Blue Bombers Forum
January 17, 2018, 06:04:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 9248 times)
Tehedra

« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »

Both the Esks and Stamps had about 20 players on their IR at the end of the season. Many of those were starting players. The Esks lost about 4 RB's during the season and trading for Gable was about their 5th starting RB. They lost Sherritt and many starting OL.

The Esks still have 71 players on their roster as a result. We finished the season about 54 and then signed a few of our PR guys and a few rookies since the end of the season. Now we sit at 60 IIRC.

So don't spew that we were the hardest hit going into the playoffs.

I think injury timing does make a difference though. When we received our injuries we also couldn't sign and play certain players or allow them time to really get used to our play book. Sure Edmonton had a ton of long term injuries, but those injuries game hard and early. A seven win streak allowed them to work throug the injuries and find adequate replacements. By the time playoffs rolled around they had a winning streak going on with the replacements and even got some key starters back though some of those starters had even lost their roles to the replacements. When our injury bug hit us we didn't really have much opportunity to do the same thing, one of our major injuries also fell during the period where you could sign a guy that was released but he couldn't play this year. That means all we could play would have been pure rooks or of the shelf vets that no one wanted at all. So I mean we could compare ourselves to Edmonton, or accept that Edmonton was a strong team come playoff time with different circumstances then our own.
GCn17

« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2018, 02:37:51 PM »

As Milt Stegall says, injuries are no excuse. A well rounded and built football team can overcome injuries. Simple as that. It sucks when starters go down but losing 3 players, unless it's your QB, shouldn't end your season. The Bombers had poor depth behind Leggett, no answer for losing Westerman at NAT, and unready receiving depth when injuries struck. Part of KW's job is having players behind these guys that don't constitute a drop off a cliff if they go down. We lost because we didn't have the depth we needed to win at certain positions. Plain and simple.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
TBURGESS

« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2018, 02:43:36 PM »

The timing of our injuries was important. If we'd got them early in the season, we most likely wouldn't have made the playoffs at all.

Being right never gets old.
GCn17

« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »

The timing of our injuries was important. If we'd got them early in the season, we most likely wouldn't have made the playoffs at all.

This could be true. It's why I don't buy into the 'well we were injured excuse".

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
the paw

« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2018, 03:24:51 PM »

I think that's overly pessimistic.  I think if those injuries had occurred mid-season we likely go 10-8 instead of 12-6 and would have had to go on the road for the play-offs. 

grab grass 'n growl
GCn17

« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2018, 03:26:14 PM »

I think that's overly pessimistic.  I think if those injuries had occurred mid-season we likely go 10-8 instead of 12-6 and would have had to go on the road for the play-offs. 

Probably....if the SAME injuries had occurred.

Blue In BC

« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »

I think injury timing does make a difference though. When we received our injuries we also couldn't sign and play certain players or allow them time to really get used to our play book. Sure Edmonton had a ton of long term injuries, but those injuries game hard and early. A seven win streak allowed them to work throug the injuries and find adequate replacements. By the time playoffs rolled around they had a winning streak going on with the replacements and even got some key starters back though some of those starters had even lost their roles to the replacements. When our injury bug hit us we didn't really have much opportunity to do the same thing, one of our major injuries also fell during the period where you could sign a guy that was released but he couldn't play this year. That means all we could play would have been pure rooks or of the shelf vets that no one wanted at all. So I mean we could compare ourselves to Edmonton, or accept that Edmonton was a strong team come playoff time with different circumstances then our own.

Yes it makes a difference however it's a matter of having good depth with players on the PR.

I struggle to name ONE player on the PR after TC that was activated that made any impact. Other teams had that depth that we didn't.

No more excuses.
Blue72

« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2018, 04:05:29 PM »

Most of MOS backups are ST players only and not real backups eg:LBers
GCn17

« Reply #233 on: January 15, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »

Most of MOS backups are ST players only and not real backups eg:LBers

Those are the players that Walters provides.

Ducky

« Reply #234 on: January 15, 2018, 05:31:43 PM »

Key injuries at the end of the season definitely hurt the Bombers chances.  Dont forget the Eskimos lost, what, 7 in a row with all their injuries.

Still, what cost the Bombers against the Eskimos were the same problems the D had ALL YEAR.  Giving up big plays.  Blown coverage leaving receivers uncovered in the backfield.  Sometimes 15 or so yards away from the nearest defender.
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2018, 12:21:41 AM »

Those are the players that Walters provides.

How does that differ from any other team, though? Most back-ups play on STs, anyway.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  

Jump to: