Blue Bombers Forum
January 17, 2018, 06:04:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking a spin on the QB Carousel  (Read 3730 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »

If Stanley gets a raise this year it's going to have implications along the line.  Hopefully they can resign Foketi to replace Bond as he's good insurance if their Cdn. content fails them.

Foketi is a tackle. If Foketi is as good as some people think, then possibly, you could make a case that the 27-year-old Foketi is a logical economic replacement for the 31-year-old Bryant without a significant drop-off in talent. I'm not saying that's true, but it could be a place we could look to save, especially considering Bryant might be one of the highest paid lineman in the league next year. If you can find a prospect to back-up Foketi and if Foketi really is good, it's an option. Those are two big if's at a crucial positon, though.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 07:54:15 PM »

Foketi is a tackle. If Foketi is as good as some people think, then possibly, you could make a case that the 27-year-old Foketi is a logical economic replacement for the 31-year-old Bryant without a significant drop-off in talent. I'm not saying that's true, but it could be a place we could look to save, especially considering Bryant might be one of the highest paid lineman in the league next year. If you can find a prospect to back-up Foketi and if Foketi really is good, it's an option. Those are two big if's at a crucial positon, though.

Correct, Foketi moves to RT and Hardrick moves to LG.  Stanley stays put.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:57:50 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »

I'm not sure if the place I want them to roll the dice is at LT. If we need to cut costs, there are other places to look at.

I would hope we do all we can to keep the OL as is.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2017, 08:02:32 PM »

Correct, Foketi moves to RT and Hardrick moves to LG.  Stanley stays put.

Could be another option but I think we have too much Canadian talent along the interior to play Hardrick at guard. You can't keep those guys on the bench forever nor would you want to I wouldn't think.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »

Could be another option but I think we have too much Canadian talent along the interior to play Hardrick at guard. You can't keep those guys on the bench forever nor would you want to I wouldn't think.

Agreed, but if Cdn. content fails, re-signing Foketi is good insurance.  Wouldn't be surprised if he moves on though, he's been waiting two years for his shot.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »

Agreed, but if Cdn. content fails, re-signing Foketi is good insurance.  Wouldn't be surprised if he moves on though, he's been waiting two years for his shot.

I agree with you there. He'll go somewhere where we can play (or have a better chance of playing) if we resign Bryant this off-season.
blue girl

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2017, 08:16:08 PM »

I'm not sure if the place I want them to roll the dice is at LT. If we need to cut costs, there are other places to look at.

I would hope we do all we can to keep the OL as is.
I agree with you. We have to protect the QBs blindside. We definitely don't want to save money on the OL.
GCn17

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »

Didn't Hervey bring Franklin into the league?  Jennings is Wally's boy.  I can see BC in the mix, sure.  But if they land Franklin, Jennings would be traded real quick.  Have to wonder how Jennings deal is constructed, if there is any roster bonus money and if it occurs before FA day. 

Jennings is a pending FA that has expressed interest, and reportedly has interest reciprocated, in the NFL.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:51 PM »

Jennings is a pending FA that has expressed interest, and reportedly has interest reciprocated, in the NFL.

At least two NFL teams have shown interest in Jennings: the Vikings and the Packers. (http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-lions-jonathon-jennings-nfl)

Franklin ending up in BC isn't an unlikely scenario, especially now that Hervey is the GM.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 02:54:23 AM »

Jennings is a pending FA?  Since when? 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:17 AM »

As good as Franklin MAY be, he still hasn't proven such at the pro level for any real length of time, I think it will be hard for him to make an NFL team roster, unless it's the practice roster. I think he'd serve himself better if he played here in the CFL for at least 1, if not 2 years. As of now, it's all pretty much hype and nothing else. Don't get me wrong, I do like him and think he'll be a great QB in the CFL, not so sure he would make it down south though. Here he is competing against 18, down there he is competing against essentially 64... Afterall, he didn't get any love in the draft but did sign a free agent deal with Detroit that lasted about 15 minutes...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
gbill2004

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »

Ya I don?t see Jennings on the CFL official list of pending free agents.
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »

He isn't. He signed an extension through the 2018 season back in May last year. (https://www.bclions.com/2016/05/05/jennings-extension/)

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »

As good as Franklin MAY be, he still hasn't proven such at the pro level for any real length of time, I think it will be hard for him to make an NFL team roster, unless it's the practice roster. I think he'd serve himself better if he played here in the CFL for at least 1, if not 2 years. As of now, it's all pretty much hype and nothing else. Don't get me wrong, I do like him and think he'll be a great QB in the CFL, not so sure he would make it down south though. Here he is competing against 18, down there he is competing against essentially 64... Afterall, he didn't get any love in the draft but did sign a free agent deal with Detroit that lasted about 15 minutes...

This is just it. You know who else looked like 'the next one' and had great success as a back-up? Drew Willy. I'm not suggesting that Franklin is going to be a bust, but there's been plenty guys who looked like they were going to be great with a small sample size and were proven not to be.
Jesse

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »

This is just it. You know who else looked like 'the next one' and had great success as a back-up? Drew Willy. I'm not suggesting that Franklin is going to be a bust, but there's been plenty guys who looked like they were going to be great with a small sample size and were proven not to be.

Meh. Drew Willy was never as highly thought of Franklin.

I'd say Mike Reilly would be a better example.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: