring him in because "he's due".  Surely he has to win a cup sooner or later...

Bring him in because he's the best backup in the league. You keep making the argument that we shouldn't bring him in as a backup because he wasn't a good starter last year and it makes zero sense. The fact he lost the EF is proof he's not a bonafide starter on a contender, the fact he won the ESF is proof that he would make a great backup for a contender. That is something that Dominique Davis or Lefevour would have had almost zero chance of doing last year.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:11:45 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
gbill2004

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »

I have a feeling that the combo of Collaros and Bridge is going to blow up in the Riders face and they will regret getting rid of Glenn.  At least you know Glenn will get you 9ish wins.  
GCn17

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »

Brandon Bridge will be figured out by every defensive coordinator in the league this year. He is Casey Printers 2.0. His unorthodox style confused teams last year. He won't get that luxury anymore. Zach Collaros and Drew Willy look almost identical since injuries rattled them in 2015. Both looked like they were rising to the elite before they were traumatized and concussed. Now they both have happy feet in the pocket.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: