Blue Bombers Forum
August 15, 2018, 04:32:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agent Recievers  (Read 29563 times)
the paw

« Reply #435 on: February 12, 2018, 03:26:59 AM »

Almost. A DB could come in as a DI for a receiver ( Duron Carter although he's not a DI ). Or a DL than can also play on the OL.

He'd still have to be capable of that skill set.

Well, most cases I've seen of a DL switching over to OL have been Canadian, (Quinn in Calgary and Jake Thomas here) so that isn't a great example/

I am trying to remember how Duron Carter did it.  I believe he took some reps at CB in one game, (before he started that one game as DB), but in that situation he was subbing in for another import, an injured CB.  Which is allowed.  If he had tried to sub in at safety, where they play a Canadian, that would not have been kosher.  So is a starter switching from D to O (or vice versa) treated as a DI? I'll have to see if I can find the rule...

grab grass 'n growl
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #436 on: February 12, 2018, 02:02:39 PM »

Luke Tasker has re-signed with the Ti-Cats...

I am not surprised by this.
Blue In BC

« Reply #437 on: February 12, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »

Well, most cases I've seen of a DL switching over to OL have been Canadian, (Quinn in Calgary and Jake Thomas here) so that isn't a great example/

I am trying to remember how Duron Carter did it.  I believe he took some reps at CB in one game, (before he started that one game as DB), but in that situation he was subbing in for another import, an injured CB.  Which is allowed.  If he had tried to sub in at safety, where they play a Canadian, that would not have been kosher.  So is a starter switching from D to O (or vice versa) treated as a DI? I'll have to see if I can find the rule...

IIRC Dyson played on both the OL and DL during his career. Mike Sellers while in Edmonton played multiple positions but don't believe he was ever a DI.

It's not common but there have been some linemen that saw reps on both sides of the ball. Again probably not as DI's necessarily.

Bombers have had several DB's that saw duty as receivers: John Jefferson was one that comes to mind.

No. A starter is not a DI. DI's are identified at the beginning of the game. If Lankford was a DI at at the beginning of a game he could have replaced an injured receiver. OTOH if we had two injuries in the secondary, in theory he could have come in as a DB.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:08:07 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #438 on: February 12, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »

Eric Wilson went both ways...Markus Howell..
Blue In BC

« Reply #439 on: February 12, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »

Eric Wilson went both ways...Markus Howell..

Except Marcus Howell was a Canadian so not specifically relevant to the ratio. Forgot about Wilson but he did see action on both sides of the ball. Liked his play.

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #440 on: February 12, 2018, 03:24:02 PM »

IIRC Dyson played on both the OL and DL during his career. Mike Sellers while in Edmonton played multiple positions but don't believe he was ever a DI.

It's not common but there have been some linemen that saw reps on both sides of the ball. Again probably not as DI's necessarily.

Bombers have had several DB's that saw duty as receivers: John Jefferson was one that comes to mind.

No. A starter is not a DI. DI's are identified at the beginning of the game. If Lankford was a DI at at the beginning of a game he could have replaced an injured receiver. OTOH if we had two injuries in the secondary, in theory he could have come in as a DB.

I found the rule, Article 5 Section 5:

Article 5 ? Designated International
If a team is using its full complement of international players, it shall, prior to the
game, designate four international players as special teams players, who shall be
permitted to enter the game at another position, only on the understanding that
another international player on that side of the ball is required to leave the game
for that play. Such player may enter the game on an unrestricted basis, only if
another international player is removed for the balance of the game.

The way I read that, is that you can insert DIs on either side of the ball, as long as an Int comes out.  So, that's consistent with what I said.  As far as two way players, I don't see anything in this rule that prevents a guy from playing two ways. So if the Riders want to play Duron Carter as receiver and DB for a whole game, I guess they could get away with starting only 6 Canadians.  I don't see that as a likely option, but I guess they figured common sense would prevent the need for a more comprehensive rule. 

Now that you and Booch mention it, I remember Eric Wilson and Dyson playing on both sides.  But I don't think they played it for whole games, did they?  I mean, was it just situational?    As for Sellers, I know he started with Edmonton as a DE, and then got converted to FB, but I don't think he ever played both positions in the same game. 

grab grass 'n growl
BlueInCgy

« Reply #441 on: February 12, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »

Calgary re-signs Daniels and Parker, so the only FA receiver left of significance is Demski.

gbill2004

« Reply #442 on: February 12, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »

Calgary re-signs Daniels and Parker, so the only FA receiver left of significance is Demski.

Thank God we got Bowman or we'd be hooped! 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #443 on: February 12, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »

Thank God we got Bowman or we'd be hooped! 

Yeah, getting Bowman prior to free agency is a massive win for the Bombers.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
kkc60

« Reply #444 on: February 13, 2018, 12:51:31 AM »

That explains why they cut McDaniel, traded Hughes and are letting Messam walk. They might actually also start 2 canadian receivers this year
thunderNlightning

« Reply #445 on: February 13, 2018, 01:03:47 AM »

If he?s in demand then the price may go up and that may leave the bombers on the outside looking in?
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #446 on: February 13, 2018, 01:14:23 AM »

well JFG is still an okay option if Demski doesn't come home, providing JFG would still be available.....Crazy to think our only WR's to play 17 games or more last year may not be Bombers this year. As much as people hate Denmark you can't knock the consistency of having a player that will suit up for all 18 games.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
gbill2004

« Reply #447 on: February 13, 2018, 01:15:02 AM »

That explains why they cut McDaniel, traded Hughes and are letting Messam walk. They might actually also start 2 canadian receivers this year
Parker and Durant with Kohlert as backup. Not bad.
Jesse

« Reply #448 on: February 13, 2018, 02:08:41 AM »

If he?s in demand then the price may go up and that may leave the bombers on the outside looking in?

If money is close, he?s coming here. Living in a new city is going to cost you way more than any team will add onto whatever offer we make.
DM83

« Reply #449 on: February 13, 2018, 03:16:09 AM »

Demski is a done deal.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]
  Print  

Jump to: