Las Vegas Golden Knights - Contenders or Pretenders?

Started by ModAdmin, November 20, 2017, 04:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are they

contenders for the Stanley Cup
9 (32.1%)
contenders for the playoffs
8 (28.6%)
pretenders - no playoffs
5 (17.9%)
just plain lucky right now
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

ModAdmin

As of November 19th they are 12 and 6, in second place in the Pacific Division, one point behind the Kings who lead the division (and who the GK's beat tonight).  Are they contenders or pretenders?
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Chris1982

They are definitely off to a good start - and have a good combination of youth and experience, offense and defense - still way too early to tell if they will have long term success after not even playing 20 games yet in their entire existence... however they definitely look like one of the best expansion teams ever and definitely look like a playoff contender.

BomberPride

I agree, it's still too early to tell. I think by February we'll have a better idea of how real the Knights are.
What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?

Sir Blue and Gold

I opt for the third choice. They are overachievers. I think they'll fall back to earth as the grind of 82 games sets in (they can't keep up their torrid pace every night) and when their no-name goaltenders have their inevitable regression. Being in Vegas they'll have a lot of travel as well.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 20, 2017, 04:06:49 PM
I opt for the third choice. They are overachievers. I think they'll fall back to earth as the grind of 82 games sets in (they can't keep up their torrid pace every night) and when their no-name goaltenders have their inevitable regression. Being in Vegas they'll have a lot of travel as well.

Agreed. I don't want to be thrown in the "hater pile" but I'm not convinced anything they have is anything more than a pleasant surprise (for them, and Bettman) and is not sustainable. I think they will even out middle-of-the-pack by the end of the season. However, if management is smart, they will become contenders faster than most will have predicted. Just not this year.
#Ride?

gbill2004

They will revert to who they really are and will miss the playoffs. 

buckzumhoff

I think they have good coaching.. they seem faster than other teams. They have team speed and they check hard. I think they make the playoffs and get by at least the first round, knocked out in the second or third round.

GOLDMEMBER

The Golden Showers will regress and miss the playoffs
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

They are certainly looking like the real thing so far...

blue_or_die

Quote from: The Zipp on January 01, 2018, 06:30:05 AM
They are certainly looking like the real thing so far...

No way they miss the playoffs now...
#Ride?

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 01, 2018, 08:23:49 PM
Yep, I'll eat my words on my earlier prediction.  This is pretty incredible. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 01, 2018, 08:23:49 PM

Agreed. They're sitting pretty going into the second half of the season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 26, 2017, 07:59:10 PM
The Golden Showers will regress and miss the playoffs

I change my mind they are contenders

Jockitch

Last night's loss to the Blues was only the Knights 10th loss in regulation, plus have only 2 OT losses.   BEYOND BELIEF at this point.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

Moneyball?  Is that what we're seeing?  The results are greater than the sum of the parts?

Good coaching?  The players have obviously bought in.

Is it sustainable?  Can they ride this into the playoffs, and then what?  Is this team built to win in that situation?

I guess we will see...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

I think what we are seeing is that Vegas management did a great job identifying guys on each team who were being underutilized, and these guys how have an opportunity and they're taking full advantage of it.  Plus I hear the Vegas coach is very good as well. 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 05, 2018, 05:04:23 PM
I think what we are seeing is that Vegas management did a great job identifying guys on each team who were being underutilized, and these guys how have an opportunity and they're taking full advantage of it.  Plus I hear the Vegas coach is very good as well. 
course he?s a Gallant!

Jockitch

Another couple of wins ......... this season may become a Ripley's, Believe It or Not.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jockitch on January 08, 2018, 08:26:48 PM
Another couple of wins ......... this season may become a Ripley's, Believe It or Not.
looked like Neal hurt his hand bad interesting to see what happened there?

Chris1982

Will be interesting to see what happens come playoff time. 

gbill2004

Just imagine if Vegas won the Stanley Cup this season  :o

blue_or_die

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 09, 2018, 07:31:48 PM
Just imagine if Vegas won the Stanley Cup this season  :o

That would be almost as bad as a CFL expansion team coming in and making the Grey Cup in in their second year of existence, and winning it in their third, before the Bombers!
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 09, 2018, 08:18:31 PM
That would be almost as bad as a CFL expansion team coming in and making the Grey Cup in in their second year of existence, and winning it in their third, before the Bombers!

Boooooooo.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 09, 2018, 08:18:31 PM

I'd say it's worse. Much worse.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GCn19

I really don't think the LVGK will continue on like this. It's an aberration.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: GCn17 on January 10, 2018, 02:59:50 AM

I agree.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: GCn17 on January 10, 2018, 02:59:50 AM

That's what I thought about 15 games ago but they've lost, what twice, since then!!

I just don't get it.

blue_or_die

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 10, 2018, 05:36:01 PM
That's what I thought about 15 games ago but they've lost, what twice, since then!!

I just don't get it.

Yeah same here. There's only so many flukey games you can have.
#Ride?

The Zipp

No doubt this Vegas team is the story of the year in the NHL...expansion team legit fighting to be first place in the NHL with only about 30 games left is unbelievable.

gbill2004

Quote from: The Zipp on February 01, 2018, 06:58:05 PM
No doubt this Vegas team is the story of the year in the NHL...expansion team legit fighting to be first place in the NHL with only about 30 games left is unbelievable.
Bettman said that Seattle will get the same expansion draft rules when they join the league.  Will be interesting to see how the perform, compare do Vegas.

Chris1982

The best expansion team in NHL in the modern era has been the 1993 Florida Panthers who finished 33-34-17 (0.494).  The worst expansion team in NHL in the modern era has been the 1974 Washington Capitals who finished 8-67-5 (0.131).

The fact that there has never been an expansion team finish above 0.500, makes Vegas even more unbelievable. 

The Zipp

Wow. Sweep the first round of the playoffs... just incredible for an expansion team...

blue_or_die

Quote from: The Zipp on April 18, 2018, 05:17:27 AM
Wow. Sweep the first round of the playoffs... just incredible for an expansion team...

It's fun to go back and read the thread from the beginning. I wonder if they will make it out of Pacific, though?

Who am I kidding, it's the same question over and over and Vegas keeps answering.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: The Zipp on April 18, 2018, 05:17:27 AM

Without question. While I expected the Knights to win this series (the Kings are pretty lousy), I didn't expect a sweep.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

It is officially ridiculous what this team is doing!

Battle of the sweepers in the pacific VS Sharkies

The Zipp

Unbelievable....VGK moving on in the playoffs.  They have a legit shot at winning it all.  They will be a tough opponent. 

Stretch

Quote from: The Zipp on May 07, 2018, 02:16:03 AM
They will be a tough opponent. 

For sure. They have ZERO pressure on them since they've already done way better than anyone thought they would.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

blue_gold_84

This team continues to amaze as they rewrite the NHL history books.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

PloenFan

Should be an interesting Western Final, but hopefully we can beat them !

dd

blue_or_die

lol so at the beginning of this thread, we obviously all expected them to finish last. Now, we are playing them in the WCF. Wow, haha.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: dd on May 11, 2018, 05:07:06 AM
jets win this series in 5 games

Bold. I like it. Tall order and they'll need to be at their absolute best to dispatch the Knights in 5.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

bomb squad

This Vegas team is just confounding. I'll say the Jet's in 6 because I just think they're better. But they better be ready for a huge battle once again, because that's what they will get.

dd

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 11, 2018, 01:23:25 PM
Bold. I like it. Tall order and they'll need to be at their absolute best to dispatch the Knights in 5.
I look at tonights game and think jets in 4!!

We didn?t play that great and yet I never felt threatened like in the Nashville series.

It?s only 1 game, but the jets can and will play much better,  Vegas is in over their heads on this one.

theaardvark

The Jets did not play a good game, yet they easily handled the well rested Knights.  The Knights looked like an expansion team out there tonight.

We will clinch in Game 5 here at home.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

PloenFan

Fleury had a rough first period, but settled down after that.
Perhaps we shouldn't underestimate Vegas.
Our boys need to keep their foot on the gas and not take anything for granted.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on May 13, 2018, 04:15:34 AM
The Jets did not play a good game, yet they easily handled the well rested Knights.  The Knights looked like an expansion team out there tonight.

We will clinch in Game 5 here at home.

What?

theaardvark

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on May 13, 2018, 02:17:36 PM

What?

What what? 

They won, but they could have played a lot better... they missed a lot of open net chances, Wheeler skating past MAF and then sliding the puck across the crease on what should have been an easy goal. Too many times players had a loose puck and MAF out or position / on the ice. 

Just winning might be good for some, but most of us want them to play their best, every game.  Last night was not their best by a long shot. 

Pigskin

I think we played very well considering. We only had one day of rest and had to travel home to boot. The Jet's looked tired in the second period.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on May 13, 2018, 02:59:58 PM
What what? 

They won, but they could have played a lot better... they missed a lot of open net chances, Wheeler skating past MAF and then sliding the puck across the crease on what should have been an easy goal. Too many times players had a loose puck and MAF out or position / on the ice. 

Just winning might be good for some, but most of us want them to play their best, every game.  Last night was not their best by a long shot. 

Its hockey and its the playoffs. They just finished off 7 games with the best team in the NHL and had one day to rest.

If you dont have to play balls out then you dont.

theaardvark

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on May 13, 2018, 08:06:08 PM

Its hockey and its the playoffs. They just finished off 7 games with the best team in the NHL and had one day to rest.

If you dont have to play balls out then you dont.

Ummm.. yes you do.  You take your foot off the gas and you get hurt.  You always play full out.

Gotta love Maurice...

Paul Maurice to Patrik Laine: "You got to f***ing move your feet, kid." *Laine shoots and scores* Maurice: "Or do that."

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/995725085372661760

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on May 13, 2018, 08:35:24 PM
Ummm.. yes you do.  You take your foot off the gas and you get hurt.  You always play full out.

Gotta love Maurice...

Paul Maurice to Patrik Laine: "You got to f***ing move your feet, kid." *Laine shoots and scores* Maurice: "Or do that."

Playing defensive hockey isn't taking your foot off the gas. Last night was one of their best games since game 2 vs the Wild. They would be hard pressed to play better than they just did.

Maurice also wasn't talking to Laine in that clip

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on May 13, 2018, 08:35:24 PM

Gotta love Maurice...

No you dont. After a long hard 7 games with 1 day rest and facing a team with a different style of play and  you get up 3 you dont keep playing full out.

You shut it down and play a defence mode.

PloenFan

Watching the first game against Vegas, I wasn't as scared of scoring chances from their defencemen as in the Nashville series.

After comparing Nashville's and Vegas' regular season it looks as if Vegas' defencemen may not be as big of scoring threats as Nashville's:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014122018.html
Nashville's defencemen scored 56 goals in the regular season
Top defenceman goals: Subban 16, Josi 14, Ekholm 10

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0077762018.html
Vegas' defencemen scored 37 goals in the regular season
Top defenceman goals: Miller 10, Theodore 6, Schmidt, Engelland, McNabb 5

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: PloenFan on May 14, 2018, 01:18:02 AM
Watching the first game against Vegas, I wasn't as scared of scoring chances from their defencemen as in the Nashville series.

After comparing Nashville's and Vegas' regular season it looks as if Vegas' defencemen may not be as big of scoring threats as Nashville's:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014122018.html
Nashville's defencemen scored 56 goals in the regular season
Top defenceman goals: Subban 16, Josi 14, Ekholm 10

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0077762018.html
Vegas' defencemen scored 37 goals in the regular season
Top defenceman goals: Miller 10, Theodore 6, Schmidt, Engelland, McNabb 5

For sure.

It will be a whole different game then we just played.

I think The Jets played a smart game last night jumping up in score and then going into a more defence mode and getting a look at what Vegas does.

To win The Cup its all about playing smart hockey.

Pigskin

I thought we had more mental breakdown in the 2nd game. Bad line change, pinching D when he didn't need to.

blue_or_die

As they were able to demonstrate last night, Vegas is:

1) Good at capitalizing on opportunities (our mistakes), and;
2) Fully capable of playing shut down hockey. Like the Preds, only with a less skilled D core BUT a more clutch goalie.

Reminded me of Games 4 and 6 against Nash- establish a lead and hang on against everything we can throw their way.
#Ride?

bluengold204

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 15, 2018, 04:20:06 PM
As they were able to demonstrate last night, Vegas is:

1) Good at capitalizing on opportunities (our mistakes), and;
2) Fully capable of playing shut down hockey. Like the Preds, only with a less skilled D core BUT a more clutch goalie.

Reminded me of Games 4 and 6 against Nash- establish a lead and hang on against everything we can throw their way.

hmmmm I dunno about that

blue_or_die

Quote from: bluengold204 on May 15, 2018, 06:20:00 PM
hmmmm I dunno about that

Rinne is no slouch, but I would consider him a more overall well-carried, methodical, consistent, and technical goalie vs MAF who's sort of a "wildcard" and is likely to have an atrocious game followed by one where every bounce just goes his way.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bluengold204 on May 15, 2018, 06:20:00 PM
hmmmm I dunno about that

In this postseason, Fleury has been clutch for his team. The same can't be said for Rinne, who had a pretty lacklustre two rounds.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

bluengold204

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 15, 2018, 08:51:22 PM
In this postseason, Fleury has been clutch for his team. The same can't be said for Rinne, who had a pretty lacklustre two rounds.

Yeah after watching the third last night I stand corrected.

Pigskin

Fleury stood on his head. The Jet's came hard in the third period. Good games.

dd

He's been the difference, no doubt about it. Without him, vegas gets blown out the last 2 games, he stole them 2 wins for sure

Pigskin

The Jet's have out played Vegas in games 1,3,4. The flower has been amazing. However I think today will be a repeat of game 1.

The Zipp

Vegas has only lost 4 games so far in the playoffs.... gotta be the favs to win the cup

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on May 20, 2018, 09:39:44 PM
Vegas has only lost 4 games so far in the playoffs.... gotta be the favs to win the cup
Agree. They play a smart game and are getting Stanley Cup worthy goaltending from MAF

Pigskin

The Jet's had a great year and total got this city excited. However in the end they where not good enough. There young and will grow from the experience. I think in the end they just ran out of gas. I know they also have injuries, but who doesn't.

Better and more experience goal tending. Helly looked tired. Mason should have played a game or two.
Our 1st. line was better then there's, however our 2nd. just didn't play well in the 3rd. round. Tired, injured???
Say what you want Buff is the real deal, yes he's going to make mistakes, but the man had to be tired with amount of ice time he logged.
We look to have a lot of young talent, and Mason can get his game back and give Helly a rest during the year it will make a big difference in the playoffs.

Thank you Jet's for the great year. Now Go Bombers.

dd

Buff is the real deal, and the naysayers can chill the heck out. Players make mistakes, case in point, Morrissey on Vegas's 1st goal yesterday. Big deal, you take the good with the bad, and there's more good than bad, much more good!!