Blue Bombers Forum
December 14, 2018, 07:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 77
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 80259 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »

Thomas has an undersized frame for a DT, he has to pack on some extra pounds if he is even going to have a chance in the middle.  Even carrying extra weight, he's playing at 276 lbs against 300 lb OL.   IMHO, he has made the absolute most of the physical attributes he was given.   As a fourth round pick, he has been absolute gold for us.

But at the end of the day, he is at his ceiling.  And we have Ekakitie, who has greater physical tools, scheduled to earn more money this year and more the year after.  Something had to give.... 

Ettore Lattanzio, 6'0, 252lbs managed 24 tackles and 5 sacks in 2016 in Ottawa.  Jerome Heywood, 5'8, 285lbs was a solid contributor at DT for 7 years in the CFL, including 2 hilarious years lining up beside Doug Brown, who was a full foot taller.

Yes, size, frame, weight all contribute to a players' ability to perform at a position, but technique, heart, motor all figure into it as well.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »

Ettore Lattanzio, 6'0, 252lbs managed 24 tackles and 5 sacks in 2016 in Ottawa.  Jerome Heywood, 5'8, 285lbs was a solid contributor at DT for 7 years in the CFL, including 2 hilarious years lining up beside Doug Brown, who was a full foot taller.

Yes, size, frame, weight all contribute to a players' ability to perform at a position, but technique, heart, motor all figure into it as well.

It can be argued that it also depends on who plays beside them.
Haywood has Big Brown who gets double teamed most of the time.
Lattanzio has Evans who has a breakout year last year
Another guy is HAM?s Whitlock who is only 5.10 250 he?s a speedy guy but have big Laurent playing beside him.

With their speed they can probably win their one on one battles but it requires the other guy from the DL to draw the double team.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:15:25 PM by M.O.A.B. » Logged
the paw

« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2018, 07:18:23 PM »

Not sure of your point, but Lattanzio dropped to 16 tackles and no sacks last year.  In fact, if you average the last 2 years, Lattanzio and Thomas have identical production.  I don?t think Lattanzio is a full time starter either.

Anyway, I don?t disagree that heart, motor, hustle make a difference.  In fact, those are the attributes that have allowed Thomas to have a CFL career.  But even with his hustle, his physical attributes define a ceiling and the sample size is large enough that we know where that ceiling is.

Ekakitie is younger and has better physical gifts.  He has more upside, although that now has to be realized.

Thomas was one of my favourite Bombers, but like the man says ?better is better?.

grab grass 'n growl
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #363 on: March 11, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »

Crazy once upon a time a prototypical DT would have been 6'0-6'3 and 300-350 lbs. You could get the odd freak of nature at 6'8 310 lbs. But now with so many teams in the CFL and NFL passing more frequently DT's need to be more mobile. This leads to the mentality that a 275-300 lb DT is ok now. Don't believe me? NFL defensive player of the year Aaron Donald is only 6'1 285. Donald averages almost 10 sacks a year from the DT position something you rarely here is a DT getting double digits in sacks.
This brings me to guys like Jake Thomas 6'2 276 lbs. I think Thomas did exactly what was expected of him. He's not a guy that plays 100% of the snaps but he's been a guy thats capable of playing 14-18 games per year every year. Comparing him to guys that are in the same style of role, meaning guys that aren't star DT that play every snap. Thomas is just as good as and DT in the CFL. I would honestly take him over a guy like Turner Jr who was the same size but an american injury prone DT.
I actually hope FatBoi comes back to us. I'd love to see him push Ekakite into the starting role.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
theaardvark

« Reply #364 on: March 11, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »

Crazy once upon a time a prototypical DT would have been 6'0-6'3 and 300-350 lbs. You could get the odd freak of nature at 6'8 310 lbs. But now with so many teams in the CFL and NFL passing more frequently DT's need to be more mobile. This leads to the mentality that a 275-300 lb DT is ok now. Don't believe me? NFL defensive player of the year Aaron Donald is only 6'1 285. Donald averages almost 10 sacks a year from the DT position something you rarely here is a DT getting double digits in sacks.
This brings me to guys like Jake Thomas 6'2 276 lbs. I think Thomas did exactly what was expected of him. He's not a guy that plays 100% of the snaps but he's been a guy thats capable of playing 14-18 games per year every year. Comparing him to guys that are in the same style of role, meaning guys that aren't star DT that play every snap. Thomas is just as good as and DT in the CFL. I would honestly take him over a guy like Turner Jr who was the same size but an american injury prone DT.
I actually hope FatBoi comes back to us. I'd love to see him push Ekakite into the starting role.

Brown played 14 years of pro ball at DT at 6'8, 290...  "Big Bird" used wingspan very effectively...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
DM83

« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2018, 09:15:17 PM »

Once upon a time.?m DTs 350 PDs? In the CFL?  Huh? Hardly!
bluebeard

« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »

That does nothing to help the ratio, they need another good Canuck, like Eddie Steele.
Steele signs back with the Riders.
gobombersgo

« Reply #367 on: March 22, 2018, 12:11:08 AM »

March 15th - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International wide receiver A.J. Coney.

Coney (5`8, 180, University of Akron, December 30, 1994 in Orlando, FL) played three seasons for the Akron Zips after playing his freshman year at Weber State. In his three seasons at Akron, he made 69 receptions for 849 total yards and four touchdowns including being named team offensive MVP in his senior season.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/03/15/bombers-sign-receiver-j-coney/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:13:57 AM by gobombersgo » Logged

gobombersgo

« Reply #368 on: March 22, 2018, 12:17:35 AM »

March 19, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International defensive back/linebacker Cody Prewitt and international defensive back Kevin Short.

Prewitt (6`2, 208, Mississippi, December 31, 1992 in Covington, LA) played four seasons with the Ole Miss Rebels recording 247 total tackles and 12 interceptions in his collegiate career. In 2013, he led the SEC with six interceptions and was named a first team All-American. He signed with the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent in 2015, but was released before the start of the season.

Short (6`2, 185, Fort Scott Community College, March 23, 1992 in Florissant, MO) played two seasons for the Fort Scott Greyhounds recording 76 total tackles and breaking the school record with 10 interceptions. He signed with the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent in 2015, but was waived before the season. Since then he`s been signed to the practice squads of the Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets, and Los Angeles Rams.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/03/19/bombers-add-two-roster-2/

gobombersgo

« Reply #369 on: March 22, 2018, 12:41:01 AM »

It`s been reported that Andrew Harris will make about $195,000 this season.

Bombers won`t pay Henoc more than Andrew Harris: GM
March 20, 2018

Winnipeg Blue Bombers general manager Kyle Walters says he does not expect to get a deal done with Canadian linebacker Henoc Muamba.

Walters met with the Winnipeg media on Tuesday and said that the slow pace of negotiations - a hallmark of Muamba`s agent Jonathon Hardaway - and the steep asking price have led him to believe that the 29-year-old will take his talents elsewhere.

`Henoc and his agent have a track record of prolonging these things. They do their due diligence, it`s not a negative. They take their time and they will certainly look to maximize their value. That`s just their track record,` Walters told the media in Winnipeg Tuesday.

The Bombers wined and dined Muamba in late February. Muamba was drafted No. 1 overall in 2011 by the blue and gold.

`We brought Henoc out here three weeks ago, showed him our organization, told him what we were about - thought it went very well. It was our understanding that they were going to have a decision within 48 hours after returning from the visit.`

Muamba made a career-high 92 tackles earning him CFL all-star status in 2013 before leaving for the NFL. But Winnipeg head coach Mike O`Shea said `it`s a little premature yet to pencil him in` after Muamba visited the Manitoba capital.

`We presented an offer prior to Henoc coming out. We were prepared to make Henoc the second highest paid Canadian on our team and what we deemed as fair,` Walters said.

`We were certainly not prepared to offer Henoc Muamba a contract higher than Andrew Harris (set to make just under $200,000 for 2018), which is what they were asking for and it was not going to happen from our end for a multitude of reasons. We`ve been told that the offer that we put together was not going to get the job done. So Henoc won`t be coming here based on the communication that I`ve had.`

After returning north of the border from the NFL in 2015, Muamba signed a lucrative two-year deal with Montreal where he played four games in 2016. Then-general manager Jim Popp shopped Muamba prior to a $55,000 bonus that was due on Feb. 16, 2016 before releasing him that winter. Saskatchewan, one of the teams that considered trading for Muamba, signed him six months later following a stint with the Dallas Cowboys. Following two seasons in Saskatchewan, the Riders put Muamba on the trade block in mid-February, but, when no deal was consummated, the 28-year-old became a free agent after the Riders released him before an off-season payment that was due on February 15.

Last season Muamba had his best year since the CFL all-star campaign he put together in 2013. He played in 17 games and recorded 82 tackles, three forced fumbles, and two interceptions to earn the Riders? Most Outstanding Canadian award.

With Winnipeg unwilling to sweeten their offer, the Montreal Alouettes - badly in need of Canadian talent - become the front runners for Muamba`s services.

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/20/gm-kyle-walters-says-henoc-muamba-wont-be-coming-to-bombers/

What the Argos are offering James Wilder Jr.

March 1, 2018

The Toronto Argonauts are reportedly offering running back James Wilder Jr. a contract extension that would make him `one of the highest paid running backs` in the CFL.

That phrasing seems ambiguous, so we`ll do the work.

Canadian Andrew Harris is set to make just under $200,000 with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2018, making him the highest paid ball-carrier in the CFL. Given his status as a ratio-breaker and his consistently excellent production, that makes sense. Alouettes running back Tyrell Sutton checks in at $120,000, Jerome Messam $110,000 and C.J. Gable just under $100,000.

Wilder`s new contract offer from the Argos is around $100,000 but it does not include a signing bonus. By comparison, Harris is due $60,000 in off-season money, Sutton received a $36,000 signing bonus while a number of the others have a roster payment or got upfront money when they signed their new deals including Gable ($30,000) Messam ($20,000) Jeremiah Johnson ($18,000) and William Powell ($15,000.) That signing bonus is beneficial for American players because it is taxed at a lower rate, which is why Gable took a larger payment upon signing than hard money elsewhere.

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/01/what-the-argos-are-offering-james-wilder-jr/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:46:32 AM by gobombersgo » Logged

gobombersgo

« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »

April 3, 2018 -  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International defensive back Malik Foreman.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/04/03/bombers-add-defensive-back-malik-foreman/

thunderNlightning

« Reply #371 on: April 09, 2018, 12:01:32 PM »

April 3, 2018 -  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International defensive back Malik Foreman.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/04/03/bombers-add-defensive-back-malik-foreman/

What does that bring, 80 players to camp that are DB's now? We sure seem to like bringing in a lot of guys to those positions.
gbill2004

« Reply #372 on: April 09, 2018, 12:05:26 PM »

What does that bring, 80 players to camp that are DB's now? We sure seem to like bringing in a lot of guys to those positions.
They probably identified DB as a problem area from last year. 
Chris1982
« Reply #373 on: April 09, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »

Another example would be Geno Atkins - used to be one of the best DT in the NFL and he is only 6-1, 295.
Blue In BC

« Reply #374 on: April 09, 2018, 01:44:09 PM »

I think we're at about 24 at the moment including the NI's. There will be some released after the mini camp.

However a team needs DB's & receivers to give the QB's practice reps in TC. Generally a few receivers or DB's come up limping in the early days as well.

So I'd expect maybe 16 or so receivers and DB's in the main TC roster.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 77
  Print  

Jump to: