Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2017, 12:36:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to Nichols?  (Read 1590 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« on: October 07, 2017, 11:31:17 PM »

I was at the game we were in it still why was he pulled. Injury? Is he ok?

Thx

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »

hand hit a helmet I believe

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 11:46:27 PM »

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/06/nichols-sidelined-tiger-cats/

thunderNlightning

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »

Let's be realistic here. IF Nichols does miss any time (games), We are likely going to end up losing them. I said likely as there are chances we could win without them, but the chances are much more higher that we lose. From what we see with DD, he is a rookie, and very likely for the time being look exactly like one. And the longer the defense we have is left on the field as the offense struggles, numerous two and outs, as we witnessed vs Hamilton, we will be giving up a high amount of points against, while our offense will struggle to put offense together and score points.

Pigskin

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 12:09:37 AM »

DD will get better each week he plays. We also have another QB with experience who has won a couple of games in his career.
The Zipp

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 12:19:22 AM »

Well we aren't set up great from a defensive perspective to have a back up QB playing. We needed them to step up last night and they didn't...Hamilton controlled the game.  Typically when a back up is in you need your defense to amp up the pressure and get the stops. 

MOS didn't seem too concerned in the post game comments but that could mean nothing.  Should know more in a few days.   

Broken finger in throwing hand - is that the worst case?  What's the recovery for that?  Month?
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:50:08 AM »

So it could be devastating with a break or back next week with a quick turn around.

Nobody knows jack squat!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
The Zipp

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 01:08:57 AM »

So it could be devastating with a break or back next week with a quick turn around.

Nobody knows jack squat!

I am sure they know.  Not a complicated body part...
thunderNlightning

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 01:55:03 AM »

Well we aren't set up great from a defensive perspective to have a back up QB playing. We needed them to step up last night and they didn't...Hamilton controlled the game.  Typically when a back up is in you need your defense to amp up the pressure and get the stops. 

MOS didn't seem too concerned in the post game comments but that could mean nothing.  Should know more in a few days.   

Broken finger in throwing hand - is that the worst case?  What's the recovery for that?  Month?

Does he ever look concerned or worried when discussing injuries?!
gbill2004

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 02:10:13 AM »

His fingernail came off his ring finger making it difficult to grip and get a good "touch" on the ball.

I sit behind the Bombers bench and he was playing catch most of the second half on the side.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 02:27:45 AM »

His fingernail came off his ring finger making it difficult to grip and get a good "touch" on the ball.

I sit behind the Bombers bench and he was playing catch most of the second half on the side.

so what you are saying is that we just need a lee press on nail? LOL

Pigskin

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 02:39:15 AM »

Matt is tough. If it's just a finger nail, he will ice it for the next couple of days, slap on a glove and play on Saturday.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 03:54:31 AM »

Matt is tough. If it's just a finger nail, he will ice it for the next couple of days, slap on a glove and play on Saturday.

If he was tougher he would of put the team on his back and made the game closer than it was.......it was a little finger nail issue...sheeeesh suck it up an get out there
The Zipp

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 03:59:36 AM »

If he was tougher he would of put the team on his back and made the game closer than it was.......it was a little finger nail issue...sheeeesh suck it up an get out there

Really.  Ironic that you are the guy crying for Dominic Davis and you post that....

If you can't grip a football you can't throw it - Matt would have stayed in if he could have.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 04:02:54 AM »

Really.  Ironic that you are the guy crying for Dominic Davis and you post that....

If you can't grip a football you can't throw it - Matt would have stayed in if he could have.

Sorry. You are correct. I am still just coming down from such a brutal loss. I wish the Bombers all best this week in practise....BC sucks, I hope all the blue heal up real good and come out and kick the lions arses !!!
kkc60

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 04:29:50 AM »

Yeah. Worst case scenario he makes his hand worse and it actually keeps him out of more than a half of football 
TecnoGenius

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »

I'm nearly positive he didn't "lose a fingernail"!  There was one good closeup of the bleeding nail on the sidelines and I'm nearly positive (99%) that the nail was there.  If it wasn't, the whole pad would be bleeding and very red.  It was white.  It looked like he simply got the skin smashed up at the cuticle, and that was bleeding.

If his nail was off completely, he would have come out immediately and not gone back in.  Do you have any idea how much pain that causes?

I'm also doubtful there is a fracture.  Again, he would have shown more pain and issues in the subsequent plays.

I think they took him out to not exacerbate the problem/bleeding and because when they pulled him they knew it was a losing game.  HAM showed up, Masoli was in the zone, and WPG wasn't prepared.  I think we lose that one even with Nichols.  Take Nichols out before he gets hurt worse in this nothing game.  Save him for what counts, the W matchups.
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:13 AM »

I'm nearly positive he didn't "lose a fingernail"!  There was one good closeup of the bleeding nail on the sidelines and I'm nearly positive (99%) that the nail was there.  If it wasn't, the whole pad would be bleeding and very red.  It was white.  It looked like he simply got the skin smashed up at the cuticle, and that was bleeding.

If his nail was off completely, he would have come out immediately and not gone back in.  Do you have any idea how much pain that causes?

I'm also doubtful there is a fracture.  Again, he would have shown more pain and issues in the subsequent plays.

I think they took him out to not exacerbate the problem/bleeding and because when they pulled him they knew it was a losing game.  HAM showed up, Masoli was in the zone, and WPG wasn't prepared.  I think we lose that one even with Nichols.  Take Nichols out before he gets hurt worse in this nothing game.  Save him for what counts, the W matchups.

I agree that the nail was still there but blood was all around it.  It might fall off later.  I'm assuming his finger got all swollen and lost feeling making good throws tough to do.  Hopefully he can heal up fast.

As for Dom,  I think they need to make the call soon if he's starting rather than waiting till later in the week.  And if he is, make the game plan accordingly.  Have him moving around a lot more to give him time to see the field.  Use those young health legs.  And lots of dump passes to Harris and Flanders.
gbill2004

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »

Bob Irving and Doug Brown said it was his nail that came off during the post game show.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »

Bob Irving and Doug Brown said it was his nail that came off during the post game show.

I listened to that and they sounded like they were speculating.  I don't think either had any extra information we didn't.

I'm pretty sure the nail was intact, didn't fall off, and won't fall off.  I think the skin above the nail got seriously damaged, hence all the blood gushing at that spot only.  I hope I'm right and that's all it is!!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 11:06:46 PM »

I imagine we will get an update tomorrow....losing a nail is pretty painful and try throwing a foot ball without one sometime! 

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
DM83

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 03:32:53 AM »

So he broke a nail, and he couldn't play??.?. Was there a penalty?
Too funny. Star quarterback breaks nail, comes out of close game, didn't want to damage the gloss in nearby ones.

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 04:07:30 AM »

So he broke a nail, and he couldn't play??.?. Was there a penalty?
Too funny. Star quarterback breaks nail, comes out of close game, didn't want to damage the gloss in nearby ones.

.   Cheesy Cheesy

fuzzy

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 04:10:09 AM »

I'm still surprised that they didn't go with Lefevour at some point in the game considering how much more playing experience he's had in the league and his mobility.  Davis earned number 2 in training camp but that was 4 months ago.

Please ignore all notices until further notice.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 04:24:36 AM »

I'm still surprised that they didn't go with Lefevour at some point in the game considering how much more playing experience he's had in the league and his mobility.  Davis earned number 2 in training camp but that was 4 months ago.
Hes gotten some reps coming in on 3rd and short or near the goal line.  He has good size and deceptive speed....unfortunately his throwing arm isn't keeping up with his legs.  Might be good to change things up though with him running some plays.   I'm still praying Nichols can play even if he's not quite 100%.....to be realistic, he's our best shot at winning at the moment and into the playoffs...or beyond....dare I dream!!!

swansong

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 04:26:31 AM »

Hes gotten some reps coming in on 3rd and short or near the goal line.  He has good size and deceptive speed....unfortunately his throwing arm isn't keeping up with his legs.  Might be good to change things up though with him running some plays.   I'm still praying Nichols can play even if he's not quite 100%.....to be realistic, he's our best shot at winning at the moment and into the playoffs...or beyond....dare I dream!!!

Seen that mentioned a few times but how do we know. I can't recall seeing him throw more than once or twice this year.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 05:17:17 AM »

Seen that mentioned a few times but how do we know. I can't recall seeing him throw more than once or twice this year.
They were using DL on short yardage situations and then immediately after making the first down they left him in to run a set passing play.....which wasn't always successful.  It's a great plan if you execute but it wasn't happening that much if I recall.   Still.....you're right we haven't seen him throw many balls in games for us.  What are the reports from people watching practices or training camp?   DD does seem to be able to run and throw on the run which is a great asset for any QB especially in this league.   

TecnoGenius

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 05:47:49 AM »

Interesting: I'd say Dom Davis on Friday looked as good (or better) than Franklin did @MTL today.  Granted, MTL was on-and-off rain, but still...
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 05:57:09 AM »

We will lose the rest of our games without Nichols.  We do need a solid backup that can win games. 
gbill2004

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »

I imagine we will get an update tomorrow....losing a nail is pretty painful and try throwing a foot ball without one sometime! 
Didn't Ryan Smith miss a game or two because of a broken finger nail? 
GCn17

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »

If his finger swells or he can't grip a football he won't be playing.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Ridermania

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »

Bombers are in the play-offs, so I would rest Nichols for a game and give Davis some more game time experience.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »

Didn't Ryan Smith miss a game or two because of a broken finger nail? 
I think you're right....it seemed like such an insignificant injury but it's very painful.  If you can't grip the ball properly you can't throw it well. 

gbill2004

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »

I think you're right....it seemed like such an insignificant injury but it's very painful.  If you can't grip the ball properly you can't throw it well. 
Yep...an OL or DL could probably easily play through it, but if you need to catch or throw the football, I'd think it would be very difficult. 

I did see Nichols throwing the football on the sidelines the entire second half, so I am optimistic (hopeful) he plays this week. 
GCn17

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 01:11:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure he'll play too.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
bigbuff33

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »

Hopefully updates today from practice...
gbill2004

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »

Hopefully updates today from practice...
Apparently the QBs aren't being made available to the media today, which is not the norm for day one.  O'Shea will be up to his usual tricks with the injury updates this week. 
fuzzy

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »

I'm still thinking that Davis took his team down 9 points after 3 quarters, at home, against a 3-8 team and did nothing to win the game. So.....is he the answer long term?  Maybe, but as the playoff drive continues you need someone who is going to come off the bench and pull of a win, especially at home in perfect weather conditions against a 3 win team. What if Nichols goes down in the 2nd quarter of a playoff game?  Then what?

Please ignore all notices until further notice.
gbill2004

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 05:47:26 PM »

I'm still thinking that Davis took his team down 9 points after 3 quarters, at home, against a 3-8 team and did nothing to win the game. So.....is he the answer long term?  Maybe, but as the playoff drive continues you need someone who is going to come off the bench and pull of a win, especially at home in perfect weather conditions against a 3 win team. What if Nichols goes down in the 2nd quarter of a playoff game?  Then what?
I guess it depends on what the score is at that time, but likely it means our season is over. 
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »

Paul Friesen‏Verified account @friesensunmedia 11m11 minutes ago
By the end of practice today Matt Nichols, hangnail or not, was throwing darts 40 yards downfield. #Bombers.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
gbill2004

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »

I'm a little concerned that opposing defenders will be targeting Nichols hand on purpose. 
thunderNlightning

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »

Bottom line our hogs up front need to protect whoever is back there better. Nichols took a lot of pretty hard hits last game.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »

I'm a little concerned that opposing defenders will be targeting Nichols hand on purpose. 

Kinda the risk any time your QB comes back from any injury. However, it's a lot easier to "target" a knee or rib vs a ring finger nail Tongue

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
bowlerdude

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »

Targeting his hand on purpose... I'm not even sure that's possible and definitely doesn't sound like a good way to finish your tackles
gbill2004

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »

Targeting his hand on purpose... I'm not even sure that's possible and definitely doesn't sound like a good way to finish your tackles
I mean like when he's getting hit or after being sacked some players will take cheap shots that the refs can't see in the pile-ups. 
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »

I mean like when he's getting hit or after being sacked some players will take cheap shots that the refs can't see in the pile-ups. 

...Obviously, Matt Nichols should preemptively poke players in the eye with one of his good digits under the pile then. Tongue
TecnoGenius

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:25 AM »

Sure you can: go for the strip every time instead of the tackle/knock down.  Just repeat what HAM was doing.  When pressure gets to Nichols make sure you go for the throwing hand.

Hoggies need to step up.  Blocking RB/WR's need to step up.

Anyone notice how CGY has a system of shouts the OL/blockers use to notify BLM that they're losing contain?  Why don't we do something like this?  A blocker who misses could notify Nichols a tackle from behind is coming, etc.  CGY seems to have this down to an art, that's why BLM never gets sacked.  We need to copy it.  (If you don't believe, me, listen on BLM snaps played @CGY, you can hear their post-snap warnings quite easily.)
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »

Sure you can: go for the strip every time instead of the tackle/knock down.  Just repeat what HAM was doing.  When pressure gets to Nichols make sure you go for the throwing hand.

Hoggies need to step up.  Blocking RB/WR's need to step up.

Anyone notice how CGY has a system of shouts the OL/blockers use to notify BLM that they're losing contain?  Why don't we do something like this?  A blocker who misses could notify Nichols a tackle from behind is coming, etc.  CGY seems to have this down to an art, that's why BLM never gets sacked.  We need to copy it.  (If you don't believe, me, listen on BLM snaps played @CGY, you can hear their post-snap warnings quite easily.)

. Good pick up TG....it's true that he's able to avoid sacks like the plague.  You'd think other teams would pick up on it as well because any teams starting QB is worth maximum protection.

Chris1982

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/10/10/nichols-looks-good-to-go-for-blue-bombers

Winnipeg born and raised, Oak Park alum.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: