Blue Bombers Forum
December 11, 2017, 04:12:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the Ti Cats trade Collaros?
Yes trade him before the Oct 11 deadline - 12 (33.3%)
Yes trade him but only if you get a great deal - 8 (22.2%)
Yes trade him but not until next season - 1 (2.8%)
Don't trade him this year - 7 (19.4%)
Don't trade him and keep him until his contract is up - 4 (11.1%)
Don't know - 4 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trade Collaros? What do you think?  (Read 3107 times)
Tiger

« on: October 06, 2017, 03:48:44 AM »

I think Collaros is a good QB with a bad oline which makes him look worse because of mobility. I can't believe people are talking about trading him or a second string QB. 

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Tehedra

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:00:13 AM »

If Masoli is going to be their quarterback going forward; they need some other tools on the team and he should be able to command some significant value.  I do not believe he would stay with the team as a back-up quarterback so might as well get something for him while you can instead of waiting until you can't.

It is also worth freeing up the cap space which will help with roster planning for the next season.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 05:51:21 AM »

Collaros can be good if given the right tools.  He could flourish under LaPolice's system if we could afford to carry his salary.
BomberPride

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:34:38 AM »

Collaros best year was 2015 - 70% completion, 3376 yds, 25-8 TD to Int ratio in 12 games. The year he blew his ACL, I believe. He's been on a slow decline since, and hasn't been able to stay healthy for a full season.

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?
bowlerdude

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »

Given injury issues, losing his job to Masoli, their season being more or less done so the depth doesn't matter as much... yeah, they definitely should trade Collaros. They won't find a trade partner for him though, especially not on his current deal.
gbill2004

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

No one is going to trade for him at his current salary of around $500k.  He will most likely be released this offseason and then signed to a backup QB salary in the $200k range. 
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 12:55:38 PM »

No one is going to trade for him at his current salary of around $500k.  He will most likely be released this offseason and then signed to a backup QB salary in the $200k range. 

I agree. I can't realistically see anyone knocking on that door right now. His contract is ridiculous.

He needs a change of scenery. Maybe he can fight for a starting role elsewhere.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
1chad

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »

His salary is an albatros.  I think he would benefit from a change of scenery - Toronto or Montreal need a young QB
TBURGESS

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »

Should they trade him? Absolutely. He hasn't won a game in a year or more.

Could they trade him? Doubtful. No one is going to take on that huge contract for a broken down QB.

Being right never gets old.
lenny

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »

Can't trade him without him and his agent agreeing to renegotiate the contract. But to do that Ti-Cats would have to:

(1) Allow the interested team to speak to him

(2) He agrees to their terms

(3) Ti-Cats agree to the trade as a result

Jesse

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »

Sure, they should try. No one is going to want to give anything up for him.
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »

I love the idea of playing against Masoli, a guy we've picked 5 times in the 2 games we have played against him....I'm fully in favour of Hamilton trading away the once best QB the CFL has seen since Doug Flutie who is what 0-10 in his last 10 starts. Collaros injury issues may mean the Ti-Cats may not get a lot for him

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
BlueInCgy

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »

He's all but said he's not going to play for the Tiger Cats next year (as per an article on cfl.ca).  But yeah, clearly his salary is stopping anyone from biting now, when they can just wait for him to get cut in the off season.

If Edmonton and BC win this weekend and the Riders lose (and don't show up offensively, like they haven't in the past few games), be interesting to see if Jones might go full desperation.  I doubt it, but realistically it's the only spot now that Harris is off the IR.  Montreal will be happy to replace Durant with him in the off season if they don't get Franklin.
theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »

Just saying, Walters traded Willy, with an albatross contract, and got a 1st overall and a Int All Star...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »

Just saying, Walters traded Willy, with an albatross contract, and got a 1st overall and a Int All Star...

The trade deadline is in five days and I can't see a GM pulling a Barker.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »

Willys contract wasn't as bad; he made much less not starting. Apparently Collaros is making $500k whether he starts or not.
theaardvark

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »

Something tells me Collaros gets into the game tonight... Masoli had a horrible time last time he was here, the noise may just kill him. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »

Isn't Collaros an elite QB.....elites get the most money right ?
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 10:34:22 PM »

Should they trade him? Absolutely. He hasn't won a game in a year or more.

Could they trade him? Doubtful. No one is going to take on that huge contract for a broken down QB.

Agree.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 03:04:41 AM »

Something tells me Collaros gets into the game tonight... Masoli had a horrible time last time he was here, the noise may just kill him. 

As usual you are totally wrong! Cheesy
thunderNlightning

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 03:13:39 AM »

If we traded for Collaros as insurance, do we only eat a portion of his cap? I really do not feel comfortable with Davis as our backup when were close to being able to challenge for a cup offensively.
DM83

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 04:00:51 AM »

Davis sucks.  A joke.
Blue72

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 04:11:33 AM »

Davis should be our 3rd string and move Lefevour up, Davis is bigger for short 3 and 1 or 2 and Lefevour could do both and has more experience as a QB.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 04:12:32 AM »

Davis sucks.  A joke.

What utter nonsense.  This was his first game reps of the year...and off the bench to boot.  He did what most would expect him to do coming in cold.  There is no basis or back up for a remark like that.  Some comments, like this are, dare I say a Joke, and insulting to the player!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
kkc60

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 04:21:33 AM »

Davis sucks.  A joke.

Yet another rash,uninformed and degrading comment about a player by...DM83!
Ridermania

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »

If Nichols is out long term, which I really hope he is back quickly, maybe the Bombers look at Collaros.

If BC wins or stumbles again today, they may even take a run at him for the play-off stretch.

If Collaros is even traded, Hamilton would need to eat some of his contract.

gbill2004

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »

What utter nonsense.  This was his first game reps of the year...and off the bench to boot.  He did what most would expect him to do coming in cold.  There is no basis or back up for a remark like that.  Some comments, like this are, dare I say a Joke, and insulting to the player!
Uh, that's the job of a backup.  If the backup needs to get a ton of reps in order to be effective...well they aren't going to be a very good backup.  The reality is backups don't get many reps and when the come into the game, they are expected to perform.  If they don't, then they won't be employed very long. 
DM83

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

If. The Bombers want to be a player in the playoffs they need a QB.  Dom Davis should go play in the Collective touch football league.  Bombers and Walters need to trade for Collaros.  Figure out the details and just do it. He has ten years left,based on past performance.  Or is he damaged goods.

Bombers are nothing without Nicholls. And maybe even with him they are still woeful in controlling a game.
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »

Uh, that's the job of a backup.  If the backup needs to get a ton of reps in order to be effective...well they aren't going to be a very good backup.  The reality is backups don't get many reps and when the come into the game, they are expected to perform.  If they don't, then they won't be employed very long. 

This loss was on the team not one player.  The Bombers didn't get it done with either Nichols or Davis or anyone last night.  The comment "Davis sucks. A joke" was, and is, nonsense.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_gold_84

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »

With how poorly the team was playing last night, you'd have to be delusional to expect Davis to step in and suddenly turn things around. C'mon, man.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »

With how poorly the team was playing last night, you'd have to be delusional to expect Davis to step in and suddenly turn things around. C'mon, man.
He put up zero points in an entire half. I do expect more then that.
blue_gold_84

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »

He put up zero points in an entire half. I do expect more then that.

The Bombers scored a FG in the third quarter.

Nichols wasn't getting the job done, so I don't know why you'd think a backup QB going in cold would be any different.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »

The Bombers scored a FG in the third quarter.

Nichols wasn't getting the job done, so I don't know why you'd think a backup QB going in cold would be any different.
I think we win the game if Nichols doesn't get injured. 
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »

Not when the defence leaves hamiltons offence on the field in the fourth for like 9 minutes straight or something like that......an Matt didn't do anything with the time he was in....so it's possible it could have got even worse out there for the offence....just wasn't his night. Or maybe he "iced" up like a frozen Manitoba vehicle in mid January lol...
blue_gold_84

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »

Yeah, not with how poorly the defense played last night.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »

Yeah, not with how poorly the defense played last night.
D may have been on the field less with more sustained drives on offense.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 03:35:57 AM »

Nichols would have score more points and kept the D off the field late

I don't think we should have one but he would have made it close

I wasn't happy with Lapo's play calling

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 03:39:45 AM »

Nichols would have score more points and kept the D off the field late

but he didn't......so much for "matty-ice" .....now back to work an fix this
66 Chevelle

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2017, 03:51:30 AM »

mmm... we were losing when he went out and wasn't showing any signs of turning things around... but as long as you believe that in your mind...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2017, 03:59:19 AM »

What did your gf think ?
kkc60

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2017, 04:31:21 AM »

but he didn't......so much for "matty-ice" .....now back to work an fix this
What? What does being called "matty-ice" have to do with anything?
gbill2004

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »

What did your gf think ?
Huh
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »

What? What does being called "matty-ice" have to do with anything?

Never lived up to his nick name ..
kkc60

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »

Never lived up to his nick name ..
How so? Have you not seen any of our comeback wins? The way you go out of your way to criticize Nichols for anything is honestly a little childish
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »

How so? Have you not seen any of our comeback wins? The way you go out of your way to criticize Nichols for anything is honestly a little childish

Criticize for anything...that's a bit of a stretch ain't it....lol. The only "ice" Matt had going Friday night was on his hand. And it's just an opinion, this place is full of them..
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 03:23:17 PM »

Criticize for anything...that's a bit of a stretch ain't it....lol. The only "ice" Matt had going Friday night was on his hand. And it's just an opinion, this place is full of them..

That is an odd position to take.  He looks relaxed and not freaking out when we are down in the 4th quarter of games.  Has confidence that we'll pull it out.  That is "ice"
DeeBoy

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »

No to Collaros.
IMO Davis did a respectable job coming off the bench. He ran the offence that was called for him in a competent manner. It?s certainly not his fault 2 easily catchable balls were dropped that killed drives..

Not Worthy Of A Response
kkc60

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »

I wish it was a stretch. Okay so your overall point is Nichols nickname is invalid because he got injured?
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »

I wish it was a stretch. Okay so your overall point is Nichols nickname is invalid because he got injured?

JMO that it ain't a good nickname....plus it's all ready being used so it's not very original either
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »

JMO that it ain't a good nickname....plus it's all ready being used so it's not very original either

This from NorthernSkunk......interesting.

NorthernSkunk

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »

This from NorthernSkunk......interesting.

I live in northern Manitoba...and "Skunk" rhymes with my first name. And it was given to me by friends over 30 years ago. Way more original than some I would say.
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »

I live in northern Manitoba...and "Skunk" rhymes with my first name. And it was given to me by friends over 30 years ago. Way more original than some I would say.

My point exactly. You have a reason for your nickname and I am certain Matt Nichols does as well.  Now back to the Trade Collaros discussion.

dd

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2017, 05:08:03 PM »

No to Collaros.
IMO Davis did a respectable job coming off the bench. He ran the offence that was called for him in a competent manner. It?s certainly not his fault 2 easily catchable balls were dropped that killed drives..
I agree. Davis certainly performed adequate to say the least. He scrambled to buy time, as as a rookie, he can't easily spot open recievers/read defenses, and this is understandable and will improve with time. There is no need to trade for Collaros or anyone else for that matter for a backup for us, as in addition to Davis, we have DL, so we're good there.

What we need is consistency from our receiving corps, so they don't drop easy catches and kill drives. Adams dropped 2 easy passes, and Coates dropped one that were drive killers that had little to do with Davis
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2017, 05:22:03 PM »

I agree we don't need collaros....Dom the bomb can get er done.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:19 PM »

I agree. Davis certainly performed adequate to say the least. He scrambled to buy time, as as a rookie, he can't easily spot open recievers/read defenses, and this is understandable and will improve with time. There is no need to trade for Collaros or anyone else for that matter for a backup for us, as in addition to Davis, we have DL, so we're good there.

What we need is consistency from our receiving corps, so they don't drop easy catches and kill drives. Adams dropped 2 easy passes, and Coates dropped one that were drive killers that had little to do with Davis

Wolitarsky.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 03:22:44 AM »

I hate the idea of having two high-priced #1 QB's, like BC and (lesser extent) EDM, or even MTL.  I'd rather spend the SMS elsewhere (we need it!) and pin our hopes on the #1 being uninjured when we need him.  It's working quite well this year, except for 1 half of 1 game.  (I doubt Nichols is out of the next game.)

BB is all about Nichols.  We lose Nichols, we lose nearly every game.  If he really is going to be out, I pray it's just until the playoffs.

Even if Collaros comes here tomorrow, we'll still lose without Nichols.  Heck, there's a chance Collaros does worse than Dom would!

Speaking of Dom, he's a competent #2.  He did better than 75% of the no-game-reps #2's that have stepped in in the CFL in the last 3 years.  If he's our man for the rest of 2017 (heaven forbid), he'll improve quite nicely, but not fast enough to win us anything useful.  (And hooksliding on those 2 plays was painful... try for the first down, impress us in your first important game reps, you're the #2, and therefore expendable.)
dd

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2017, 03:44:35 AM »

Forget about Collaros and his high priced contract. Dom did better than a half of football than Collaros did all
Season. We re fine without him
The Zipp

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »

not going anywhere this season anyways...

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/11/ticats-say-collaros-staying-put-deadline-day/
bowlerdude

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »

Speaking of Dom, he's a competent #2.  He did better than 75% of the no-game-reps #2's that have stepped in in the CFL in the last 3 years.

I really don't think he did, he looked totally lost if he had to do anything other than throw it at his first read
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »

Someone somewhere on Facebook suggested that the Bombers should try to bring in Collaros as a backup to Nichols because Nichols is getting "old". If that person actually did their research they would realize that Nichols is only 30 years old and Collaros is 29. Now Both have had past injury issues but with Collaros's recent struggles in Hamilton one would think Nichols has shown he is mentally tougher than Collaros.
It seems to me like Collaros is like Willy, a few injuries took mentally took them away from playing at their full potential, and if you continue to struggle to reach that full potential someone else will steal your job. Don't believe me see: Matt Nichols and Jeremiah Masoli....further how did Bo Levi Mitchell become a starter?

Random stat: Out of Starting QB's that have started 18 or more games in their CFL careers only, Ray(.514), Reilly(.554), Lulay(.609), Mitchell(.846), Nichols(.600) and Jennings(.529) have above .500 winning records.

I personally think that the Bombers should be looking at the Alouettes roster to see who's available to possibly help make the team stronger for the final 4 games and a strong playoff push. Guys like Bowman and Cox are consistent veteran leaders. Thing is Cox and Leggett play the same role and judging solely on stats Cox is producing on the tackle end like he always does but may have lost his "big play" abilities that he's been so well at doing in the past. So Cox probably wouldnt help unless he went back to a DB role. Bowman is still Bowman, he could be a potential upgrade on Okpalaugo but I'm thinking Okpalaugo could still find his 2014/2015 form.
More Alouettes to consider Jackson, Underwood and Lewis. Jackson hasnt been fully utilized in Montreal being a 31 yr old WR could be properly utilized in WPG even if its just for the remainder of this season. Underwood is also a 30 year old WR like Jackson not being fully utilized and also a BIG play WR. Lewis, if you need a 8 yard gain theres a high probability that he can get you that 8 yards. Thing is for us if we are looking at 8 yards we are probably going to Harris or Flanders on a dump pass. Chances are if Lewis goes anywhere its probably back to Calgary.
Adams is our #1 BIG PLAY guy, it would be nice to add a sure fire #2 BIG PLAY WR for the rest of the season. IMO I'd want Ernest Jackson. Championship contenders generally have at least 2 on their roster and we have guys like Denmark and maybe Dressler but don't use them the way we could use a Jackson.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: