Las Vegas Golden Knights - Contenders or Pretenders?

Started by ModAdmin, November 20, 2017, 04:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are they

contenders for the Stanley Cup
9 (32.1%)
contenders for the playoffs
8 (28.6%)
pretenders - no playoffs
5 (17.9%)
just plain lucky right now
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

ModAdmin

As of November 19th they are 12 and 6, in second place in the Pacific Division, one point behind the Kings who lead the division (and who the GK's beat tonight).  Are they contenders or pretenders?
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Chris1982

They are definitely off to a good start - and have a good combination of youth and experience, offense and defense - still way too early to tell if they will have long term success after not even playing 20 games yet in their entire existence... however they definitely look like one of the best expansion teams ever and definitely look like a playoff contender.

BomberPride

I agree, it's still too early to tell. I think by February we'll have a better idea of how real the Knights are.
What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?

Sir Blue and Gold

I opt for the third choice. They are overachievers. I think they'll fall back to earth as the grind of 82 games sets in (they can't keep up their torrid pace every night) and when their no-name goaltenders have their inevitable regression. Being in Vegas they'll have a lot of travel as well.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 20, 2017, 04:06:49 PM
I opt for the third choice. They are overachievers. I think they'll fall back to earth as the grind of 82 games sets in (they can't keep up their torrid pace every night) and when their no-name goaltenders have their inevitable regression. Being in Vegas they'll have a lot of travel as well.

Agreed. I don't want to be thrown in the "hater pile" but I'm not convinced anything they have is anything more than a pleasant surprise (for them, and Bettman) and is not sustainable. I think they will even out middle-of-the-pack by the end of the season. However, if management is smart, they will become contenders faster than most will have predicted. Just not this year.
#Ride?

gbill2004

They will revert to who they really are and will miss the playoffs. 

buckzumhoff

I think they have good coaching.. they seem faster than other teams. They have team speed and they check hard. I think they make the playoffs and get by at least the first round, knocked out in the second or third round.

GOLDMEMBER

The Golden Showers will regress and miss the playoffs
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

They are certainly looking like the real thing so far...

blue_or_die

Quote from: The Zipp on January 01, 2018, 06:30:05 AM
They are certainly looking like the real thing so far...

No way they miss the playoffs now...
#Ride?

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 01, 2018, 08:23:49 PM
Yep, I'll eat my words on my earlier prediction.  This is pretty incredible. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 01, 2018, 08:23:49 PM

Agreed. They're sitting pretty going into the second half of the season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 26, 2017, 07:59:10 PM
The Golden Showers will regress and miss the playoffs

I change my mind they are contenders
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jockitch

Last night's loss to the Blues was only the Knights 10th loss in regulation, plus have only 2 OT losses.   BEYOND BELIEF at this point.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

Moneyball?  Is that what we're seeing?  The results are greater than the sum of the parts?

Good coaching?  The players have obviously bought in.

Is it sustainable?  Can they ride this into the playoffs, and then what?  Is this team built to win in that situation?

I guess we will see...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.