Blue Bombers Forum
October 23, 2018, 10:54:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agent Recievers  (Read 34509 times)
gbill2004

« Reply #420 on: February 12, 2018, 01:41:17 AM »

but don't you think that should start with retaining 2 of the best that are already on our roster?  He's already set us up with the reality of there are 'limited' opportunities to acquire players when you are already a championship quality team with 'limited' needs moving forward... to me, that's a ready made excuse when asked why we didn't upgrade the defense in the off season... maybe I'm cynical... maybe I'd feel different if Heath and Westerman were sitting on someone else's roster and his plan was to snatch them and failed... but from where I'm sitting, I'm preparing myself for a let down... you have every right to feel I'm wrong, and hopefully I am, but that is what I'm seeing and hearing...
Well if Westerman wants ~$200k and Heath wants ~$140k (educated guesses on my part), I?d understand why Walters is moving on.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #421 on: February 12, 2018, 01:41:53 AM »

It's easier for us to make that assessment on our couches or seats. If he feels pressure, he's gonna get rid of the ball. Like Chevelle said, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I'm not too concerned about our offence, considering it was the best in the league last year  

I'm not concerned, im just hoping Matt starts dominating in this part of the game.....it would definitly be a big part towards winning that first play off game this year....
66 Chevelle

« Reply #422 on: February 12, 2018, 01:47:38 AM »

The goal isn?t to have more explosive plays. The goal is to score points, not turnover the ball, and win games. The offence is not the problem.

yet that is exactly what everyone seemed to be complaining about relative to our offense... the lack of big play making receivers, which to me translates late to exactly that, explosive plays.... I'm the one that has consitently lobbied for small tweaks to an already good offense, so don't put words into my mouth and try to say that I'm complaining about the effectiveness of the offense...

I've said all off season that we needed to move our offensive scheme a mere 5 yards longer, just 5 yards... I was told that's not who we are over and over... doesn't play to Nichols strengths... not a LaPo type of offense... we sign Bowman and all you see is 'bombs away'....

and let's not lose sight that afterall, I'm the one that originally started this thread and provided the statistical information relative to pending free agent receivers.... I hardly believe that if I was so adamant in regards to not signing an additional receiver or 2 that I would so willingly have done so... make sense to you?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #423 on: February 12, 2018, 01:49:19 AM »

Well if Westerman wants ~$200k and Heath wants ~$140k (educated guesses on my part), I?d understand why Walters is moving on.

so you're comfortable if the net results is that our defense ultimately takes a step backwards from where we were last year?

gbill2004

« Reply #424 on: February 12, 2018, 01:50:33 AM »

yet that is exactly what everyone seemed to be complaining about relative to our offense... the lack of big play making receivers, which to me translates late to exactly that, explosive plays.... I'm the one that has consitently lobbied for small tweaks to an already good offense, so don't put words into my mouth and try to say that I'm complaining about the effectiveness of the offense...

I've said all off season that we needed to move our offensive scheme a mere 5 yards longer, just 5 yards... I was told that's not who we are over and over... doesn't play to Nichols strengths... not a LaPo type of offense... we sign Bowman and all you see is 'bombs away'....

and let's not lose sight that afterall, I'm the one that originally started this thread and provided the statistical information relative to pending free agent receivers.... I hardly believe that if I was so adamant in regards to not signing an additional receiver or 2 that I would so willingly have done so... make sense to you?
I think with the addition of Bowman you will get a little of what you are wishing for. Not the 50/50 deep ball offence like BC or Edmonton, but I think it?ll open up a bit more with the signing of Bowman. I think Bowman will also improve the red zone offence.
gbill2004

« Reply #425 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:47 AM »

so you're comfortable if the net results is that our defense ultimately takes a step backwards from where we were last year?
I?m not so sure it will. Westerman was a ratio luxury. Based on talent alone, forgetting about the ratio, Okpalaugo and Jeffcoat aren?t necessarily a downgrade. And on Heath, Walters will probably sign a talented DB with similar skills as Heath, but a lower SMS hit. Heath is very good, but I believe he had zero interceptions after game 6 of the season last year. There?s lots of love for him on this forum, but I think he?s replaceable.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #426 on: February 12, 2018, 02:03:08 AM »

I think with the addition of Bowman you will get a little of what you are wishing for. Not the 50/50 deep ball offence like BC or Edmonton, but I think it?ll open up a bit more with the signing of Bowman. I think Bowman will also improve the red zone offence.

but you see, that is the problem with this whole conversation... you implied earlier that I thought we weakened the offense, which I don't... you implied that I was looking for more explosive plays, which I'm not... this response implies that I'm in favor of some 50/50 ball type offense, which I'm not... and yes, the acquistion of Bowman could do exactly what I've been lobbying for the last few months... I'm hopeful, but still leary that we'll see significant changes, but still hopeful and think we've taken a step in the right direction...

but not at the cost of fielding the same, at best, or more than likely a weaker defense... it would seem to me to be spinning our wheels... especially when you factor in the age of these acquisitions and the reality of 1 year contracts... when you live in the reality of the next season is always your best chance at a cup.... first priority should have been defense, no matter what... feel free to disagree all you want, but that's what I see and how I feel...

gbill2004

« Reply #427 on: February 12, 2018, 02:09:34 AM »

but you see, that is the problem with this whole conversation... you implied earlier that I thought we weakened the offense, which I don't... you implied that I was looking for more explosive plays, which I'm not... this response implies that I'm in favor of some 50/50 ball type offense, which I'm not... and yes, the acquistion of Bowman could do exactly what I've been lobbying for the last few months... I'm hopeful, but still leary that we'll see significant changes, but still hopeful and think we've taken a step in the right direction...

but not at the cost of fielding the same, at best, or more than likely a weaker defense... it would seem to me to be spinning our wheels... especially when you factor in the age of these acquisitions and the reality of 1 year contracts... when you live in the reality of the next season is always your best chance at a cup.... first priority should have been defense, no matter what... feel free to disagree all you want, but that's what I see and how I feel...
Okay well you often criticize Nichols for not throwing deep, and for him checking down too much to Harris. I think you?re contradicting yourself a bit here.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #428 on: February 12, 2018, 02:14:59 AM »

Okay well you often criticize Nichols for not throwing deep, and for him checking down too much to Harris. I think you?re contradicting yourself a bit here.

Me? Contradicting? Feel free to go back and read any of my posts relative to the offense where I have explicitly advocated for stretching the field as much as 5 yards, and not looking to make this a long ball team. Show me one post to the contrary before accusing me of contradicting myself. Nichols style of check down has nothing to do with making longer throws, just making better throws. Admittedly so I've been critical of that, however, one has nothing to do with the other... And moving forward, if it's more of the same, I'll be just as critical... if nothing else, I'm consistent in my message and theory... even if they are wrong, I'm consistent...   

66 Chevelle

« Reply #429 on: February 12, 2018, 02:16:52 AM »

in fact, it has been me that has complained that we tend to go too deep once in the red zone instead of maintaining what we did to get there in the first place...  feel free to research it, you'll see that I'm right...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #430 on: February 12, 2018, 02:20:26 AM »

YOU of all people should remember my comments on Nichols and his ability to consistently and accurately throw the long ball, lol...

gbill2004

« Reply #431 on: February 12, 2018, 02:23:41 AM »

YOU of all people should remember my comments on Nichols and his ability to consistently and accurately throw the long ball, lol...
I don?t have time to read all of your previous posts. I just recall you being critical of Nichols not going deep enough, and criticizing his ball security, too many check-downs type offence.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #432 on: February 12, 2018, 02:25:30 AM »

I don?t have time to read all of your previous posts. I just recall you being critical of Nichols not going deep enough, and criticizing his ball security, too many check-downs type offence.

all of which have absolutely nothing to do with length of throw... thank you...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #433 on: February 12, 2018, 02:41:59 AM »

and while I knew what I meant in my last post and didn't make clear in regards to 'not going deep enough' is that I have consistently said that we need to throw deeper than 5 yards... I don't consider a 10-15 yard pass a deep ball throw...

but for you, and the record, I'll make myself abundantly clear on my position so I can't back track as it will be chronicled here on the Bomber forum for eternity, even though you claim to not have the time to read my past post, though you seem to have time to read every twitter comment and article posted on the CFL, that I firmly believe in the following:

Matt Nichols plays too safe a game. Matt Nichols has in the past threw too many passes that are 5 yards long or short and make for the majority of his throws. Matt Nichols can not consistently throw 30-40 yard passes as needed and when needed.

All statements are succinct and have no room for varying interpretations moving forward... I'm good with all of them...

NorthernSkunk

« Reply #434 on: February 12, 2018, 03:10:09 AM »

chevelle makes a lot of sense.....if Matt can start getting more 10-15 yard tosses to anybody....it's gonna open things up a lot. To the point of dominating some games.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30
  Print  

Jump to: