Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2017, 12:28:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers add receiver Myles White  (Read 1202 times)
GCn17

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 02:13:52 PM »

I just think that the memory is fresher with Givens and Whyte because they are our newest great white hopes. We have had many seemingly great prospects over the past several years. They are soon forgotten when they don't pan out. I don't feel the scouting reports have gotten any better or worse. I think that Walters and the scouts are getting better at measuring the intangibles.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
gbill2004

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »

I just think that the memory is fresher with Givens and Whyte because they are our newest great white hopes. We have had many seemingly great prospects over the past several years. They are soon forgotten when they don't pan out. I don't feel the scouting reports have gotten any better or worse. I think that Walters and the scouts are getting better at measuring the intangibles.
Joe Mack typically scouted his players from low division colleges. Walters and his group seem to focus more on scouting players with some NFL background. 
GCn17

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »

Joe Mack typically scouted his players from low division colleges. Walters and his group seem to focus more on scouting players with some NFL background. 

That's not true. Many of Mack's recruits came from top ten Div 1 schools... Greg Carr for example. The difference between Mack and our current regime is that Mack liked to recruit athletes that were deemed to be a problem child or attitude problems but had high measurables. Walters prefers to get players already vetted by the NFL.
Mack took a much greater risk/reward type approach and Walters takes a little more of a conventional approach. Mack unearthed some really good talent, unfortunately a lot of them were attitude deficient.
Mack scouted like he was scouting UDFA's for an NFL team, rather than scouting for players for a CFL team.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:43:30 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »

One issue I take with the current process of evaluating talent is the way a lot of scouts/teams put so much emphasis on the combine numbers. While there are a good tool, we have all seen players that play faster than their 40 time, play bigger than their size, etc. Some guys have great numbers in the desired matrix yet fail. At the other end of the spectrum you have players that have should be given a chance yet are excluded in large part by not hitting the numbers.

Lewis Welker is a great example of this, as is Doug Flutie... you don't have to be 6'5", able to bench 300 lbs 40 times, and run a 4.3 40 to be an impact player. Lewis Welker by all accounts should have been a failure in the NFL yet now he, and his type of play, has become an adjective when looking for receivers, they want a 'Lewis Welker' type of guy... pretty high praise... yet they tend to reject a lot players that don't fall within their desired numbers matrix without being given an opportunity...

Where's Rudy when you need him? lol

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
bowlerdude

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »

Not denying that is something that can happen sometimes... but which receivers have we signed during that time with the NFL experience of even Myles White?

Never mind Givens, who has an NFL resume no receiver in the last 10+ years in the CFL has had except for Sims-Walker, who unfortunately was just damaged goods...

These guys are more intriguing than a Jace Davis, Thomas Mayo, Greg Carr, TJ Harris... it doesn't matter much until they show it on the field, but definitely something to be optimistic about.
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »

And so that quest to find the next Brandon Zylstra continues....What happened to this Givens guy??

Id honestly love to be like Calgary, BC or Edmonton. Calgary always has a knack for having an off the radar guy come in for the final 4 games and playoffs and completely destroy people then have a MONSTER season the following year. BC, they always have the knack for finding a guy to surprise people at the end of the year then do the same the following year. Edmonton seems to do an amazing job of finding these amazing guys that kill you right from game 1 of the season.

Watch out for guys like Dabl? on Calgarys  practice roster. To go with Jorden being off the 6 game IR, Durant on the 6 game Calgary could potentially be getting lethal at the right time.

BC what you see on their active roster is the only players to worry about.

Edmonton has a bunch of guys that may have made Bowman obsolete but beware of what he is capable of doing.

i'm wondering if we see Givens, Brown, White or Washington(again) before the end of the season. Don't rule out a Dressler return but I wanna see us pull out a late season off the radar guy that kills people. I want us to have that guy that teams won't stop....mind you Darvin Adams has been hot and putting up big numbers!

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
GCn17

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 05:51:10 PM »

Not denying that is something that can happen sometimes... but which receivers have we signed during that time with the NFL experience of even Myles White?

Never mind Givens, who has an NFL resume no receiver in the last 10+ years in the CFL has had except for Sims-Walker, who unfortunately was just damaged goods...

These guys are more intriguing than a Jace Davis, Thomas Mayo, Greg Carr, TJ Harris... it doesn't matter much until they show it on the field, but definitely something to be optimistic about.

The OP was not restricting his commentary to the receiving position. Neither was I. But just for the sake of argument, I will see your Sims-Walker and raise you a Jerrel Jernigan (who probably has as good or better resume than either Givens or White). Who is that you ask? Exactly. He didn't make it out of mini-camp thus his NFL credentials and impressive resume were forever forgotten.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:57:31 PM by GCn17 » Logged

KINGCHARLES

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »

Man to bad guys like Harris and Thorpe couldn't be team players......where is Harris now? No one knows. Thorpe he was suppose to be the next Arland Bruce III....

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
bowlerdude

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 06:27:58 PM »

The OP was not restricting his commentary to the receiving position. Neither was I. But just for the sake of argument, I will see your Sims-Walker and raise you a Jerrel Jernigan (who probably has as good or better resume than either Givens or White). Who is that you ask? Exactly. He didn't make it out of mini-camp thus his NFL credentials and impressive resume were forever forgotten.

The first quoted post you replied to was...
The one thing I have noticed this year; is that the scouting reports for the guys we are bringing in to take a look at are much better than in the past.  I remember in the past the comments would include poor hands, or poor speed, or something was wrong that they didn't get a chance in the NFL because of it but this year it feels like the players are decent and just got "beat" out by others.
which may not specifically mention the receiving position, but as it mentions things like poor hands and was made in the context of a thread where we added a receiver and previous posts were discussing the receivers we brought in, then the original poster of that post replied to you with a bunch of scouting reports of receivers... it would make sense to be discussing the receiving position.

I did forget about Jernigan, although it wasn't that he didn't make it out of mini-camp. He had family commitments during mini-camp and didn't want to stick around, then after was transferred to the retired list.

Also, Jernigan's NFL resume is better than White, so he does indeed fit what I was asking for... but Givens had two separate seasons better than Jernigan's entire NFL career, plus a third that almost matches it again, so... "who probably has as good or better resume than either Givens or White" is... well, not even close. I stand by my original statement - these two guys are much more intriguing than the vast majority of receiver prospects we've brought in recently, and it's not recency bias.

But yeah, Jernigan was an exciting addition at the time too. It was too bad he didn't want to stick around. If you list the guys in recent memory who have come to the CFL with more than a handful of career NFL catches, you'll find a lot of good CFL receivers. You won't find very many that actually stuck around and didn't pan out. Not saying there aren't a few, but I love seeing us bring in a few guys like this. We haven't had one in a while that wanted to stick around.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:34:07 PM by bowlerdude » Logged
GCn17

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »

The first quoted post you replied to was...which may not specifically mention the receiving position, but as it mentions things like poor hands and was made in the context of a thread where we added a receiver and previous posts were discussing the receivers we brought in, then the original poster of that post replied to you with a bunch of scouting reports of receivers... it would make sense to be discussing the receiving position.

I did forget about Jernigan, although it wasn't that he didn't make it out of mini-camp. He had family commitments during mini-camp and didn't want to stick around, then after was transferred to the retired list.

Also, Jernigan's NFL resume is better than White, so he does indeed fit what I was asking for... but Givens had two separate seasons better than Jernigan's entire NFL career, plus a third that almost matches it again, so... "who probably has as good or better resume than either Givens or White" is... well, not even close. I stand by my original statement - these two guys are much more intriguing than the vast majority of receiver prospects we've brought in recently, and it's not recency bias.

But yeah, Jernigan was an exciting addition at the time too. It was too bad he didn't want to stick around. If you list the guys in recent memory who have come to the CFL with more than a handful of career NFL catches, you'll find a lot of good CFL receivers. You won't find very many that actually stuck around and didn't pan out. Not saying there aren't a few, but I love seeing us bring in a few guys like this. We haven't had one in a while that wanted to stick around.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing ex-NFLers being recruited. I just don't think they are automatically better recruits until they show it on the field. I think they are more likely to stick though.

bowlerdude

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing ex-NFLers being recruited. I just don't think they are automatically better recruits until they show it on the field. I think they are more likely to stick though.

Yeah, fair enough, doesn't mean much until they show something in game action
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: