Blue Bombers Forum
August 17, 2018, 03:05:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tempo Offence?  (Read 674 times)
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »

Our offence somehow is still in need of a Milt Stegall type receiver imho.

Not really. Nichols simply had to be better with the deep ball on Friday.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
booch

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 12:11:08 PM »

To give a bit of slack to Nichols...the one deep shot to Tompkins where they called the PI...If he wasn't held up a bit and thrown off his route he catches that ball in stride for the TD

gbill2004

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »

To give a bit of slack to Nichols...the one deep shot to Tompkins where they called the PI...If he wasn't held up a bit and thrown off his route he catches that ball in stride for the TD
Looked to me like Thompkins could have ran a bit faster on that one...didn't look like he was running at his top gear. 
booch

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »

thing is he was running to time the ball...if he would have been full burners mid route he would have over ran it...so that bump by the db was enough. That play happened righ in from of where I was sitting and as soon as ball hit its high point I said TD...But then the PI screwed it up.

That's also a good indicator in a receiver in their ability to track a ball and put themselves in the best position to get in in stride...or where they are able to make a play..Tompkins has that skill from what I seen through camp and in the games this season..
rubanski

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »

Were we running tempo primarily when we had a defensive personnel package we were trying to exploit? Teams may have stopped putting certain groups on the field against us (such as an extra d-lineman for an exotic blitz or a run stop) ??
gbill2004

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »

Were we running tempo primarily when we had a defensive personnel package we were trying to exploit? Teams may have stopped putting certain groups on the field against us (such as an extra d-lineman for an exotic blitz or a run stop) ??
Another interesting theory.  Thanks.  I'll have to keep a look out for that. 
GCn18

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »

Are you suggesting that teams have fielded 5 DL against us at times? I ask because I have never seen that happen. Tempo is usually run to keep defences in their last formation, to gas a defence and prevent substitution, or to force them into vanilla defences and not based on individual personnel matchups unless we are trying to keep a short yardage defence trapped on the field. For instance, when playing a team with a DC like Jones we may dial it up a bit in order to keep his defensive playbook in his pocket.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:06:07 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn18

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 03:58:35 PM »

I noticed the tempo offence being used less, as well. It's curious, unless as some have mentioned, that other teams will fake injuries (ie: Sask game) to disrupt the flow. Or are more opposing teams using timeouts in these situations?

There is a very simple reason we are not running the tempo offence as much. The reason is that in the first three games we were playing a rookie QB. In the next few games we had sizeable leads for the majority of the game which put us into ball control as a way to kill the clock and keep their offence off the field. I imagine that as games get tighter and points are harder to come by we will start using it to generate scoring.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:02:33 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Old Rusty

Beautifully repurposed Warhorse

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 04:17:50 PM »

hurry up so slimy teams like Saskatchewan can?t prepare to do the fake injury thing.

Cheesy Cheesy

"Fear profits a man nothing." - Herger the Joyous

"Suck it up, buttercup." - Anonymous swim coach in Winnipeg
rubanski

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »

Are you suggesting that teams have fielded 5 DL against us at times? I ask because I have never seen that happen. Tempo is usually run to keep defences in their last formation, to gas a defence and prevent substitution, or to force them into vanilla defences and not based on individual personnel matchups unless we are trying to keep a short yardage defence trapped on the field. For instance, when playing a team with a DC like Jones we may dial it up a bit in order to keep his defensive playbook in his pocket.

No, that was a generalization. Speculating that tempo was being run when specific opposing personnel groups were on the field.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: