Blue Bombers Forum
December 13, 2017, 06:22:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - A Little Humility Edition  (Read 4201 times)
the paw

« on: October 07, 2017, 03:35:38 AM »

An uninspired effort, which just goes to show you shouldn't read your own press clippings. Hard to pull out positives from this one, and I'm going to resist the temptation  to itemize every screw up (there are too many) and stick to a few generalities.   

The Good

1.  Denmark had a respectable game IMHO.

2.  We finally got to see where Davis' development is at (see more later)

3.  It was easy getting a seat on the bus for the ride home, as most people had left.

4.  I am still convinced Santos Knox is a keeper.

5.  Medlock seems back to normal.

The Bad

6.  Walker had a tough night.

7.  I thought we missed Westerman tonight.  If you get pressure on Masoli, he just chucks it up at random.  We didn't get enough consistent pressure, and on the several occasions where we did and he chucked it wildly, we were unlucky and unable to lay hands on the ball for the turnover.  Letting Masoli get on a roll is not a good thing.

8.  We didn't use Harris to establish the run early, and Flanders wasn't very effective.  I don't know if they were trying to lighten Andrews load a little or what, but he did not get the touches he needed early.

9.  Its pretty clear we are not likely to win too many games with Davis at this point.  He wasn't godawful, given how green he is, but it was apparent by his second series that we weren't coming back in this one. 

The Ugly

10.  Getting punked on the on-side punt was quite bad, but having it recovered by Brandon Banks made me nauseous.

grab grass 'n growl
thunderNlightning

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:49:21 AM »

An uninspired effort, which just goes to show you shouldn't read your own press clippings. Hard to pull out positives from this one, and I'm going to resist the temptation  to itemize every screw up (there are too many) and stick to a few generalities.   

The Good

1.  Denmark had a respectable game IMHO.

2.  We finally got to see where Davis' development is at (see more later)

3.  It was easy getting a seat on the bus for the ride home, as most people had left.

4.  I am still convinced Santos Knox is a keeper.

5.  Medlock seems back to normal.

The Bad

6.  Walker had a tough night.

7.  I thought we missed Westerman tonight.  If you get pressure on Masoli, he just chucks it up at random.  We didn't get enough consistent pressure, and on the several occasions where we did and he chucked it wildly, we were unlucky and unable to lay hands on the ball for the turnover.  Letting Masoli get on a roll is not a good thing.

8.  We didn't use Harris to establish the run early, and Flanders wasn't very effective.  I don't know if they were trying to lighten Andrews load a little or what, but he did not get the touches he needed early.

9.  Its pretty clear we are not likely to win too many games with Davis at this point.  He wasn't godawful, given how green he is, but it was apparent by his second series that we weren't coming back in this one. 

The Ugly

10.  Getting punked on the on-side punt was quite bad, but having it recovered by Brandon Banks made me nauseous.

So did alexander, mind you the entire secondary did.

Side note to the Ugly, Injuries to both Nichols, but especially Flanders as we are already brutally thin at receiver.
The Zipp

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:57:55 AM »

Good:

We got a chance to see Davis and Wolitarsky

Maurice leggett. He is awesome

I know we aren't supposed to see good in the opponent but hamiltons defense was flying around - Abdullah Kennah (sp?) looked fabulous

Bad:

Officiating was terrible - quick whistle, missed shot on Nichols on the fumble (why didn't we challenge that?)

Fogg on returns - not just tonight but over time he just doesn't have the speed

Defense in general - couldn't get masoli off the field - they chewed up the clock

Heath isn't that good

Ugly:

The overall slowness that we played with - hated it

If we need to run with Davis as our starter - not good
thunderNlightning

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 04:05:18 AM »

Good:

We got a chance to see Davis and Wolitarsky

Maurice leggett. He is awesome

I know we aren't supposed to see good in the opponent but hamiltons defense was flying around - Abdullah Kennah (sp?) looked fabulous

Bad:

Officiating was terrible - quick whistle, missed shot on Nichols on the fumble (why didn't we challenge that?)

Fogg on returns - not just tonight but over time he just doesn't have the speed

Defense in general - couldn't get masoli off the field - they chewed up the clock

Heath isn't that good

Ugly:

The overall slowness that we played with - hated it

If we need to run with Davis as our starter - not good

I have mentioned this before and still believe as well. He really is not that  good outside of his few INT's.
The Zipp

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:17 AM »

Forgot to add that Langford didn't look very good - I would like to see Givens in there
3rdand1.5

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 05:08:24 AM »

the good;

It didn't rain, so I stayed dry.

The Bad;

The entire team effort, started flat played and uninspired. A 3 win team dominated us from start to finish

The Ugly;

Played poorly in a losing effort, and suffered injuries to boot.

blue girl

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 05:17:38 AM »

The Good
Moe Leggett
Justin Medlock

The Bad
The officiating

The Ugly
Everything else. I know that teams are going to have bad games once in a while but why do the Bombers seem to have theirs at home?
Blue72

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 05:25:22 AM »

For a team that is so well coached and know what they are suppost to do by now, they stand around the ball after it was kicked on a trick play just to have a Hammy player that was on side jump on it for a big gain.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 05:39:27 AM »

This thread should be renamed:
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Can't Blame It On Roc Edition
gbill2004

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 08:55:35 AM »

The Good
Jovan Santos Knox is a stud. He's going to be a star in this league.
Coates continues to impress

The Bad:
Dom Davis disappointed.
Injuries to Nichols, Corney and Flanders
Wolitarsky's drop that would have led to a first down
Sam Hurl
The secondary

The Ugly:
Bombers coming out flat
The D allowing the Ticats to run the final clock killing 9 minute 100 yard drive
Sergio Castillo injury
Early whistle by the ref on the Langford catch - I let a couple F-bombs go there and offended an old guy sitting in front of me
Langford not paying attention to Nichols pass to him in the end zone, resulting in an interception
Richie Hall's D
Ridermania

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »

Really hope Nichols isn't out too long.

Davis looked just like a young QB, needs playing time, but shows potential.

Bombers depth may be an issue for the next couple of games.
fansince79

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »

Hurl invisible. Again.
We kept Davis around for 3 years, for that? I hope O'Shea doesn't do his usual, I want to be everybody's friend and not take a serious look at starting Lefevour if Nichols can't go.
Brian Walker got torched all game.
Where was the bubble screen to Harris? Ran it a bunch against Edm and Ott.
Really bad crowd turnout for a 10-3 team who've won 5 in a row at home. So much for the notion that people will show up if you win.
Blue and Golden Delicious

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 12:19:06 PM »

Good

Leggett - always shows up to play.
Jeffcoat - really establishing himself as a bookend to Westerman.
Getting a solid look at Davis.
Getting an OK look at Wolitarski.
Coats seems to be improving every game and making the most of his opportunities.
Great weather for fall football.

Bad

Santos-Knox - he was getting manhandled a lot and although I like his physicality, his short fuse could have really hurt us a couple of times (I was surprised he didn't get flagged), especially if the game had been closer/meant more. You can't take selfish penalties at this time of year.
Hurl - we really saw the limit of Hurl's athleticism. He's fine plugging gaps and playing the LoS, but he's awful in any type of coverage.
Davis - nice to get a look but he was a deer in headlights a lot of the time. Still needs lots of time/work.
Watching half a game knowing even the WBB had essentially written it off.
Momentum killers - I'm not going to blame the refs because they were close calls (evidenced by no challenges) but the PI on Walker in the first half was pretty bogus IMO (solid jam and aggressive play to the ball with a textbook breakup is not - or should not be - PI), and the 3rd down gamble that looked pretty **** iffy after a huge stop by the WBB (IMO the officials should never call something that close a success, and the burden of proof should be on the offense to clearly make the gain - because they gambled - not on the defense to emphatically stop them). The offside forward pass by Thomas to Leggett on his TD was another. These were all bad luck momentum killers that could have really changed the pace of the game in the WBBs favour.

Ugly

Nichols getting injured. Hopefully it isn't serious.
Randle not respecting Bank's speed on the first TD.
The punt recovery (you can believe that was a huge slap to the face for MOS that he won't soon forget).
Such poor attendance when we were 10-3 on a gorgeous night.

Edit: Although the game was tough to watch, sometimes these instances are good later in a season to keep everyone honest. Blue tinted goggles? Maybe. But I'd wager the tone at practice this week is going to be a lot more serious than if we'd rolled over the Cats, which might be a good thing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:26:44 PM by Blue and Golden Delicious » Logged

And I will reach my field of battle by any means at my disposal
And when I get there, I will arrive violently
I will rip the heart from my enemy, and leave it bleeding on the ground
Because he cannot stop me
Who am I? I AM A CHAMPION!
DarkDays

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »

Ugly game.   As Admiral Akbar once proclaimed; "It's a trap! (game)"

I rarely leave early, but as I told my neighbors when they joked about getting out their keys to jangle at me:  "I paid money for this buffet, and the only thing left out there is fried turd."

Good stuff:

The players who showed up, but who always show up and play hard: Mo, Knox Santos, O line, Harris, et al.

The fleaflicker, Adams to Harris, of course.

Bad stuff:

Gonna skip the merely bad stuff.

Ugly stuff:

Perplexing offensive play calls - no real use of Harris until the club was already behind.  If you can't install a run game, because of the fierce Ticat rush, then roll Harris into the flat and build a short pass game.

The D coaches need to study this game, and figure out what to do about a team with a running game and a quick back.  Might happen again this year, y'know.

Sending eight on Mazzoli at any time.  You don't do that.  He's a "hard bodied dog", as they say at the kennel club.  He doesn't flinch, and reads and reacts to heat really well.  Sending eight means he can make you pay by moving a little and picking the big swath of field he likes best.

The prospect of playing without Nichols.  Davis ain't ready yet.  LeFevour can play exactly 2.5 games before he has a season ending injury.  That's his past history.

The prospect of losing Flanders.  Guy keeps growing into a bigger role every week.

The criminal stuff:

Bradbury and staff should have been urine tested at half time and taken into custody for their own good.  They missed a lot out there (understatement), and created some calls out of ozone.   Whatever Al and the boys were on last night, I want a baggie of that for my next birthday.

The new challenge rules - Bradbury should have been challenged early and often.  Giving coaches one flag, with no refund when you show up the zebras, is quantuum foolishness.  It meant MOS had to watch Nichols take a head shot on a turnover, and decide to keep the flag in his pocket to save "for later".  Serious turning point of the game.  All because that crew was obviously gonna make an even more game changing blown call later.

Frankly, Ambrosie got this rule change absolutely wrong.  What The Commish didn't like was having a national fan base watch coaches figuratively pull down the pants of the officiating crew over and over again with successful challenges, and adding a half hour to games.  I disagree.  A commitment to getting calls right sure beats a nation of fans using their PVRs to roll back the play, mutter "bush league" to themselves, and turn off the CFL game. 

Once of those games that the team and fans need to shake off.  Hopefully we're not stuck with The Dominique Davis Experience (jazz fusion combo from the 60s) next week.

I still want that baggie from Al Bradbury's stash, though....

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:57:15 PM by DarkDays » Logged

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
The Zipp

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »

Good

Leggett - always shows up to play.
Jeffcoat - really establishing himself as a bookend to Westerman.
Getting a solid look at Davis.
Getting an OK look at Wolitarski.
Coats seems to be improving every game and making the most of his opportunities.
Great weather for fall football.

Bad

Santos-Knox - he was getting manhandled a lot and although I like his physicality, his short fuse could have really hurt us a couple of times (I was surprised he didn't get flagged), especially if the game had been closer/meant more. You can't take selfish penalties at this time of year.
Hurl - we really saw the limit of Hurl's athleticism. He's fine plugging gaps and playing the LoS, but he's awful in any type of coverage.
Davis - nice to get a look but he was a deer in headlights a lot of the time. Still needs lots of time/work.
Watching half a game knowing even the WBB had essentially written it off.
Momentum killers - I'm not going to blame the refs because they were close calls (evidenced by no challenges) but the PI on Walker in the first half was pretty bogus IMO (solid jam and aggressive play to the ball with a textbook breakup is not - or should not be - PI), and the 3rd down gamble that looked pretty **** iffy after a huge stop by the WBB (IMO the officials should never call something that close a success, and the burden of proof should be on the offense to clearly make the gain - because they gambled - not on the defense to emphatically stop them). The offside forward pass by Thomas to Leggett on his TD was another. These were all bad luck momentum killers that could have really changed the pace of the game in the WBBs favour.

Ugly

Nichols getting injured. Hopefully it isn't serious.
Randle not respecting Bank's speed on the first TD.
The punt recovery (you can believe that was a huge slap to the face for MOS that he won't soon forget).
Such poor attendance when we were 10-3 on a gorgeous night.

Edit: Although the game was tough to watch, sometimes these instances are good later in a season to keep everyone honest. Blue tinted goggles? Maybe. But I'd wager the tone at practice this week is going to be a lot more serious than if we'd rolled over the Cats, which might be a good thing.

Are you referring to the convert return by leggett? That wasn't a TD - it would only have been 2 points.  Would have been nice to get the points but I don't think it would have changed the game. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: