Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2018, 07:41:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New STP vocalist  (Read 1595 times)
Chris1982
« on: November 22, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »

STP new lead singer Jeff Gutt gave his first performance a few days ago... he is no Scott Weiland, but is still a pretty good fit for the "new" STP.  From what I can tell, I like him so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMhiXmjA7pA

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »

Sounds quite similar to Scott. I approve.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »

I heard there first show on Lithium he sounds awesome and there new single ?Meadow? is a good new song as well. Hope they come to the Peg.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 01:53:14 AM »

STP new lead singer Jeff Gutt gave his first performance a few days ago... he is no Scott Weiland, but is still a pretty good fit for the "new" STP.  From what I can tell, I like him so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMhiXmjA7pA

NO WAY! I remember him from the X Factor, lol... he's not terrible I guess... I didn't realize STP was still around and making music. I saw them way way back in the day when Scott was still with them... Really like Velvet Revolver too...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Chris1982
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »

NO WAY! I remember him from the X Factor, lol... he's not terrible I guess... I didn't realize STP was still around and making music. I saw them way way back in the day when Scott was still with them... Really like Velvet Revolver too...

Lots of people dont know this, but Scott Weiland also had 2 other bands that he sang with!  He made an album as part of "Art of Anchary", which was a band that also had Scott Stapp of Creed... he also had a band for a few years called "Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts".
The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »

Also had a solo album "12 Bar Blues". Not sure what genre it falls into, but it's not bad. Definitely shall we say different.
gbill2004

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 09:45:25 PM »

He's no Scott Weiland, but I guess the voice is similar.  Just seems like a cover band with no Scott leading. 
Chris1982
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »

He's no Scott Weiland, but I guess the voice is similar.  Just seems like a cover band with no Scott leading. 

Yeah but not really a cover band as they are reinventing themselves and making new music.  They are not covering old STP songs.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 08:07:14 PM »

Yeah but not really a cover band as they are reinventing themselves and making new music.  They are not covering old STP songs.

I saw that as well, and was actually impressed that they made the decision to move forward and create new music as opposed to relying on past successes. However, while Gutt is adequate, I don't feel that he sings with the same dark angst that Wieland did, which personally, I felt kind of defined STP. However, Gutt will probably live a lot longer than Scott did...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »

Lots of people dont know this, but Scott Weiland also had 2 other bands that he sang with!  He made an album as part of "Art of Anchary", which was a band that also had Scott Stapp of Creed... he also had a band for a few years called "Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts".

and don't forget about The Magnificent ******** or The Wondergirls...

BlueInCgy

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 08:59:20 PM »

I didn't mind his voice, liked the first couple of STP albums, they kind of lost me at Tiny Music.

That being said, (what's the nicest way to say this?)  I can't help but feel that being the lead singer in STP is kind of like being the drummer for Spinal Tap.  I hope for Jeff's sake and the band's sake that this is not the case, but honestly I think they should have just called it a day after Scott died, and definitely called it a day when Chester died (yes, I realize that he wasn't a member when he died, but he did spend a couple of years in the band).
66 Chevelle

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 03:19:14 AM »

I didn't mind his voice, liked the first couple of STP albums, they kind of lost me at Tiny Music.

That being said, (what's the nicest way to say this?)  I can't help but feel that being the lead singer in STP is kind of like being the drummer for Spinal Tap.  I hope for Jeff's sake and the band's sake that this is not the case, but honestly I think they should have just called it a day after Scott died, and definitely called it a day when Chester died (yes, I realize that he wasn't a member when he died, but he did spend a couple of years in the band).

agreed, because the most he will ever be is just a replacement... Few have ever followed in the foot steps of the orginal and been successful. Hagar did, and Brian Johnson and AC/DC had commercial success yet to me came across as more of a average copy cat of Bon Scott. I'm sure there are others that have done 'ok', but they never really are the same...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: