Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2019, 01:43:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 77
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 137449 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #1080 on: October 18, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »

I also remember Medlock talking about retiring last off season.  Would be great to hold on to him a bit longer, but it's a really personal decision and no amount of cheering on this fan forum may change his mind.  Hopefully he feels he has a few more good years in him.  Does it affect our ratio having an import kicker?  Of course.  But I don't want to go back to Hajrullahu who would routinely miss.  Other than the quarterback, the kicker has the biggest opportunity to add points to the scoreboard.  I want someone I know will add those points.  Medlock is that guy.

As for Dressler, who was also mentioned somewhere in this thread as a potential retiree...If he still wants to play, I'm happy keeping him on the Bomber roster.  Injuries notwithstanding, the guy is a true team player and can still be trusted to make the plays.  From being football-smart enough to divert that Redblacks DB into the uprights, to that catch last game for a TD, he's still got a lot left to offer the team.

Just my two cents Wink

I don't really think Medlock was considering retiring, I think he simply stated post season that he was "unsure" of his future and wasn't certain the Bombers really wanted him back, after what he considered a sub-par year.  What Medlock considers "sub-par" is still better than what 90% of the other kickers in the league can achieve, the Bombers are lucky to have him.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:18:10 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #1081 on: October 19, 2018, 01:16:42 AM »

I don't really think Medlock was considering retiring, I think he simply stated post season that he was "unsure" of his future and wasn't certain the Bombers really wanted him back, after what he considered a sub-par year.  What Medlock considers "sub-par" is still better than what 90% of the other kickers in the league can achieve, the Bombers are lucky to have him.

Is it though? Even this year, he's kind of in the middle of the pack.

And this is what people were bringing up last season, even if he's above league average, is it worth the record sum we're paying him?

My wife is amazing!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1082 on: October 19, 2018, 02:59:36 AM »

Medlock is worth keeping but it's an SMS question and a ratio question. IIRC he was considering retiring last year but did choose to stay and re-negotiated his contract. He's an expensive player and that may or may not end up to be an issue. It is worth a discussion.

Having an import kicker has made it more difficult to have that returner role as a DI. Of course if we find a National that could replace one of our DL or LB's we keep as a DI that might solve that issue.

So we need to find a kicker who can also return punts/kicks!  Wink Grin Grin
Blue In BC

« Reply #1083 on: October 19, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »

So we need to find a kicker who can also return punts/kicks!  Wink Grin Grin

Would be an interesting skill set. I'll have to think about players I've seen over the last 60 years and see if I can come up with one. It's not beyond the realm of possibilities.

Hmmm. Charlie Shepard was a top punter and FB for the Bombers. He did return some K/O's but not punts IIRC.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:29:14 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #1084 on: October 19, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »

Don't even go there....They say Lankford is our back-up punter so that was the "excuse" he was on the roster for a while....please don't give any scenarios where we have an avenue for keeping him!! lol
GCn18

« Reply #1085 on: October 19, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »

Is it though? Even this year, he's kind of in the middle of the pack.

And this is what people were bringing up last season, even if he's above league average, is it worth the record sum we're paying him?

If I had to pick one kicker to boot a 50 yarder it would be Medlock every time. Take a look at how some of these kickers are sheltered. Lewis Ward has been excellent but he has only has a handful over 40 and two from 45 or more. No attempts from 50+. Some coaches just don't bring out their kicker from 45+ anymore.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:38:29 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
gobombersgo

« Reply #1086 on: October 22, 2018, 09:23:58 PM »

Transactions Oct 22:

WPG ADD  NAT Geoff GRAY (OL)    Manitoba
WPG TRF TO INJURED NAT Geoff GRAY (OL)    Manitoba - to Nov-02

BOMBERS ADD WR LAWLER

October 22, 2018 -  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has added international receiver Kenny Lawler to the practice roster.

Lawler (6'2, 203, University of California, June 25, 1994 in Pomona, CA.) was recently released from the club's practice roster after originally joining the organization last month. He was selected in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks, spending time on their practice squad in 2016 and 2017. Lawler played three seasons with the California Golden Bears, catching 143 passes for 1706 yards and 27 touchdowns.

The team has also released international defensive end Patrick Choudja from the practice roster.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/10/22/bombers-add-wr-lawler/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:03:01 PM by gobombersgo » Logged

kkc60

« Reply #1087 on: October 22, 2018, 10:50:40 PM »

Transactions Oct 22:

WPG ADD  NAT Geoff GRAY (OL)    Manitoba
WPG TRF TO INJURED NAT Geoff GRAY (OL)    Manitoba - to Nov-02
Guess that answers the question of what would be done to make room for Gray
Ridermania

« Reply #1088 on: October 22, 2018, 11:22:56 PM »

This isn't a bad move by the Bombers.

No sense rushing him into the line-up.

Needs a full training camp next year and then game on!
gobombersgo

« Reply #1089 on: October 25, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »

Ed Tait   @EdTaitWFC
Just one change to the #Bombers 46-man roster this week, with DE Jackson Jeffcoat in for DE Gerald Rivers.

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
Team-issued depth/rosters as #Bombers host #Stampeders on Friday.

Jackson Jeffcoat - big - returns after missing 6 games.

Calgary is in injury trouble well beyond the receiving corps, as defenders Tre Roberson, Jameer Thurman, Derek Wiggan, and James Vaughters are also out.

Transactions Oct 25:
WPG ADD FROM INJURED INT Jackson JEFFCOAT (DL)    Texas
WPG TRF TO INJURED INT Gerald RIVERS (DE)    Mississippi - to Nov-02

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:28:41 PM by gobombersgo » Logged

gobombersgo

« Reply #1090 on: October 26, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »

Darren Cameron   @Darren_Cameron
#Bombers announce a roster change prior to tonight's game vs Calgary: National safety Taylor Loffler is out with an upper body injury, and has been moved to the one-game injured list. National running back Johnny Augustine has been activated from the practice roster.

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
Breaking: #Bombers announce a rare game-day roster change as Taylor Loffler is out (upper-body) and is moved to the 1 Game IL. Tailback Johnny Augustine takes his roster spot, and the new starting safety could be Jeff Hecht, Brendan Morgan, or Abu Conteh.

Jeff Hamilton   @jeffkhamilton
#Bombers announce that S Taylor Loffler has been ruled out for tonight's game agaisnt the Stamps. Loffler got banged up during Wednesday's closed practice and is likely to be replaced by Jeff Hecht, or by committee. RB Johnny Augustine draws into the game. #wfp

Transactions Oct 26:
WPG ADD  NAT Johnny AUGUSTINE (RB)    Guelph - from practice roster
WPG TRF TO INJURED NAT Taylor LOFFLER (DB)    UBC - to Nov-02

WPG Blue Bombers   @Wpg_BlueBombers
Tonight's @RedRiverMutual starting lineup.
Inactives: #6 Washington, #19 Wilson

Calgary Stampeders   @calstampeders
Today's inactives: OL Ryan Sceviour and RB Terry Williams.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:26:39 PM by gobombersgo » Logged

gobombersgo

« Reply #1091 on: October 30, 2018, 09:14:34 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Transactions - October 30, 2018

WINNIPEG, MB., October 30, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has released international defensive tackle Cory Johnson from the practice roster.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has signed international defensive end Patrick Choudja and national linebacker Jacob Firlotte.

Choudja
(6'3, 263, Nevada, April 11, 1996 in Oakley, CA) played four seasons with the Nevada Wolfpack, totalling 93 tackles, four and a half sacks and four forced fumbles in 50 games. Choudja signed with the San Francisco 49ers as an undrafted free agent in 2018 and spent time on the Bombers? practice roster earlier this season.

Firlotte (6'3, 216, Queen's University, May 29, 1996 in Abbotsford, BC) was selected 58th overall in the 2018 CFL Draft by the Blue Bombers. He spent four seasons with the Queen's Gaels, playing in 30 games. Firlotte recorded 49 solo tackles and 3 interceptions in his career at Queen's.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/10/30/bombers-add-practice-roster-4/

gobombersgo

« Reply #1092 on: October 30, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »

Transactions Oct 30:

WPG ADD  INT Chris HUMES (DB)    Arkansas State - added from practice roster
WPG ADD  INT Charles NELSON (WR)    Oregon  - added from practice roster
WPG ADD  NAT Cody SPELLER (OL)    McMaster - added from practice roster
WPG ADD FROM INJURED INT Gerald RIVERS (DE)    Mississippi
WPG DEL  INT Gerald RIVERS (DE)    Mississippi  - added to practice roster
WPG DEL  INT Kyrie WILSON (LB)    Fresno State  - added to practice roster
WPG EXT ON INJURED INT Manase FOKETI (OL)    West Texas A&M - to Nov-26^^
WPG EXT ON INJURED NAT Frank RENAUD  (LB)    Windsor - to Nov-26^^
WPG TRF TO INJURED NAT Sukh CHUNGH (OL)    Calgary - to Nov-10
WPG TRF TO INJURED NAT Abubakar CONTEH  (DB)    Grambling State - to Nov-10
WPG ADD  INT Patrick CHOUDJA (DL)    Nevada - added to practice
WPG ADD  NAT Jacob FIRLOTTE  (DB)    Queen's - added to practice roster
WPG REM UNS  INT Cory JOHNSON (DL)    Kentucky  - deleted from practice roster

theaardvark

« Reply #1093 on: October 30, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »

So, Speller in at OG.  More reason for Nichols to sit... no dis on Speller, but you don't want to risk your QB on a missed tackle... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #1094 on: October 30, 2018, 10:01:34 PM »

Does this mean Speller has past Spooner?  Sukh missing his first game ever....I think.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 77
  Print  

Jump to: