Blue Bombers Forum
January 16, 2018, 12:22:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 9159 times)
TBURGESS

« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »

Bond is a great player, but his birth certificate works against him for me. I'd rather go with 3 NI OL than 2 NI OL and Hurl at MLB. If we sign Westerman and Thomas, then we could get away without Hurl at MLB, but then we won't have the cash for Bond.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »

I think it's funny to have Westerman as an at the right price and Thomas as a must sign.

Need back:

Randle
Heath
Westerman

Back at the right price:

Thomas
Leggett
Fogg
Hurl (As a special teamer/backup)

Rest:
Time to move on.

I agree with the list. At the moment most teams have top DB's as potential free agents. So yes there could be interest in Heath or Randle. It will depend on which players reach free agency and move first. If one or two move then a domino effect is created.

In theory I think most of the potential free agent DB's stay put. We'll offer Heath and Randle fair contracts IMO and retain their services. I would like to be one of the teams that signs another teams top DB in free agency to improve our secondary beyond our own two top guys.

Westerman is a different issue with his passport. He might be more difficult to sign even with a fair contract. He likes it here so we have the edge in retaining him. I'll feel much better once we get his name on a new deal though.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »

I think it's funny to have Westerman as an at the right price and Thomas as a must sign.

Thomas is a very important part of the D, and shouldn't carry the kind of premium that Westerman might.  But sure, all of the signings are essentially at the right price, although certain ones (Randle, Leggett) I'd be willing to overspend the budget on... a little... Wink

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn17

« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »

Thomas is a very important part of the D, and shouldn't carry the kind of premium that Westerman might.  But sure, all of the signings are essentially at the right price, although certain ones (Randle, Leggett) I'd be willing to overspend the budget on... a little... Wink

I like Thomas...but no he's not. He's a situational NAT player. He gets a dozen defensive reps a game and performs well while in there, but he is easily replaceable.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:02:08 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Jesse

« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:43 PM »

I like Thomas...but no he's not.

I guess it's to kill another thread going around and around with aards on this one.
GCn17

« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2018, 05:02:36 PM »

I guess it's to kill another thread going around and around with aards on this one.

Hope not.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
blue girl

« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »

I say that we must sign Randle, Heath and Leggett and if possible Westerman. I did have Bond as a must sign but I changed my mind on that. The rest I don't care one way or the other.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »

I like Thomas...but no he's not. He's a situational NAT player. He gets a dozen defensive reps a game and performs well while in there, but he is easily replaceable.

They have to sign at least one of Thomas or Westerman or their D-line ratio is screwed.  They already have Oko and Jeffcoat so I suspect it'll be easier and cheaper to retain Thomas.

Edit:Forgot about Ekakitie but not sure if he's ready yet.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:34:19 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
gbill2004

« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

They have to sign at least one of Thomas or Westerman or their D-line ratio is screwed.  They already have Oko and Jeffcoat so I suspect it'll be easier and cheaper to retain Thomas.
Or they may have decided to go with Ekakitie and a cheap backup this season like Butcher or that other guy they had on the roster for a few games. 
booch

« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2018, 07:42:05 PM »

going cheaper is workign backwards and why you don't get over the hump.
Cheaper is going with Ekakite and Corney on their existing contracts for National rotation and sign Westerman using part of Thomas last years salary to fluff Westerman's...and remainder of Thomas salary goes toward a national draft pick if one makes the roster in 2018, or another role player who is national in free agency to replace Thomas...or just roster a guy who was on and off last year...Drew..Renaud..Conteh...Branning...heck maybe even Marouf...options are there to be had
gobombersgo

« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2018, 08:14:24 PM »

I'm not saying Thomas is a must sign but he's on the field more than 20 percent of the defensive snaps. I think it's closer to 50 percent than 20.

booch

« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »

and truthfully...closer to 50 isn't a thing you would want
theaardvark

« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2018, 08:38:05 PM »

Or they may have decided to go with Ekakitie and a cheap backup this season like Butcher or that other guy they had on the roster for a few games. 

Marouf... who is on the roster now...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gobombersgo

« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »

I don't know about that. He was released from the practice roster and his re-signing was never announced. They might have just forgot to remove him from the roster page on their website.

gbill2004

« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »

Him too, but I was thinking of Brandon Tennent. 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
  Print  

Jump to: