Blue Bombers Forum
September 18, 2019, 11:57:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 77
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 142264 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #1065 on: October 18, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »

I could see the bombers letting Lafrance, Wild, Leggett, and Couture go. Medlock and Dressler retire.

By now most of these players will have received and offer, some many have a verbal agreement just like Hardrick, a few might have already told the bombers there not interested in returning.

Guy's like Briggs, Miles, Miller, Gauthier, Thomas, Corney and Remple just need a small bump and they will be here for a couple more years.

Nevis, Ok, Bighill Santos-Knox, Hardrick, Goossen, Chungh, Bryant, Demski, Wol82, Alexander, need to be signed.

I had to dig to find this post but I wasn't going to let it slide.  Medlock is winding down but he should be able to punt and kick well for many years to come, the Bombers are perfectly positioned to hold onto him for the remainder of his career, all they need to do is to continue to show him some love and they could get 3-5 more years out of his leg.  With the arrival of Bighill, Medlock has probably dropped to the 3rd most important player on this team behind Nichols, he performs his duties very well and is amazingly reliable.  I think he is well worth holding onto for a few more years at least.
Blue In BC

« Reply #1066 on: October 18, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »

Medlock is worth keeping but it's an SMS question and a ratio question. IIRC he was considering retiring last year but did choose to stay and re-negotiated his contract. He's an expensive player and that may or may not end up to be an issue. It is worth a discussion.

Having an import kicker has made it more difficult to have that returner role as a DI. Of course if we find a National that could replace one of our DL or LB's we keep as a DI that might solve that issue.

We keep an extra DB as a DI but for us Fogg is both the starter and the returner. That's not optimum.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #1067 on: October 18, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »

I'm talking about when he first came here. He left to play with his brother. I struggle to see what's wrong with that. But then again, you have no issue unreasonably criticizing ex-players whom you know nothing about. Real shows how classy you are

He went to Mtl to play with his brother?  I think he had 250,000 other reasons...  he got a great deal and good on him for taking it. 

If you think that money wasn't a big factor in signing Bighill, Fenner, Roh etc than you are mistaken. I agree that our culture helped tip us over the edge past other suitors but make no mistake none of them came at a discount.

Pretty sure we got them at or below market value, so yeah, a discount.  We may have spent big money on those players, but I'm pretty sure they could have gotten more elsewhere...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #1068 on: October 18, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »

I had to dig to find this post but I wasn't going to let it slide.  Medlock is winding down but he should be able to punt and kick well for many years to come, the Bombers are perfectly positioned to hold onto him for the remainder of his career, all they need to do is to continue to show him some love and they could get 3-5 more years out of his leg.  With the arrival of Bighill, Medlock has probably dropped to the 3rd most important player on this team behind Nichols, he performs his duties very well and is amazingly reliable.  I think he is well worth holding onto for a few more years at least.
I agree. That being said, I thought he was close to retiring last offseason but came back for one more shot at a ring
kkc60

« Reply #1069 on: October 18, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »

He went to Mtl to play with his brother?  I think he had 250,000 other reasons...  he got a great deal and good on him for taking it. 

Pretty sure we got them at or below market value, so yeah, a discount.  We may have spent big money on those players, but I'm pretty sure they could have gotten more elsewhere...
The money on Westerman really wasn't too far off. Dunk reported Westerman would make 218000 plus bonuses if he played 6 games while we offered him 190000 plus bonuses. Really the drop off isnt too steep. I wouldn't say he cashed himself outta winnipeg for 28000.

Why is it suddenly Roh was a highly sought after FA? I havent heard anything about a bidding war for him. Just cuz you make a good FA signing doesn't mean there was a bidding war. As for Fenner, I believe we are paying him around 130k per year. I have a hard time finding that as a bargain or any sort of pay decrease.
GCn19

« Reply #1070 on: October 18, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »

The money on Westerman really wasn't too far off. Dunk reported Westerman would make 218000 plus bonuses if he played 6 games while we offered him 190000 plus bonuses. Really the drop off isnt too steep. I wouldn't say he cashed himself outta winnipeg for 28000.

Why is it suddenly Roh was a highly sought after FA? I havent heard anything about a bidding war for him. Just cuz you make a good FA signing doesn't mean there was a bidding war. As for Fenner, I believe we are paying him around 130k per year. I have a hard time finding that as a bargain or any sort of pay decrease.

I would bet big dollars we paid market value for Bighill too...and yea...Roh was not in demand at all. Fenner was but there is no indication we weren't the highest bidder for him.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:29:28 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #1071 on: October 18, 2018, 05:30:21 PM »

I would bet big dollars we paid market value for Bighill too.

Pretty sure we got Biggie at what has worked out to be a bargain price, would have been much higher had more people been in on the bidding, maybe, but no one has said we paid too much for Biggie.  And again, I said market value or below, whereas Reed bought Westerman and others at well above market, which was the point. 

No one has said the Westerman signing was good value.  $28k=15% more, and we don't know what bonuses / upfront money add to that.   That is how NOT to sign a FA, especially when you have the "come play with your brother" card in your hand... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gobombersgo

« Reply #1072 on: October 18, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »

It's been reported Biggie was signed for 175 000. That's a bargain.

GCn19

« Reply #1073 on: October 18, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »

I'd disagree about the not at any price comment. Certainly not for an outrageous salary but as a National he'd still be an asset for a reasonable price as a back up.

At a reasonable price we would have signed him this year. Montreal gave him a ton of cheese. If he is a SMS casualty and released this offseason and is willing to play for half his current rate I would bring him back.

theaardvark

« Reply #1074 on: October 18, 2018, 06:19:07 PM »

At a reasonable price we would have signed him this year. Montreal gave him a ton of cheese. If he is a SMS casualty and released this offseason and is willing to play for half his current rate I would bring him back.

$110k plus bonuses?  For a guy coming off a second season ending injury?  Who didn't really stand out at all this year?  When we really don't have a ratio issue, and a plethora of good DE's we are going to have to decide on anyway?  And the RTP and offside issue? 

Hard pass.

GCn19

« Reply #1075 on: October 18, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »

$110k plus bonuses?  For a guy coming off a second season ending injury?  Who didn't really stand out at all this year?  When we really don't have a ratio issue, and a plethora of good DE's we are going to have to decide on anyway?  And the RTP and offside issue? 

Hard pass.

Which is why I'm glad you are not a gm.

GCn19

« Reply #1076 on: October 18, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »

It's been reported Biggie was signed for 175 000. That's a bargain.

It's fair market value at the time. If we get him back for the same amount...that's a bargain.

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #1077 on: October 18, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »

I think Westerman's best days are behind him but to get him for ~$110k wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I don't think he signs for anywhere near that amount, though.

And that's all predicated on his being released by the Ti-Cats, anyway.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
blue newt

« Reply #1078 on: October 18, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »

I also remember Medlock talking about retiring last off season.  Would be great to hold on to him a bit longer, but it's a really personal decision and no amount of cheering on this fan forum may change his mind.  Hopefully he feels he has a few more good years in him.  Does it affect our ratio having an import kicker?  Of course.  But I don't want to go back to Hajrullahu who would routinely miss.  Other than the quarterback, the kicker has the biggest opportunity to add points to the scoreboard.  I want someone I know will add those points.  Medlock is that guy.

As for Dressler, who was also mentioned somewhere in this thread as a potential retiree...If he still wants to play, I'm happy keeping him on the Bomber roster.  Injuries notwithstanding, the guy is a true team player and can still be trusted to make the plays.  From being football-smart enough to divert that Redblacks DB into the uprights, to that catch last game for a TD, he's still got a lot left to offer the team.

Just my two cents Wink
Jesse

« Reply #1079 on: October 18, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »

It's fair market value at the time. If we get him back for the same amount...that's a bargain.

Exactly. He became available late and only so many teams could afford the SMS for him.

He's getting a hefty raise next year as teams will adjust their budgets for a player like him.

My wife is amazing!
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 77
  Print  

Jump to: