Blue Bombers Forum
December 17, 2018, 02:57:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking a spin on the QB Carousel  (Read 12233 times)
bunker

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 10:33:03 PM »

I don't get this.  The are welching on paying their starter $300k.  How viable can their SMS situation be?

Every other team is paying their starter in the neighbourhood of $400k plus.  Fine, you lowball him this year based on "performance" and spend the difference on the o-line.  If it works and then he puts up numbers, you can't afford the o-linemen you just signed.  And if it doesn't work, you have to cut guys to go out and get another QB in free agency. 

They must be expecting the CBA re-work after 2018 to be significant. 

Just an opinion: 

I don't think Wally is sold on him anymore as a definite starting QB in the CFL, but is willing to see if he can progress. The salary reflects this. He wants money freed up to get a viable #2, (also presumably with an incentive driven contract, so they to some extent cancel each other out in terms of added payments) with any left over being used to improve the roster.

Jennings has all the tools below the shoulders, but I'm not sure he has what it takes in terms of decision making.

Blue In BC

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 10:46:16 PM »

David William Naylor‏Verified account @TSNDaveNaylor

The @MTLAlouettes have signed former NFL quarterback Josh Freeman to a 2-year contract. #CFL #Als

So, if anyone was wondering if the Als would release DD before Monday....

Ok, now we'll play follow the QB and see where he ends up.

Lulay is a potential free agent in Vancouver and some have wondered whether he'll retire due to his injury history.

Could Wally have any interest in Durant or even Willy once he hits free agency?

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2018, 10:52:53 PM »

Just an opinion: 

I don't think Wally is sold on him anymore as a definite starting QB in the CFL, but is willing to see if he can progress. The salary reflects this. He wants money freed up to get a viable #2, (also presumably with an incentive driven contract, so they to some extent cancel each other out in terms of added payments) with any left over being used to improve the roster.

Jennings has all the tools below the shoulders, but I'm not sure he has what it takes in terms of decision making.

there is a logic to what you say, except (a) it isn't Wally who is doing this, it's Hervey, and (b) they are talking about spending the savings on o-linemen to increase protection.

If I was BC GM, I would do it the way you suggest, but that isn't what the article is saying.  I guess they could be just blowing smoke and platitudes, but why not just say it plain.....?

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2018, 10:56:52 PM »

Ok, now we'll play follow the QB and see where he ends up.

Lulay is a potential free agent in Vancouver and some have wondered whether he'll retire due to his injury history.

Could Wally have any interest in Durant or even Willy once he hits free agency?

Does Lulay have a relationship with Buck?  Nichols/Lulay/Davis is a pretty good group...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
bunker

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2018, 11:26:52 PM »

there is a logic to what you say, except (a) it isn't Wally who is doing this, it's Hervey, and (b) they are talking about spending the savings on o-linemen to increase protection.

If I was BC GM, I would do it the way you suggest, but that isn't what the article is saying.  I guess they could be just blowing smoke and platitudes, but why not just say it plain.....?
I stand corrected. Writing "Wally" when talking about BC is a conditioned response with me already. I'm sure Hervey was involved in the decision, but I'm sure Wally's opinion about what Jennings was worth was central to the restructuring.

And, again, just an opinion, but I call BS on Hervey's explanation. He can't very well say that Jennings did not earn his salary, and there are doubts about him going forward. Every team in the league would like to free up salary to retain/improve their O-line, but I don't see any that are happy with their starting QB restructuring their contracts.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2018, 01:17:02 AM »

Does Lulay have a relationship with Buck?  Nichols/Lulay/Davis is a pretty good group...

While Lulay showed promise last year he is not a good option for us for anything but short term. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2018, 01:57:06 AM »

Yeah, an aging, injury prone QB who likes to scramble while leading with his ground chuck shoulder seems like a great option behind Nichols.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2018, 02:37:23 AM »

While Lulay showed promise last year he is not a good option for us for anything but short term. 

Much rather have a short term answer in Lulay than Glenn...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2018, 06:10:35 AM »

We are a short term team. Most of our studs on both sides of the ball are approaching 30 or at 30. We can't afford to burn another season because of bad depth and roster management. We need a guy who can come in and win us football games if Nichols is out for any period of time, because hoping Davis will pan out or hoping our scouting department actually finds a decent QB is too risky. A short term backup with a younger project #3 or PR QB is a very good formula for both short and long term success. Forcing a younger QB or rookie into the #2 role and killing their confidence along with potentially stunting their development is failure on all fronts
Blue In BC

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »

Much rather have a short term answer in Lulay than Glenn...

Lulay is a better QB than Glenn if he stays healthy. He does have a relationship with Buck but he also has one with Reilly.

The Lions haven't seemed to have been in any hurry to re-sign him but that may change now that Jennings has a new lower cost deal.

Or Lulay might be asked to re-negotiate as well.

Much could depend on where Durant ends up if he doesn't take a cut in Montreal? Domino's, Domino's.

Hmmm. I have a craving for pizza all of a sudden.

No more excuses.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2018, 09:58:15 PM »

I got a question.....at around just over the half way mark of last season I started questioning our #2 QB scenario, I was asking how we were set for a back up(just in case of course), and I was basically told to forget about it......that Matt was our number one and you ride yer number one all the way !............now this thread is making me wonder why the #2 spot is so important all of a sudden ?
blue_or_die

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2018, 10:03:02 PM »

I got a question.....at around just over the half way mark of last season I started questioning our #2 QB scenario, I was asking how we were set for a back up(just in case of course), and I was basically told to forget about it......that Matt was our number one and you ride yer number one all the way !............now this thread is making me wonder why the #2 spot is so important all of a sudden ?

You were told that because to get an answer like, "Matt is our number one and you ride him all the way", you must have been insinuating that we ought to replace our number one QB, Matt Nichols, with someone else, which would have been an awful idea.

Number 2 is important in case your number 1 goes down and you have to rely on the backup to win a significant amount of games in relief.
Tehedra

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2018, 10:11:45 PM »

You were told that because to get an answer like, "Matt is our number one and you ride him all the way", you must have been insinuating that we ought to replace our number one QB, Matt Nichols, with someone else, which would have been an awful idea.

Number 2 is important in case your number 1 goes down and you have to rely on the backup to win a significant amount of games in relief.

As well, you still don't expect your number two will win the big show; the expectation is they will win a significant amount of games in relief until your starter is back from injury. You still always hope that your starter will be there when the lights come on in the finals because they give you the best chance of success.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2018, 11:07:11 PM »

As well, you still don't expect your number two will win the big show; the expectation is they will win a significant amount of games in relief until your starter is back from injury. You still always hope that your starter will be there when the lights come on in the finals because they give you the best chance of success.

This

Not only that but take in acount the expearence Glenn brings in to work with the #3 guy.

You have Buck, Nic and Glenn to work with ur #3 guy. Thats some really good guys to work with.

Regardless of Glenns record in big games his over all expearence is something to tap into.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2018, 12:20:23 AM »

K, I gotta learn how to make my questions or comments not sound insinuating. I was seriously wondering what we had for a back up because I thought we were gonna make the playoffs and had a decent chance.....then naturally you wonder what ya got for a back up.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: