Blue Bombers Forum
June 18, 2018, 03:51:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 5 free agents the Bombers need to re-sign  (Read 8060 times)
blue girl

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »

I consider Leggett and Randle the top priorities. Hopefully we can get a starting DB in free agency.
Blue In BC

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2018, 10:40:59 PM »

Impossible to argue against anybody's thoughts regarding these 3 top players. The one thing we all agree about is that these are 3 very talented players.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:02 PM »

One of the media guys on twitter suggested Walters will definitely be looking to make a splash in free agency, so we have that to look forward to.  Hopefully Walters has been tampering and already has some deals in place for an upgrade in the secondary, and maybe MLB. 

How can you be active in FA if you can't even sign your own guys?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 11:21:56 PM »

How can you be active in FA if you can't even sign your own guys?
Is that a serious question? 

Because some free agents might be cheaper than your own guys  Roll Eyes
Tehedra

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 11:25:14 PM »

Or you could feel that your veteran player money could be better spent on another position and believe your over all talent will be better.
1chad

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 11:34:37 PM »

Leggat
Randle

resigned already
Bryant
Medlock
Dressler

next tier

TJ Heath

On to free agency - another deep threat WR
theaardvark

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 11:56:04 PM »

Is that a serious question? 

Because some free agents might be cheaper than your own guys  Roll Eyes

Seriously?  Sure, cheaper, but better?  Anyone equal or better is going to be getting more money...

Or you could feel that your veteran player money could be better spent on another position and believe your over all talent will be better.

Better spent than on the only part of our secondary that actually worked last year?  Other than upgrading MLB, which is where I could see a "splash", and should already be in the budget (which might be why we can't sign all three) where do you see another position where money is better spent than on top quality, character guys that we already know and love?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 12:04:14 AM »

Seriously?  Sure, cheaper, but better?  Anyone equal or better is going to be getting more money...
Yes, seriously. If you have good CFL scouts who scout other teams rosters. Do you remember the Darvin Adams signing?  Chris Randle wasn?t technically a free agent signing, but he?s another good example.
Tehedra

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 03:05:19 AM »

Better spent than on the only part of our secondary that actually worked last year?  Other than upgrading MLB, which is where I could see a "splash", and should already be in the budget (which might be why we can't sign all three) where do you see another position where money is better spent than on top quality, character guys that we already know and love?

Aards, for being a business owner I'm surprised you don't understand the concept that you can improve the bottom line by making adjustments to your inventory. I mean treat each player as a number, give each player a score, a cost and a risk. Then apply limits like X can be spent in Y category, you can only have so many N players and N types of players and instead of doing financial forecasting do talent pool forecasting and comparisons. Different combinations of quality products can yield or net different results. Even if all are valuable, high grade products an analysis can be done to determine over all composition improvement.
theaardvark

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2018, 04:20:54 AM »

Aards, for being a business owner I'm surprised you don't understand the concept that you can improve the bottom line by making adjustments to your inventory. I mean treat each player as a number, give each player a score, a cost and a risk. Then apply limits like X can be spent in Y category, you can only have so many N players and N types of players and instead of doing financial forecasting do talent pool forecasting and comparisons. Different combinations of quality products can yield or net different results. Even if all are valuable, high grade products an analysis can be done to determine over all composition improvement.

I am fully aware of how to improve things by adjusting where you can... my question is where?  Where do you improve the team with a FA other than the DB corps?  MLB, sure, maybe a WR?  But other than that, DB's are key.  And these are three of the top in their positions.  Can't get better than them...

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »

I am fully aware of how to improve things by adjusting where you can... my question is where?  Where do you improve the team with a FA other than the DB corps?  MLB, sure, maybe a WR?  But other than that, DB's are key.  And these are three of the top in their positions.  Can't get better than them...

No, not sure or maybe regarding either MLB or WR. It is imperative to improve both positions and via FA seems like the ideal way to do it. The team needs proven talent at those positions; it can't afford to gamble on unproven unknowns.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:01 PM »

No, not sure or maybe regarding either MLB or WR. It is imperative to improve both positions and via FA seems like the ideal way to do it. The team needs proven talent at those positions; it can't afford to gamble on unproven unknowns.

I don't disagree but on the other hand, we can't afford to sign all of our current big name free agents so paying top dollar for other team's seems like that might also be tough. Ideally, it would be awesome to use free agency, and perhaps Walters has money earmarked for that, but out of necessity we really need scouting to come through for us this year. I think one of the only differences between our 12-6 team last year and a really overwhelming, dominate Grey Cup favoured team is 2 or 3 standouts on entry deals. You've got to find those yourself.
theaardvark

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:11 PM »

Which is why you re-sign your own guys instead of trying to find a bargain in FA.  Adams was a "bargain" FA find, sure, and it worked out pretty good, but if you want a proven talent, you will have to pay.  You aren't getting a proven talent at a bargain price, ever, unless he has baggage or injuries.

If I can sign someone elses proven DB and it costs me close to what my guy is asking, no way I'm not keeping guys we know and love.  

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 02:22:16 PM »

I don't disagree but on the other hand, we can't afford to sign all of our current big name free agents so paying top dollar for other team's seems like that might also be tough. Ideally, it would be awesome to use free agency, and perhaps Walters has money earmarked for that, but out of necessity we really need scouting to come through for us this year. I think one of the only differences between our 12-6 team last year and a really overwhelming, dominate Grey Cup favoured team is 2 or 3 standouts on entry deals. You've got to find those yourself.

Paying for a MLB and WR - both areas of need - shouldn't put the team in a bad position SMS-wise. Despite their best efforts, the scouting dept. still hasn't been able to unearth a standout player at either position, so consider my faith shaken in that regard. More than anything, I don't want to see another defense hindered by sub-par or even flat out pathetic MLBing.

Which is why you re-sign your own guys instead of trying to find a bargain in FA.  Adams was a "bargain" FA find, sure, and it worked out pretty good, but if you want a proven talent, you will have to pay.  You aren't getting a proven talent at a bargain price, ever, unless he has baggage or injuries.

If I can sign someone elses proven DB and it costs me close to what my guy is asking, no way I'm not keeping guys we know and love.  

Except you forgot the fact the Bombers don't currently have a worthwhile option at MLB or WR.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »

Except you forgot the fact the Bombers don't currently have a worthwhile option at MLB or WR.
I think Aards is referring to our DBs, Heath and Randle. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: