Las Vegas Golden Knights - Contenders or Pretenders?

Started by ModAdmin, November 20, 2017, 04:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are they

contenders for the Stanley Cup
9 (32.1%)
contenders for the playoffs
8 (28.6%)
pretenders - no playoffs
5 (17.9%)
just plain lucky right now
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

theaardvark

The Jets did not play a good game, yet they easily handled the well rested Knights.  The Knights looked like an expansion team out there tonight.

We will clinch in Game 5 here at home.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

PloenFan

Fleury had a rough first period, but settled down after that.
Perhaps we shouldn't underestimate Vegas.
Our boys need to keep their foot on the gas and not take anything for granted.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on May 13, 2018, 04:15:34 AM
The Jets did not play a good game, yet they easily handled the well rested Knights.  The Knights looked like an expansion team out there tonight.

We will clinch in Game 5 here at home.

What?
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

theaardvark

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on May 13, 2018, 02:17:36 PM

What?

What what? 

They won, but they could have played a lot better... they missed a lot of open net chances, Wheeler skating past MAF and then sliding the puck across the crease on what should have been an easy goal. Too many times players had a loose puck and MAF out or position / on the ice. 

Just winning might be good for some, but most of us want them to play their best, every game.  Last night was not their best by a long shot. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

I think we played very well considering. We only had one day of rest and had to travel home to boot. The Jet's looked tired in the second period.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on May 13, 2018, 02:59:58 PM
What what? 

They won, but they could have played a lot better... they missed a lot of open net chances, Wheeler skating past MAF and then sliding the puck across the crease on what should have been an easy goal. Too many times players had a loose puck and MAF out or position / on the ice. 

Just winning might be good for some, but most of us want them to play their best, every game.  Last night was not their best by a long shot. 

Its hockey and its the playoffs. They just finished off 7 games with the best team in the NHL and had one day to rest.

If you dont have to play balls out then you dont.

theaardvark

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on May 13, 2018, 08:06:08 PM

Its hockey and its the playoffs. They just finished off 7 games with the best team in the NHL and had one day to rest.

If you dont have to play balls out then you dont.

Ummm.. yes you do.  You take your foot off the gas and you get hurt.  You always play full out.

Gotta love Maurice...

Paul Maurice to Patrik Laine: "You got to f***ing move your feet, kid." *Laine shoots and scores* Maurice: "Or do that."

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/995725085372661760

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on May 13, 2018, 08:35:24 PM
Ummm.. yes you do.  You take your foot off the gas and you get hurt.  You always play full out.

Gotta love Maurice...

Paul Maurice to Patrik Laine: "You got to f***ing move your feet, kid." *Laine shoots and scores* Maurice: "Or do that."

Playing defensive hockey isn't taking your foot off the gas. Last night was one of their best games since game 2 vs the Wild. They would be hard pressed to play better than they just did.

Maurice also wasn't talking to Laine in that clip

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on May 13, 2018, 08:35:24 PM

Gotta love Maurice...

No you dont. After a long hard 7 games with 1 day rest and facing a team with a different style of play and  you get up 3 you dont keep playing full out.

You shut it down and play a defence mode.

PloenFan

Watching the first game against Vegas, I wasn't as scared of scoring chances from their defencemen as in the Nashville series.

After comparing Nashville's and Vegas' regular season it looks as if Vegas' defencemen may not be as big of scoring threats as Nashville's:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014122018.html
Nashville's defencemen scored 56 goals in the regular season
Top defenceman goals: Subban 16, Josi 14, Ekholm 10

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0077762018.html
Vegas' defencemen scored 37 goals in the regular season
Top defenceman goals: Miller 10, Theodore 6, Schmidt, Engelland, McNabb 5

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: PloenFan on May 14, 2018, 01:18:02 AM
Watching the first game against Vegas, I wasn't as scared of scoring chances from their defencemen as in the Nashville series.

After comparing Nashville's and Vegas' regular season it looks as if Vegas' defencemen may not be as big of scoring threats as Nashville's:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014122018.html
Nashville's defencemen scored 56 goals in the regular season
Top defenceman goals: Subban 16, Josi 14, Ekholm 10

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0077762018.html
Vegas' defencemen scored 37 goals in the regular season
Top defenceman goals: Miller 10, Theodore 6, Schmidt, Engelland, McNabb 5

For sure.

It will be a whole different game then we just played.

I think The Jets played a smart game last night jumping up in score and then going into a more defence mode and getting a look at what Vegas does.

To win The Cup its all about playing smart hockey.

Pigskin

I thought we had more mental breakdown in the 2nd game. Bad line change, pinching D when he didn't need to.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_or_die

As they were able to demonstrate last night, Vegas is:

1) Good at capitalizing on opportunities (our mistakes), and;
2) Fully capable of playing shut down hockey. Like the Preds, only with a less skilled D core BUT a more clutch goalie.

Reminded me of Games 4 and 6 against Nash- establish a lead and hang on against everything we can throw their way.
#Ride?

bluengold204

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 15, 2018, 04:20:06 PM
As they were able to demonstrate last night, Vegas is:

1) Good at capitalizing on opportunities (our mistakes), and;
2) Fully capable of playing shut down hockey. Like the Preds, only with a less skilled D core BUT a more clutch goalie.

Reminded me of Games 4 and 6 against Nash- establish a lead and hang on against everything we can throw their way.

hmmmm I dunno about that

blue_or_die

Quote from: bluengold204 on May 15, 2018, 06:20:00 PM
hmmmm I dunno about that

Rinne is no slouch, but I would consider him a more overall well-carried, methodical, consistent, and technical goalie vs MAF who's sort of a "wildcard" and is likely to have an atrocious game followed by one where every bounce just goes his way.
#Ride?