Blue Bombers Forum
December 11, 2017, 04:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanstone takes a page out of the Pedersen Handbook for Homers  (Read 1401 times)
jayrock

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »

Welcome back Trapper, was wondering what happened to you. Nice to hear things are good.

RIDER PRIDE ALIVE IN THE PEG
bowlerdude

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »

if being in the discussion for Coach of the Year means being one of the three finalists, I guess why not him? if being in the discussion implies he has a legitimate chance to win, then... that's an easy no. Dickenson is the easy choice and O'Shea is the only other possible choice IMO.

if anything, the article seems to be making a solid case for the Riders being the third-best team in the league, which is fine, but a bit of a weird basis for his argument. I do think there is a significant drop-off from Winnipeg to Saskatchewan. The Bombers' absolute disaster of a first quarter in the LDC is pretty much what's keeping the season series from being a sweep, really. I know that's maybe a bit of a biased take, but you don't get back-to-back possessions starting at your opponent's 4 and 9 yard lines very often... you turn those into TDs and it's a long way back that the Bombers couldn't find. I'm not saying they got lucky, just that it's a very different game if the Bombers played the clean football that they normally do.

the Argos seem to find a way to lose every time they look like they're turning into the one respectable team in the East, but they are in the conversation for 3rd best team in the league too. June Jones is 4-2 with the Tiger-Cats so far, and I gotta admit I was super impressed with the gameplan and execution last week. He's taken over a dumpster fire and is getting some results out of them... if I were picking 3 CotY nominees I'd have to consider him for the 3rd spot just as much as Chris Jones...

so... basically... I definitely think there's some playing to the audience going on here, but don't think there's anything too outlandish either
Jesse

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 02:51:14 PM »

I feel like most of the time these awards go to the coach whose team had the largest turn around, not to the coach who had the best season. If that's the way voters go again, Jones has a much better shot than MOS.

Though I can't see anyone other than Dickenson winning due to all their success despite some clear injury trouble.
bomb squad

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »

if being in the discussion for Coach of the Year means being one of the three finalists, I guess why not him? if being in the discussion implies he has a legitimate chance to win, then... that's an easy no. Dickenson is the easy choice and O'Shea is the only other possible choice IMO.

if anything, the article seems to be making a solid case for the Riders being the third-best team in the league, which is fine, but a bit of a weird basis for his argument. I do think there is a significant drop-off from Winnipeg to Saskatchewan. The Bombers' absolute disaster of a first quarter in the LDC is pretty much what's keeping the season series from being a sweep, really. I know that's maybe a bit of a biased take, but you don't get back-to-back possessions starting at your opponent's 4 and 9 yard lines very often... you turn those into TDs and it's a long way back that the Bombers couldn't find. I'm not saying they got lucky, just that it's a very different game if the Bombers played the clean football that they normally do.

the Argos seem to find a way to lose every time they look like they're turning into the one respectable team in the East, but they are in the conversation for 3rd best team in the league too. June Jones is 4-2 with the Tiger-Cats so far, and I gotta admit I was super impressed with the gameplan and execution last week. He's taken over a dumpster fire and is getting some results out of them... if I were picking 3 CotY nominees I'd have to consider him for the 3rd spot just as much as Chris Jones...

so... basically... I definitely think there's some playing to the audience going on here, but don't think there's anything too outlandish either

Yes, we are better at this point. Signicantly? Nope.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 11:35:39 PM »

Keeping busy with other things.  Daughter just got engaged on the weekend.  So that's good.  Just got back from Toronto...was at the Rider/Argo game...had fun...it was like a home game...just with lots less people. Flew home with the team (coincidence) and that was fun too.

Been going to my weekly meeting at Forums Anonymous....guess I fell off the wagon....gonna see if there is a meeting today Wink

You uys have been having a good season....keep enjoying it! 

great! Well welcome back!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
bowlerdude

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »

Yes, we are better at this point. Signicantly? Nope.

I'm sure some people would disagree that we're significantly better, but I think we are
rubanski

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 12:19:25 PM »

Jones would be a colossal stretch for coach of the year. SK is going to finish 3rd or 4th in their division. I don't care how good the division is, that's not "coach of the year" stuff.  

Edmonton has had something like 20 of their opening day starters miss time for injuries, and Jason Maas has his team with the same freaking record as Chris Jones.

Hands down, Jason Maas has done more with less than Jones.

Jason Maas aside, clearly Dickenson's teams have been near unbeatable with tons of injuries as well.

BlueBomber96

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »

My favourite part of this thread is where OP got called butt hurt, more than once.

It's been outdated since 2012, long before the majority of people even learned about it.

Also, Jones being up for CotY? Debatable, but to say the Bombers barely won the series, LOL.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 02:08:48 PM »

Maas got it done early, which gets forgotten.  "What have you done for me lately".

Both Jones' have made late season improvements, but there is still 25% of the season to go.

To say that Dickenson has the benefit of the best roster/best QB, sure, that's a point, but really a cop out.  You still need to get the most out of that roster, and his record proves his talent on the sidelines.  Definitely the front runner for COTY.  Too bad they don't get downchecks for choking in the playoffs Wink

MOS has done a lot with a decent roster.  The key to me is that he has every other coach guessing what he's going to pull out of his bag of tricks.  Its one thing to randomly pull out trick plays, its quite another to use them effectively to change games. 

I think MOS has "coached" better that Dickenson, but in a results oriented consideration, the nod goes Calgary way.  For now.  The last game of the regular season might change that.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
trapper

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »

great! Well welcome back!

Thanks.  Just realized I'm a month away from my 10 year anniversary at this site.  I believe my first posts were around being terrified that some young gun-slinger was going to get a notch in the history books for kicking *** in his first game...in the Grey Cup...and the Riders would be forever a footnote as the team that lost....course that didn't happen...but then they got an even bigger footnote in 2009 which will forever live in infamy lol.

trapper

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »

Maas got it done early, which gets forgotten.  "What have you done for me lately".

Both Jones' have made late season improvements, but there is still 25% of the season to go.

To say that Dickenson has the benefit of the best roster/best QB, sure, that's a point, but really a cop out.  You still need to get the most out of that roster, and his record proves his talent on the sidelines.  Definitely the front runner for COTY.  Too bad they don't get downchecks for choking in the playoffs Wink

MOS has done a lot with a decent roster.  The key to me is that he has every other coach guessing what he's going to pull out of his bag of tricks.  Its one thing to randomly pull out trick plays, its quite another to use them effectively to change games. 

I think MOS has "coached" better that Dickenson, but in a results oriented consideration, the nod goes Calgary way.  For now.  The last game of the regular season might change that.

The Bombers have had a great year.  Seeing the promise in Nichols goes a long way....man he's been a stud this year.  He seems to be doing it so quietly...every time I see him play I keep thinking he's playing good....but whenever I saw the stats it still surprised me at how well. 

You are right there is still several games left...and even though it should be regular season based...I believe the voting takes place after the playoffs so it is considered.  All we know is Kavis Reed ain't gonna be winning it lol

If the Stamps finish with most wins ever...how can Dickenson not get that award? 
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 09:17:48 PM »

Thanks.  Just realized I'm a month away from my 10 year anniversary at this site.  I believe my first posts were around being terrified that some young gun-slinger was going to get a notch in the history books for kicking *** in his first game...in the Grey Cup...and the Riders would be forever a footnote as the team that lost....course that didn't happen...but then they got an even bigger footnote in 2009 which will forever live in infamy lol.

ya ya ya same old trapper always skimming for bottom feeders. Typical riders fan comment.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: