Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2017, 12:29:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - A Little Humility Edition  (Read 2781 times)
dd

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »

The game was won/lost at the 10 minute mark of the 4th quarter, score 22-13, and Medlock punted the ball oat the Hamilton 10 yard line. Our D gets them to go 2 and out we get out the ball in great field position poised to score some points. Instead the tabbies March 100 yards for a TD, game over.

Sure there were missed calls that would have helped us, but really, we could have won this game but didn't. Dropped passes, missed field goals missed tackles and our inability to Stop The Ticats when we Needed To Was why we lost
TecnoGenius

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »

Anyone else notice that the person who manages the replays at IGF on the jumbotron is absolutely terrible?  Does nothing to help out the Bombers. I often see O'Shea looking up at it waiting for the replay and it goes to commercial or taking forever to show the replay.

Yup, horrible replays at the stadium.  It's always that way.  And when it's something close (i.e. challengeable) they don't show it at all: like a couple of times the crowd got really rowdy at the bad calls, no replay at all.  There were at least 5 calls that night that left me wondering and I had to wait until I got home to the PVR to find out.

P.S. I think the donut is in every cup.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »

The game was won/lost at the 10 minute mark of the 4th quarter, score 22-13, and Medlock punted the ball oat the Hamilton 10 yard line. Our D gets them to go 2 and out we get out the ball in great field position poised to score some points. Instead the tabbies March 100 yards for a TD, game over.

Sure, but I don't blame the D for that.  At 10min in 4th Q the D had been on the field about double the time the O was.  The D was completely wasted halfway through the 3rd.  You can't expect the D to be on the field all game and be productive.  O really blew the game tonight, and you can blame the D early, but not in the 4th.  I'm surprised they held up as well as they did; they still didn't fold like MTL does or HAM did earlier in the year in their blowouts.
dd

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 10:27:31 PM »

Hamilton drove the ball 100+ yards twice for TD's, that falls on the defense. You have to stop them since the O and ST trapped the Ticats inside their 10. They didn't do that, Ticats pathetic offense comes down and scored 14 points instead of giving us back good field position, bang, that's the game right there. And that's the reason this team won't win the big one, the defense will break our hearts every time.
Pigskin

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 11:15:58 PM »

Hamilton is improving each week. Last week they got Fantz back, this week it was was the teddy bear, and what looks to be a very good RB. There front 7 are also very good when healthy.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 04:57:58 AM »

GOOD
  • Bryant grabbing the 2nd Nichols fumble and lateralling to Denmark; Bryant makes a good RB, breaking tackles! 2Q4:01
  • Shut out Tasker & Fantuz in the 1st half: no easy feat!!
  • ST didn't screw anything up, so they get a pass; but they didn't get us many yards either (that fake on 3rd down punt cannot be pinned on ST as it was the normal 3rd down D on the field, not ST)

BAD
  • Kanneh's hand slaps Nichols' helmet before the strip on the Nichols' fumble; uncalled, unchallenged 1Q2:38
  • Same play HAM #0 steps squarely on Nichols' wrist once he's down, that's gotta do some damage
  • Masoli was in the zone: he was by far the best QB of all the games this week so far
  • #51 hands to the face again??  Ugh.  No replay showed it, but I'll assume it's true.  OL coach needs to lay down the law on #51 and HTTF; #51's the new Westerman, guaranteed a stupid penalty every game
  • O & D were sleeping zombies; no excuse, no heart, no fire, no win

UGLY
  • Horrendous spot on Adam's catch last in 1st half was a whole yard off of forward progress; wastes our 2min offence time getting the 1st down on a sneak. Thought eye in the sky auto-corrected those in last 3 mins?  I guess they are saying because he fell back before being touched that there is no fwd progress?  I've never seen it called that way before (2Q0:18)
  • Moe's convert return "offside pass": here the rules are goofy, so if he stayed upright and kicked it, it would have been fine, but because he did the harder thing of leaning over it's "offside pass".  Need to coach hoggies on what to do in that situation and practice it.  (3Q10:05)  (Rule 6, sec 3, art 1)
  • Davis hooksliding
  • Reffing: While they did get most marginal calls correct, they definitely seemed to have gotten the memo to "make it up" to HAM for blowing that PI call the week before that CFL apologized for
  • Can't blame anything after the first half (or earlier) on D because O left them on the field double the time; no D can succeed like that for very long
  • LaPo play calling in the 1st half; those weren't BB playcalls; did someone put Bellefeuille in the booth instead?  The first few series were atrociously called; I sat there in the stands wondering: huh?  Sure, try something new, but when it fails miserably after 2 drives, pull out the usual playbook.  Not a single sweep?  Not a single criss-cross playaction?  No dual-back looks?  Ya, throw away everything that worked so far this year...
DarkDays

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »

• LaPo play calling in the 1st half; those weren't BB playcalls; did someone put Bellefeuille in the booth instead?  The first few series were atrociously called; I sat there in the stands wondering: huh?  Sure, try something new, but when it fails miserably after 2 drives, pull out the usual playbook.  Not a single sweep?  Not a single criss-cross playaction?  No dual-back looks?  Ya, throw away everything that worked so far this year...

This X 10.

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
3rdand1.5

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »

Yes the play calling on offence seemed off compared to the last few games?
TBURGESS

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »

Eye in the sky never auto-corrects anything.
Passing the ball ahead with your hand has always been against the rules.
Blaming the O because the D couldn't stop Hamilton is dumb. If the D wants to get off the field, they have to stop Hammy's O themselves.
Blaming the refs is sour grapes. They mostly did their job right, and they are never 100% right.

Being right never gets old.
dd

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 04:34:23 PM »

GOOD
  • Bryant grabbing the 2nd Nichols fumble and lateralling to Denmark; Bryant makes a good RB, breaking tackles! 2Q4:01
  • Shut out Tasker & Fantuz in the 1st half: no easy feat!!
  • ST didn't screw anything up, so they get a pass; but they didn't get us many yards either (that fake on 3rd down punt cannot be pinned on ST as it was the normal 3rd down D on the field, not ST)

BAD
  • Kanneh's hand slaps Nichols' helmet before the strip on the Nichols' fumble; uncalled, unchallenged 1Q2:38
  • Same play HAM #0 steps squarely on Nichols' wrist once he's down, that's gotta do some damage
  • Masoli was in the zone: he was by far the best QB of all the games this week so far
  • #51 hands to the face again??  Ugh.  No replay showed it, but I'll assume it's true.  OL coach needs to lay down the law on #51 and HTTF; #51's the new Westerman, guaranteed a stupid penalty every game
  • O & D were sleeping zombies; no excuse, no heart, no fire, no win

UGLY
  • Horrendous spot on Adam's catch last in 1st half was a whole yard off of forward progress; wastes our 2min offence time getting the 1st down on a sneak. Thought eye in the sky auto-corrected those in last 3 mins?  I guess they are saying because he fell back before being touched that there is no fwd progress?  I've never seen it called that way before (2Q0:18)
  • Moe's convert return "offside pass": here the rules are goofy, so if he stayed upright and kicked it, it would have been fine, but because he did the harder thing of leaning over it's "offside pass".  Need to coach hoggies on what to do in that situation and practice it.  (3Q10:05)  (Rule 6, sec 3, art 1)
  • Davis hooksliding
  • Reffing: While they did get most marginal calls correct, they definitely seemed to have gotten the memo to "make it up" to HAM for blowing that PI call the week before that CFL apologized for
  • Can't blame anything after the first half (or earlier) on D because O left them on the field double the time; no D can succeed like that for very long

Coach up the Hoggies??? I thought everyone playing youth league and High School football knew that if you can't advance the ball by batting it forward with your hands
TecnoGenius

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 09:34:53 PM »

Eye in the sky never auto-corrects anything.

False.  Eye has corrected many spots this year.  Like 10 or so.  My question was whether the corrections only occur in the last 3 mins of a half.  Usually the corrections are after a sneak.  But you'd think it would be just as valid on Adams' catch.  Either forward progress doesn't apply in that particular case, or the refs blew the spot.

bowlerdude

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »

The Good
- Denmark had a nice game
- Santos-Knox looked really good again... this guy is good
- Although Banks torched Randle once early, he made a ton of nice plays as the game went on
- Wolitarsky's first catch was a really nice play and route by him
- Coates looks like a viable replacement for JFG if his injury is serious, which is nice
- Catching Hamilton napping on 3rd down, Adams to Harris pass.

The Bad
- Wolitarsky's drop was not very good (although I don't know why anyone thinks it would've lead to a first down, tight coverage 4 yards short it was never gonna happen)
- Terrible night from Walker.
- Leggett made some plays, but Tasker worked him over pretty good in coverage.
- Pretty rough night from the defense as a whole actually. Willing to write this one off as an anomaly, but a step back for sure.
- Unfortunately, Davis is a mess. The stats look okay, but the on-field performance absolutely did not. I will grant there were a couple drops, but what worries me is that he looked totally lost on most plays that went past their first reads. I thought he was more composed in his start a couple years ago than tonight (edit: this week). Maybe that's something that he needs to prepare as the starter for, but I'm pretty disappointed with what I saw from him.
- Flanders and Nichols going down... hope they are back quickly.

The Ugly
- Early whistle by the ref on Lankford's catch being a contender for worst call of the year. I think the spots were way off a couple of times. Oh well.
- Lankford quitting on a route, leading to an INT
- Taking the wind in the 4th quarter, then promptly letting Hamilton run the first 9 minutes of it off the clock.

We had a pretty terrible first quarter, but we were coming back. I don't think we lose this game if Nichols doesn't get hurt (although the real killer was that 4th quarter drive Hamilton had).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:26:26 PM by bowlerdude » Logged
GCn17

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »

Bottom line:

We got caught in a trap game. Happens to all good teams eventually.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Realist

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »

Yup, horrible replays at the stadium.  It's always that way.  And when it's something close (i.e. challengeable) they don't show it at all: like a couple of times the crowd got really rowdy at the bad calls, no replay at all.  There were at least 5 calls that night that left me wondering and I had to wait until I got home to the PVR to find out.

P.S. I think the donut is in every cup.

I think it's always in the original. And Gwendoline wins most often at the Moose games.  Wink
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »

Watched the replay....our D was basically ineffective and Masoli ate them up and kept them off balance the entire game.   We were completely out coached in this game as well.  It was disturbing just how easily they moved the ball on us and their TOP was nearly 40 minutes.....that will tire any Defence so obviously our offence wasn't able to control the LOS and we had too many 2-0s.  If they come out flat the next game we have issues but I don't expect them to especially if Nichols can play!  Too bad the team laid an egg as they need to get into the playoffs with momentum behind them.   Hope they didn't peak too early against Edmonton?!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: