Blue Bombers Forum
August 17, 2018, 03:06:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Power Rankings  (Read 4996 times)
TheHypnotoad

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2018, 04:32:53 PM »

Equating the Bombers and Esks due to their identical 5-3 record is disingenuous. Starting the season with a raw rookie QB for 3 games, one of which was a close last minute loss to said Eskimos, should be factored in if we're talking records. We might have identical records, but the hierarchy of 5-3 teams is clearly Winnipeg>Edmonton>Ottawa.

Calgary's the clear #1 team in the league, Winnipeg is the clear #2 team in the league.   
the paw

« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »

Aren't power rankings are based on week-to-week performances?

The Eskimos just lost pretty convincingly to the Lions. The Bombers won. Unless the power rankings are based more on record than current streak, having the latter below the former doesn't make sense.

I think power rankings are based on "fuzzy logic", they don't boil down to a strict formula.  Who beat who is only one factor, current streaks is another, key injuries is another, etc.  I think in this case, the author probably feels that with identical records, the Bombers will have to beat EDM to move ahead of them.  If we beat Ottawa and the Esks lose one, then that would probably do it as well.

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »

I think power rankings are based on "fuzzy logic", they don't boil down to a strict formula.  Who beat who is only one factor, current streaks is another, key injuries is another, etc.  I think in this case, the author probably feels that with identical records, the Bombers will have to beat EDM to move ahead of them.  If we beat Ottawa and the Esks lose one, then that would probably do it as well.
Power rankings are just one persons opinion.  But they do create for some good discussion. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »

Very happy to be 5 - 3 at this point of the season after not having Nichols for the 1st 3 games.

Obviously we're in the top 3 and could easily argue we're the 2nd best team in the CFL.

No more excuses.
bomb squad

« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »

This American site seems to have a better grasp of the logic involved:

https://thegruelingtruth.net/football/cfl/cfl-power-rankings-week-10/

Except for Sask ahead of BC.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  

Jump to: