Blue Bombers Forum
June 19, 2018, 11:15:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Great drafting Winnipeg!  (Read 2288 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2018, 12:58:32 PM »

Was there ever any attempt to flip him to the Oline?  If he is a run stuffer, that sounds like it would translate well..  Greaves had a decent career after switching over...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »

Never mind Gray, Speller and Spooner both are coming along nicely.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »

Was there ever any attempt to flip him to the Oline?  If he is a run stuffer, that sounds like it would translate well..  Greaves had a decent career after switching over...

I doubt it. If Ekakitie was going to be a project as a DT, it would've been the same on the O-line and he'd have been behind others just the same with absolutely zero experience.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
the paw

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2018, 01:28:17 PM »

apples and oranges.  Greaves is 4-5 inches taller, with a greater wingspan to boot.  He was also a sixth round pick who spent a full year on the PR and another year as sixth man, until he developed into a serviceable OL.  His contract as a sixth round pick was low enough they could wait around for him to possibly develop. 

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »

Montreal signed Ekakitie. 
bunker

« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »

The assessments I read virtually all commented that he had all the tools to develop into a CFL starter, and was among one of the more pro ready prospects in the pool that was not garnering NFL interest. Walters was not alone in his assessment.

Calgary and Saskatchewan recently wiffed on a first round picks as well.

Even in the NHL, with all their scouts, testing etc..., first overall picks fail, and 7th round picks become top 10 players on teams. Its an inexact science.

I'm not happy he's a bust, but seen in the context of Walter's whole body of work drafting, I think he's still done a good job.

gbill2004

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »

The assessments I read virtually all commented that he had all the tools to develop into a CFL starter, and was among one of the more pro ready prospects in the pool that was not garnering NFL interest. Walters was not alone in his assessment.

Calgary and Saskatchewan recently wiffed on a first round picks as well.

Even in the NHL, with all their scouts, testing etc..., first overall picks fail, and 7th round picks become top 10 players on teams. Its an inexact science.

I'm not happy he's a bust, but seen in the context of Walter's whole body of work drafting, I think he's still done a good job.

Overall I'm happy with his drafting too.  But he doe shave a few busts now...Ekakitie, Waggoner and Richards. 
booch

« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2018, 03:01:28 PM »

I wouldn't call Waggoner a bust...very solid teams player and had some limited reps on defense his first 2 years.
Last year...who knows where he would have progressed to if he choose not to retire to sell water.

He original was a player signed as an Import by B.C and when it was determined he had non-import status they signing was negated by league and he entered supplemental draft...the guy had talent and skills there no denying that
gbill2004

« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »

I wouldn't call Waggoner a bust...very solid teams player and had some limited reps on defense his first 2 years.
Last year...who knows where he would have progressed to if he choose not to retire to sell water.

He original was a player signed as an Import by B.C and when it was determined he had non-import status they signing was negated by league and he entered supplemental draft...the guy had talent and skills there no denying that
Waggoner was definitely trending towards being a bust, if he wasn't one already.  Walters gave up the first overall pick to select him in the supplementary draft, and I'd think you would expect more than a solid teams player with the first overall pick.  IIRC, Briggs was getting reps on D ahead of Waggoner. 

Ekakitie has talent and skills too...
bunker

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »

Overall I'm happy with his drafting too.  But he doe shave a few busts now...Ekakitie, Waggoner and Richards. 

Those  3 were definitely busts, although Richards was a second rounder. And although we did not draft Demski, we made Saskatchewan pay him and develop him for a few years, and got him back now that he is hopefully more pro ready  Cheesy)

Along with the busts though, Walters has rebuilt our Canadian content on the O-line through the draft  with Chungh, Goosen, Spooner, and Couture, where its looking like we are a good bet to have a solid 3 NI O-line for a number of years (maybe even 4 if Gray comes back). He has also drafted an all-star canadian safety, and our crew of NI receivers looks promising. There are also the depth and special teams players (Briggs, Jones). And he probably drafted a very good CFL kicker, but unfortunately, we were not in a situation to develop him because of Medlock, and lost him to Ottawa.

If you look at the numbers, the odds that a first round pick becomes a regular starter is only about 50/50. I'd say for 4 years work, he's done very well.
theaardvark

« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »

Montreal signed Ekakitie. 

I guess Westerman gave him a recommend...  Reed is going all in on Nat DLine...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2018, 03:19:43 PM »

I guess Westerman gave him a recommend...  Reed is going all in on Nat DLine...
Montreal has some very respectable Canadian talent. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: