Blue Bombers Forum
June 18, 2018, 02:34:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking a spin on the QB Carousel  (Read 7404 times)
Jesse

« on: December 01, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »

A look at the upcoming FA QB prospects. There's going to be more movement at QBs than the Burris/Collaros/Willy year. I personally love the idea of Durant coming in as a back-up. The guy makes a lot of good points with the Lapo/Dressler connection.

---------------------------------

JEFF KREVER
CFL.CA
@JEFFKREVER

Welcome to the off-season.

Let me start by saying I expect to receive some heat for this (and I welcome it), but the point of this exercise is to have some fun and also open up a discussion on what?s going to happen before kickoff next June.

At first glance, the possibilities appear to be endless as this hurricane that is the 2018 CFL off-season continues to develop. It starts at the quarterback position, where three starters are currently without a contract past Feb. 13:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/01/taking-spin-quarterback-carousel/
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 07:45:01 PM »

This article has Darian Durant as our backup QB in 2018. I'm not sure what to think about that!
bluengold204

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »

This article has Darian Durant as our backup QB in 2018. I'm not sure what to think about that!

Yeah I have spent a lot of banjo bowls cursing at him from the stands
Jesse

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:27:15 PM »

It?s brilliant!
limodriver

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »

I expect Durant is going to want to start, or atleast see significant playing time.  He is not going to get that in Winnipeg.  I see they have us keeping Davis over Lefevour?  No way....  I would keep Lefevour simply for his short yardage play. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »

It's brilliant!

It is? Unless he's willing to take a reduced salary and a backup position, I don't really see him as a viable option.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »

I expect Durant is going to want to start, or atleast see significant playing time.  He is not going to get that in Winnipeg.  I see they have us keeping Davis over Lefevour?  No way....  I would keep Lefevour simply for his short yardage play. 

And I expect he knows he's no longer starter material. He will play the Kevin Glenn role: an excellent, excellent backup.

I hated Durant for years and years because he was so good, with my most hated team. I would absolutely love Nichols-Durant-Lefevour. That's some sick QB depth with that amount of starting experience!

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
BlueInCgy

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »

For the right price, I've got no issue with Durant being #2 here.  I thought what the Bombers were doing platooning Lefevour in for short yardage and then having him play the next down in hurry up was actually something I'd like to see on the regular.  Now imagine that scenario with Durant's arm.  QB sneak against the big boys for the first down, don't let the short yardage team off the field, and run a 30 yard passing play (provided we have the receivers to run those routes).
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »

hes not though!

Back up time if he wants???

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Jesse

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:44:17 PM »

You so silly.
blue_or_die

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »

For the right price, I've got no issue with Durant being #2 here.  I thought what the Bombers were doing platooning Lefevour in for short yardage and then having him play the next down in hurry up was actually something I'd like to see on the regular.  Now imagine that scenario with Durant's arm.  QB sneak against the big boys for the first down, don't let the short yardage team off the field, and run a 30 yard passing play (provided we have the receivers to run those routes).

That's true, with Durant here at number two he could play the role of Lefevour, except he would be able to complete a pass.

We could then get a blue chip #3 and take the time to develop him.

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
the paw

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »

And I expect he knows he's no longer starter material. He will play the Kevin Glenn role: an excellent, excellent backup.

I hated Durant for years and years because he was so good, with my most hated team. I would absolutely love Nichols-Durant-Lefevour. That's some sick QB depth with that amount of starting experience!

I don't agree, I think Durant still thinks of himself as a starter who just had a bad year.  If the Als release him, I think he is at a minimum going to want to go to a situation where he can compete to start.  I don't he settles for straight back-up money, I think his ego is still substantial.  

I think the odds are that the Als bring him back, but also sign another potential starter and let them duke it out.  The only other two options I see for him is (a) Hamilton if they fail to sign Masoli or Manziel, or (b) BC, where he could fill in for Lulay while he heals and be insurance in case Jennings makes an NFL run.  (I thought I read that Jennings was interested in working out for the NFL this off season, but this article doesn't seem to reflect that).

grab grass 'n growl
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 08:52:12 PM »

I don't agree, I think Durant still thinks of himself as a starter who just had a bad year.  If the Als release him, I think he is at a minimum going to want to go to a situation where he can compete to start.  I don't he settles for straight back-up money, I think his ego is still substantial.  

I couldn't agree more. He's a very proud person, even to be point of arrogant at times. I can't see him taking a backup position just like that.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 09:02:14 PM »

I couldn't agree more. He's a very proud person, even to be point of arrogant at times. I can't see him taking a backup position just like that.

Well, we?ll see how many starting positions are available after the musical chairs stop, but I don?t expect him to be signed as a starter anywhere, so it?ll depend on who has the best pitch for him as a back up.
blue_or_die

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 09:02:51 PM »

I think the odds are that the Als bring him back, but also sign another potential starter and let them duke it out.  The only other two options I see for him is (a) Hamilton if they fail to sign Masoli or Manziel, or (b) BC, where he could fill in for Lulay while he heals and be insurance in case Jennings makes an NFL run.  (I thought I read that Jennings was interested in working out for the NFL this off season, but this article doesn't seem to reflect that).

Guess we will have to wait and see where he signs and under what circumstances. Watching him this year it was glaringly obvious that he is done as a starter. If there's one person who doesn't think that, it's likely him. I'm not sure what team would pay him starters money.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: