Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2017, 12:42:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you think it's disrespectful for players to sit or kneel during the national anthem?  (Voting closed: October 08, 2017, 08:58:48 PM)
Yes - 7 (29.2%)
No - 15 (62.5%)
Undecided - 2 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kneeling/Sitting during the National Anthem  (Read 1530 times)
swansong

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 01:51:59 AM »

Well there's those too but don't say "nah" to my previous comment when it is also accurate. A lot of those people you describe are white and uneducated.

So you need a degree to disagree with sitting out the anthem? Lots of educated people in the Senate and Congress that don't support the players choosing to take a knee.

Freedom to me means not standing during the anthem if you want but to people indoctrinated from an early age it is akin to treason. Pretty sure there's laws on the books in the states against burning or defacing a piece of cloth. The attitude is deeply ingrained.
swansong

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 01:54:32 AM »

Do tuques  count as hats, cause I seen lots of those being worn at the Ottawa game Friday night

Lol . . . probably not as they are for protection from the cold. Not sure about IGF but I've heard P.A. announcers at other stadiums specifically tell people to remove their hats during the anthem.
gbill2004

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 02:01:42 AM »

So you need a degree to disagree with sitting out the anthem? Lots of educated people in the Senate and Congress that don't support the players choosing to take a knee.

Freedom to me means not standing during the anthem if you want but to people indoctrinated from an early age it is akin to treason. Pretty sure there's laws on the books in the states against burning or defacing a piece of cloth. The attitude is deeply ingrained.
No I didn't say that. Nothing is ever an absolute.  But it's a fact that a huge majority of Trump supporters are the uneducated white.
swansong

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 02:03:13 AM »

No I didn't say that. Nothing is ever an absolute.  But it's a fact that a huge majority of Trump supporters are the uneducated white.

Fair enough . . . but there are many football fans that are not onside with the kneeling. Surely you're not saying football fans are a bunch of uneducated mouth breathers.
theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 02:23:30 AM »

The thing that bothers me most is that the protest is not against the flag or anthem, but actually in defense of them. 

These protests are saying "we hold these symbols dear, but they are not being lived up to through the racial injustice that exists". 

Yet Trump et al are framing this as a protest against the flag and anthem and country.  That the protesters are anti America.  Which is just wrong.  They are asking for the America the constitution demands, the basis for America -  "life, liberty and the perfuit of happineff"

Trump is jealous of the NFL, he blew a ton of money on the NJ Generals and trying to make the USFL competitive with the NFL, and they soul-crushed him. 

The funniest thing is, I would bet dollars to donuts that the rating for the NFL will get a bump from the attention Trump is focusing on them.  And his horrible approval rating is going to take a hit, because he is attacking the second biggest sport his supporters live for.  Now, if he were to attack NASCAR, you could bet he'd be out of the White House in a matter of days...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 02:23:41 AM »

Fair enough . . . but there are many football fans that are not onside with the kneeling. Surely you're not saying football fans are a bunch of uneducated mouth breathers.
Did you miss the part where I said nothing is ever absolute?
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 02:44:13 AM »

I?m a very political person and work in a highly politicized environment every day. There are always many views, and they all need to be respected. They are part of the democratic discourse that makes our society truly great.

I respect the athletes who have chosen to stand, kneel, object...all in the name of peaceful protest.

I have seen Matt Nichols like some tweets in support of those protesting, and have seen other Bomber players tweet in support.

I abhor the decision by the Pittsburgh Penguins to still visit the White House in light of Trump?s comments and actions. I respect their right to make that choice, but I fundamentally disagree with it. Their owner and captain are Canadians. They have worn the flag. They represent more than their team.

NEXT YEAR XXVI
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 02:55:00 AM »

I?m a very political person and work in a highly politicized environment every day. There are always many views, and they all need to be respected. They are part of the democratic discourse that makes our society truly great.

I respect the athletes who have chosen to stand, kneel, object...all in the name of peaceful protest.

I have seen Matt Nichols like some tweets in support of those protesting, and have seen other Bomber players tweet in support.

I abhor the decision by the Pittsburgh Penguins to still visit the White House in light of Trump?s comments and actions. I respect their right to make that choice, but I fundamentally disagree with it. Their owner and captain are Canadians. They have worn the flag. They represent more than their team.

They were pretty clear that they respect the White House and the Office of the President, without mentioning Trump's name... it might almost be a better protest to go..  depending on how they interact with Trump.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 03:07:29 AM »

That is true, but I suspect they would be smiling and jovial. Hockey is the least diverse team sport. They could have chosen to stand with their colleagues in other leagues. They did not.

NEXT YEAR XXVI
Tiger

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 03:12:06 AM »

For the record I would be willing to bet that if you didn't stand or remove your hat during the anthem at a Bomber's game someone would get offended and call you out for it.

WEARING A HAT DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM

Just to be clear, if you are or have served in the military you need not remove your hat as you have earned it.  Yes this is a rule.  You will always see military wearing headgear.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 04:15:26 AM »

Lol . . . probably not as they are for protection from the cold. Not sure about IGF but I've heard P.A. announcers at other stadiums specifically tell people to remove their hats during the anthem.

The hats I have worn in the past were for protection as well (?)....why does the cold get a pass?
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 04:18:03 AM »

As Goldmemember said...Donald Drumph is one topic we can all pretty much agree on.....some interesting perspectives about freedom and the veneration of the flag.   Trump is an outright dyed in the wool fascist.....it's all about money and money is God.   Like it infers on the US dollar bill....  " In God We Trust " ....all others pay cash!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:12:23 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 04:19:45 AM »

They were pretty clear that they respect the White House and the Office of the President, without mentioning Trump's name... it might almost be a better protest to go..  depending on how they interact with Trump.
Thats a great perspective!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
TecnoGenius

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 04:35:11 AM »

People watch football to get away from politics and normal daily rigmarole.  I know I do.  I like how the CFL & TSN keep politics out of it 95% of the time.  NFL & ESPN (owned by Disney) way overstep the line, and as such will alienate entire swathes of viewers.  (10% of ESPN subscribers, 12M households, have cancelled in the last 6 years.)

Keep football football.  Don't politicize yet another aspect of life.  There's plenty of other forums to get your daily dose of politics.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »

People watch football to get away from politics and normal daily rigmarole.  I know I do.  I like how the CFL & TSN keep politics out of it 95% of the time.  NFL & ESPN (owned by Disney) way overstep the line, and as such will alienate entire swathes of viewers.  (10% of ESPN subscribers, 12M households, have cancelled in the last 6 years.)

Keep football football.  Don't politicize yet another aspect of life.  There's plenty of other forums to get your daily dose of politics.

I agree. Beer n football....not beer n politics
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: