Blue Bombers Forum
December 13, 2017, 06:21:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you think it's disrespectful for players to sit or kneel during the national anthem?  (Voting closed: October 08, 2017, 08:58:48 PM)
Yes - 7 (29.2%)
No - 15 (62.5%)
Undecided - 2 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kneeling/Sitting during the National Anthem  (Read 2879 times)
jets4life

« on: September 24, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »

I just thought I would put this question out there, since it's making huge news in the United States, with Trump and the NFL.
Jesse

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:31:57 PM »

It's all under the umbrella of free speech, imo.

Was I in their position today, after hearing the POTUS say they should be fired from their jobs for exercising their first amendment right, I'd be kneeling too.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:49:14 PM »

Mitch White (Argos) has joined the movement against Trump and for racial equality in the USA (retweet)

Interesting to see if other CFL players follow suit

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
gbill2004

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:54:30 PM »

Mitch White (Argos) has joined the movement against Trump and for racial equality in the USA (retweet)

Interesting to see if other CFL players follow suit

Riders locked arms during the anthem today.

Kevin Glenn has spoken out against Trump on Twitter.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »

I think it's safe to assume everyone is against trump on that stupid remark!

It was a bloody ******** thing to say.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
pjrocksmb

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »

Riders locked arms during the anthem today.

Kevin Glenn has spoken out against Trump on Twitter.

awesome

gbill2004

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »

I think it's safe to assume everyone is against trump on that stupid remark!

It was a bloody ******** thing to say.
It's crazy, but LOTS of Americans supports Trumps comments. Mostly uneducated white Americans.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:10:54 PM »

It's crazy, but LOTS of Americans supports Trumps comments. Mostly uneducated white Americans.
  agree
and rich racists

and religious right wing

pjrocksmb

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 11:15:44 PM »

I posted a similar discussion in CFL room, I didn't realize this was here, mod can join em if they want

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 11:49:17 PM »

Ugh it's ugly

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 11:59:19 PM »

I personally don't like it. To protest during an anthem to me is taking things to far.

But I understand why they are doing it down there. Things are so screwed up in the States!!

Not that things are perfect in Canada but down there things are screwed up unbelievably. Trumps statement was beyond idiocy however he is exposing the problems down there with his idiotic statements.

Could you imagine having to live in the states now?!?!?

Thanks but no thanks.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:22:57 AM by GOLDMEMBER » Logged

jeremy q public

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 12:47:02 AM »

Hard to believe there might be a topic that everybody on this board agrees on. But if such a thing exists, it would have to be this topic.
swansong

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 01:35:20 AM »

Nah. They're propagandized from birth to revere the flag, the anthem, the country. School kids still recite the pledge of allegiance in many states.

We have our own version of it here, as well. Like military appreciation night at games. It's really nothing more than advertising for military recruitment. Guys like Suitor get all weepy about how Canadian soldiers are fighting for our freedom, lol, as if. Unless things like guarding poppy fields in Afghanistan is for our "freedom" . . . or fighting in Syria is for anyone other than Israel and central bankers.

For the record I would be willing to bet that if you didn't stand or remove your hat during the anthem at a Bomber's game someone would get offended and call you out for it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:37:15 AM by swansong » Logged
gbill2004

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 01:42:41 AM »

Nah. They're propagandized from birth to revere the flag, the anthem, the country. School kids still recite the pledge of allegiance in many states.

We have our own version of it here, as well. Like military appreciation night at games. It's really nothing more than advertising for military recruitment. Guys like Suitor get all weepy about how Canadian soldiers are fighting for our freedom, lol, as if. Unless things like guarding poppy fields in Afghanistan is for our "freedom" . . . or fighting in Syria is for anyone other than Israel and central bankers.

For the record I would be willing to bet that if you didn't stand or remove your hat during the anthem at a Bomber's game someone would get offended and call you out for it.
Well there's those too but don't say "nah" to my previous comment when it is also accurate. A lot of those people you describe are white and uneducated.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 01:46:31 AM »

Do tuques  count as hats, cause I seen lots of those being worn at the Ottawa game Friday night
swansong

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 01:51:59 AM »

Well there's those too but don't say "nah" to my previous comment when it is also accurate. A lot of those people you describe are white and uneducated.

So you need a degree to disagree with sitting out the anthem? Lots of educated people in the Senate and Congress that don't support the players choosing to take a knee.

Freedom to me means not standing during the anthem if you want but to people indoctrinated from an early age it is akin to treason. Pretty sure there's laws on the books in the states against burning or defacing a piece of cloth. The attitude is deeply ingrained.
swansong

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 01:54:32 AM »

Do tuques  count as hats, cause I seen lots of those being worn at the Ottawa game Friday night

Lol . . . probably not as they are for protection from the cold. Not sure about IGF but I've heard P.A. announcers at other stadiums specifically tell people to remove their hats during the anthem.
gbill2004

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 02:01:42 AM »

So you need a degree to disagree with sitting out the anthem? Lots of educated people in the Senate and Congress that don't support the players choosing to take a knee.

Freedom to me means not standing during the anthem if you want but to people indoctrinated from an early age it is akin to treason. Pretty sure there's laws on the books in the states against burning or defacing a piece of cloth. The attitude is deeply ingrained.
No I didn't say that. Nothing is ever an absolute.  But it's a fact that a huge majority of Trump supporters are the uneducated white.
swansong

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 02:03:13 AM »

No I didn't say that. Nothing is ever an absolute.  But it's a fact that a huge majority of Trump supporters are the uneducated white.

Fair enough . . . but there are many football fans that are not onside with the kneeling. Surely you're not saying football fans are a bunch of uneducated mouth breathers.
theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 02:23:30 AM »

The thing that bothers me most is that the protest is not against the flag or anthem, but actually in defense of them. 

These protests are saying "we hold these symbols dear, but they are not being lived up to through the racial injustice that exists". 

Yet Trump et al are framing this as a protest against the flag and anthem and country.  That the protesters are anti America.  Which is just wrong.  They are asking for the America the constitution demands, the basis for America -  "life, liberty and the perfuit of happineff"

Trump is jealous of the NFL, he blew a ton of money on the NJ Generals and trying to make the USFL competitive with the NFL, and they soul-crushed him. 

The funniest thing is, I would bet dollars to donuts that the rating for the NFL will get a bump from the attention Trump is focusing on them.  And his horrible approval rating is going to take a hit, because he is attacking the second biggest sport his supporters live for.  Now, if he were to attack NASCAR, you could bet he'd be out of the White House in a matter of days...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 02:23:41 AM »

Fair enough . . . but there are many football fans that are not onside with the kneeling. Surely you're not saying football fans are a bunch of uneducated mouth breathers.
Did you miss the part where I said nothing is ever absolute?
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 02:44:13 AM »

I?m a very political person and work in a highly politicized environment every day. There are always many views, and they all need to be respected. They are part of the democratic discourse that makes our society truly great.

I respect the athletes who have chosen to stand, kneel, object...all in the name of peaceful protest.

I have seen Matt Nichols like some tweets in support of those protesting, and have seen other Bomber players tweet in support.

I abhor the decision by the Pittsburgh Penguins to still visit the White House in light of Trump?s comments and actions. I respect their right to make that choice, but I fundamentally disagree with it. Their owner and captain are Canadians. They have worn the flag. They represent more than their team.

NEXT YEAR XXVI...XXVII
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 02:55:00 AM »

I?m a very political person and work in a highly politicized environment every day. There are always many views, and they all need to be respected. They are part of the democratic discourse that makes our society truly great.

I respect the athletes who have chosen to stand, kneel, object...all in the name of peaceful protest.

I have seen Matt Nichols like some tweets in support of those protesting, and have seen other Bomber players tweet in support.

I abhor the decision by the Pittsburgh Penguins to still visit the White House in light of Trump?s comments and actions. I respect their right to make that choice, but I fundamentally disagree with it. Their owner and captain are Canadians. They have worn the flag. They represent more than their team.

They were pretty clear that they respect the White House and the Office of the President, without mentioning Trump's name... it might almost be a better protest to go..  depending on how they interact with Trump.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 03:07:29 AM »

That is true, but I suspect they would be smiling and jovial. Hockey is the least diverse team sport. They could have chosen to stand with their colleagues in other leagues. They did not.

NEXT YEAR XXVI...XXVII
Tiger

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 03:12:06 AM »

WEARING A HAT DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM

Just to be clear, if you are or have served in the military you need not remove your hat as you have earned it.  Yes this is a rule.  You will always see military wearing headgear.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 04:15:26 AM »

Lol . . . probably not as they are for protection from the cold. Not sure about IGF but I've heard P.A. announcers at other stadiums specifically tell people to remove their hats during the anthem.

The hats I have worn in the past were for protection as well (?)....why does the cold get a pass?
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 04:18:03 AM »

As Goldmemember said...Donald Drumph is one topic we can all pretty much agree on.....some interesting perspectives about freedom and the veneration of the flag.   Trump is an outright dyed in the wool fascist.....it's all about money and money is God.   Like it infers on the US dollar bill....  " In God We Trust " ....all others pay cash!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:12:23 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 04:19:45 AM »

They were pretty clear that they respect the White House and the Office of the President, without mentioning Trump's name... it might almost be a better protest to go..  depending on how they interact with Trump.
Thats a great perspective!

TecnoGenius

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 04:35:11 AM »

People watch football to get away from politics and normal daily rigmarole.  I know I do.  I like how the CFL & TSN keep politics out of it 95% of the time.  NFL & ESPN (owned by Disney) way overstep the line, and as such will alienate entire swathes of viewers.  (10% of ESPN subscribers, 12M households, have cancelled in the last 6 years.)

Keep football football.  Don't politicize yet another aspect of life.  There's plenty of other forums to get your daily dose of politics.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »

People watch football to get away from politics and normal daily rigmarole.  I know I do.  I like how the CFL & TSN keep politics out of it 95% of the time.  NFL & ESPN (owned by Disney) way overstep the line, and as such will alienate entire swathes of viewers.  (10% of ESPN subscribers, 12M households, have cancelled in the last 6 years.)

Keep football football.  Don't politicize yet another aspect of life.  There's plenty of other forums to get your daily dose of politics.

I agree. Beer n football....not beer n politics
Colton

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 04:53:45 AM »

It is in no way disrespectful.
jets4life

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 05:07:38 AM »

Unfortunately, sports and politics have gone hand and hand since the beginning of time.  Just look at most of the Olympic games, the World Cup, etc. 
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 05:24:32 AM »

Thing is this.....you can't keep football and politics separate.....not even the Olympics!  Professional sport is big business run by large corporate owners who ascribe to the doctrine of making money and making money and politics have more or less been intertwined for many decades now.   At very high levels just about everything becomes politicized.....even music.   What's going on in the world with Trump threatening "fire and fury" raining down on any country that "dares" to defy the US flag....well even the distraction that is the game of football is being used as a vehicle to drive the corporate agenda. 

I'm proud of the Rider players for their show of solidarity and standing up for what's actually right....we all need to be doing this and if we did Trump wouldn't have an audience.   The fact that Trump has infiltrated our everyday lives is proof of this....he doesn't deserve any audience but he knows how to make one and how to divide them all and make them hostile.  Meanwhile he golfs.....poorly!   

jets4life

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 05:56:28 AM »

Thing is this.....you can't keep football and politics separate.....not even the Olympics!  Professional sport is big business run by large corporate owners who ascribe to the doctrine of making money and making money and politics have more or less been intertwined for many decades now.   At very high levels just about everything becomes politicized.....even music.   What's going on in the world with Trump threatening "fire and fury" raining down on any country that "dares" to defy the US flag....well even the distraction that is the game of football is being used as a vehicle to drive the corporate agenda. 

I'm proud of the Rider players for their show of solidarity and standing up for what's actually right....we all need to be doing this and if we did Trump wouldn't have an audience.   The fact that Trump has infiltrated our everyday lives is proof of this....he doesn't deserve any audience but he knows how to make one and how to divide them all and make them hostile.  Meanwhile he golfs.....poorly!   

Exactly.

Some examples:

Olympic Hockey- Soviet Union wins just about every Gold Medal, as their "amateurs" are actually the best players in the country, while Canada and the USA compete with mainly college and minor league players.
NHL Hockey- The Richard Riots were caused mainly by French Canadiens deep frustration with the establishment, what at the time was run by the Anglophone majority. 
1936 Olympics- Germany spent years training there athletes to win medals, in order to prove White Europeans were genetically superior to other races
1968 Olympics- two African Americans make a black power gesture at the podium.  They are expelled by the US.
1965 Boxing- Muhammad Ali  the greatest boxer in the world, forfeits his title, and refuses to fight in Vietnam.
1972 Olympics- Black September invades the Olympic Village and kidnaps and murders a dozen Israeli athletes, starting a war in the East
2002 NBA- The referees and the NBA rig Game 6, and cost the Sacramento Kings the series against the LA Lakers, since LA would draw higher TV ratings
30 years (1960-90)- Eastern European countries cheat in most sports to win medals.  It's later revealed that nearly all athletes from these regions were on performance enhancing drugs.  The motive was to prove Communist countries were athletically superior to democratic countries.
1972 Hockey Super Series- With the Russians in control of the series, Canadian coaches give orders to Bobby Clarke to injure Kharmalov, the Wayne Gretzky of the Soviet Union.  Kharmalov has his ankle broken, and it is the turning point of the series, as Canada wins the next 3 games.
1976 Olympic Boycott- African countries boycott Montreal Olympics since South Africa (with Apartheid) was allowed to compete.
1980 Olympic Boycott- US boycotts Olympics due to the Afghanistan invasion
1984 Olympic Boycott- USSR boycotts the LA Olympics as revenge.
MLB Baseball- cases of throwing a World Series at the beginning of the century.  At the end of the century, most stars would compete in home run contests were all using steroids.
1987 WJC- Canada plays Russia in the final.  Canada needs to win by 4 goals to win the Gold, while the Soviets are eliminated.  A Soviet player leaves the bench and starts a brawl that ends the game.  It's argued the purpose of the Soviets rushing from the bench was to get Canada disqualified, as the Russians had nothing to lose.
Every single Olympics and World Cup Soccer tourneys- widespread corruption in awarding the games to various cities
2002- figure skating controversies (bribery alleged).
1994 Colombia- Andres Escobar is assassinated by a Drug Cartel for accidentally scoring on his own net.  The cartel had bet heavily on Colombia.
1988 Olympics- Park Si Han of South Korea "wins" a match against Roy Jones Jr. after the Koreans bribe the judges into voting for the Korean.
Soccer- cases of countries going to war over soccer results.

It late and I could think of several more if I had the time, but sports and politics are intertwined.

swansong

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 06:24:08 AM »

Did you miss the part where I said nothing is ever absolute?

I just happen to think that calling people "uneducated" because they hold an opinion that has nothing to do with their level of education and everything to do with tradition/belief/indoctrination is simply dismissive. It's the same type of attitude that labels critical thinkers as "crazy" or "conspiracy theorists" as a way of dismissing their arguments without having to refute them.

There are a lot of pretty stupid, well educated, people. I guarantee a lot of them and the uneducated voted for Hillary. Frankly anyone that buys into the US 2 party system is pretty "uneducated" in my book.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 06:50:23 AM »

Unfortunately, sports and politics have gone hand and hand since the beginning of time.  Just look at most of the Olympic games, the World Cup, etc. 

Cuth or Suits once let slip on air that there's 3 things they can't talk about: religion, politics, and I can't remember the third.  And they all pretty much stick to it (with minor slips maybe twice a year).  CFL/TSN historically does a decent job of keeping it just football.

Even if you want to say CFL/TSN cast is political on the air, who cares, can't this forum be non-political?  I know I don't come here to debate politics with Winnipeggers.  Plenty of other forums on the net for that.  I get my political fix elsewhere.  BB forum is for planning our GC2017 celebrations!  (Oh, and complaining about Roc or Hurl.)
BomberPride

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »

TRIGGER WARNING

1) First and foremost - Military appreciation nights ARE NOT for recruiting purposes. Until you have served overseas, or any number of years in the military, I would really appreciate keeping the "guarding poppy fields in Afghanistan" TO YOURSELF. Families have lost sons and daughters, fathers and mothers over there. Have some bloody sensitivity and respect for those who have/are serving. THAT is why there's military appreciation nights.

2) Unless you need your hat to properly salute during the anthem (like the military NEEDS to do), take it off. It's two minutes. I promise you'll live.

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »

Is kneeling or sitting during the anthem disrespectful? First of all, disrespectful to whom and why? I'm not sure how it could be disrespectful to me personally and I'm not sure why I should feel disrespected even though certain people seem to think I should. Is it because I stand at attention at national anthems, so, therefore, those that don't have personally disrespected me? I like Canada. Does that mean I should feel slighted if someone else doesn't? Some people would have you think that. My question is why would you let them? Is it disrespectful to 'the country in general'? Possibly, but countries are simply landmasses which in and of itself, can't be offended. Countries are made up of people, which brings the question back around, to why should I feel offended?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:15:31 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »

Is kneeling or sitting during the anthem disrespectful? First of all, disrespectful to whom and why? I'm not sure how it could be disrespectful to me personally and I'm not sure why I should feel disrespected even though certain people seem to think I should. Is it because I stand at attention at national anthems, so, therefore, those that don't have personally disrespected me? I like Canada. Does that mean I should feel slighted if someone else doesn't? Some people would have you think that. My question is why would you let them? Is it disrespectful to 'the country in general'? Possibly, but countries are simply landmasses which in and of itself, can't be offended. Countries are made up of people, which brings the question back around, to why should I feel offended?

Right?

For me, I'm always curious who people tend to tie this to the military. Even if I accept that people do take standing during the anthem personally, why do people automatically go to the "it's disrespectful to those who have served" argument? Why do people serve if they are going to come back and have it dictated to people when and where they get to enjoy their freedoms?
jets4life

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 04:37:38 PM »

Right?

For me, I'm always curious who people tend to tie this to the military. Even if I accept that people do take standing during the anthem personally, why do people automatically go to the "it's disrespectful to those who have served" argument? Why do people serve if they are going to come back and have it dictated to people when and where they get to enjoy their freedoms?

Incidentally, standing during the anthem in the NHL was done for ages.  According to reports, it was only mandatory in the NFL beginning in 2009, and it had strong ties to the American military.

"It's a tribute to the NFL's ability to drape itself in the flag that nobody even realizes that ? prior to 2009 ? players being on the field for the national anthem wasn't even standard practice.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed this morning the practice began in 2009, adding, 'As you know, the NFL has a long tradition of patriotism. Players are encouraged but not required to stand for the anthem.'

Add in the fact that the NFL received millions of taxpayer dollars from the Department of Defense and the National Guard for patriotic displays, and it puts the entire Kaepernick hullabaloo in a different light
. "Fans should have confidence that their hometown heroes are being honored because of their honorable military service, not as a marketing ploy," Senator John McCain, the Vietnam War veteran and P.O.W., saidin a statement last year coinciding with "Tackling Paid Patriotism," a joint oversight report released by McCain and his fellow Arizona Republican Senator John Flake."

source: https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/yp89dj/stephen-a-smith-points-out-nfls-paid-patriotism-problem
Doublezero

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »

Why does there need to be any anthem prior to team sporting events at all? What is the purpose of it? Who started it? They don't play any anthem before a pro tennis match or F1 racing. You don't have an anthem before a golf tournament. You don't have it prior to other entertainment events such as a a rock concert or the ballet or symphony or theatre. Why not just eliminate the anthem entirely?

Just gimme the rock.
Colton

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »

Why does there need to be any anthem prior to team sporting events at all? What is the purpose of it? Who started it? They don't play any anthem before a pro tennis match or F1 racing. You don't have an anthem before a golf tournament. You don't have it prior to other entertainment events such as a a rock concert or the ballet or symphony or theatre. Why not just eliminate the anthem entirely?

I'm in agreement with this. I think it's fitting during international events where athletes/teams compete for their country, but to me it's out of place at CFL/NFL/NHL/etc games.
swansong

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:14 PM »

TRIGGER WARNING

1) First and foremost - Military appreciation nights ARE NOT for recruiting purposes. Until you have served overseas, or any number of years in the military, I would really appreciate keeping the "guarding poppy fields in Afghanistan" TO YOURSELF. Families have lost sons and daughters, fathers and mothers over there. Have some bloody sensitivity and respect for those who have/are serving. THAT is why there's military appreciation nights.

2) Unless you need your hat to properly salute during the anthem (like the military NEEDS to do), take it off. It's two minutes. I promise you'll live.

I guarantee that Drs, nurses, personal care home workers and teachers have done more for Canada, our families and children in the last 40 years than any soldier but oddly we don't hold appreciation nights for them. I don't know about Canada but in the US those "appreciation" events are paid for by the military. If it didn't benefit them do you think they'd pay for it?

The Taliban in Afghanistan was not an issue for the US til they refused to allow a pipeline to run through the country carrying oil from the former Soviet Union. Oddly enough after the US invaded they installed a former exec, Karzai, from Unocal, (the company that built the pipeline) to run the country. Pretty coincidental.

Not to mention the Taliban had basically eradicated poppy production in that country. Now? It's at it's highest level ever. Perfect for a country that uses the CIA to sell drugs to finance it's wars.

We invaded a country that did nothing to us . . . support cultivation of drugs . . . are pillaging their natural resources and killing their citizens but I should just shut up and respect them? Hooray for freedom!!!

Sorry but I have more respect for them when they assist with things like natural disasters.

Btw . . . who's really "triggered" here?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:54:47 PM by swansong » Logged
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 02:10:56 AM »

It's fine to discuss the merits of kneeling or not kneeling for national anthems.  Some posts have come dangerously close to a political discussion and that is against the rules here.  Just be conscious of that when posting.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Tiger

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 03:39:57 AM »

It's fine to discuss the merits of kneeling or not kneeling for national anthems.  Some posts have come dangerously close to a political discussion and that is against the rules here.  Just be conscious of that when posting.

Unfortunately it is a complicated political aspect of sports that has been further politicized in the current atmosphere by all Americans. Lets keep it a US problem. It's all about respect by all parties (or a lack thereof).  Let's continue to be respectful of all here in Canada.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 03:41:46 AM by Tiger » Logged

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
jeremy q public

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 04:19:09 AM »

This is a good question. However, I for one enjoy having a place where I still hear the anthem occasionally. If not for sports I would basically never hear it.
BomberPride

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »

I guarantee that Drs, nurses, personal care home workers and teachers have done more for Canada, our families and children in the last 40 years than any soldier but oddly we don't hold appreciation nights for them. I don't know about Canada but in the US those "appreciation" events are paid for by the military. If it didn't benefit them do you think they'd pay for it?

The Taliban in Afghanistan was not an issue for the US til they refused to allow a pipeline to run through the country carrying oil from the former Soviet Union. Oddly enough after the US invaded they installed a former exec, Karzai, from Unocal, (the company that built the pipeline) to run the country. Pretty coincidental.

Not to mention the Taliban had basically eradicated poppy production in that country. Now? It's at it's highest level ever. Perfect for a country that uses the CIA to sell drugs to finance it's wars.

We invaded a country that did nothing to us . . . support cultivation of drugs . . . are pillaging their natural resources and killing their citizens but I should just shut up and respect them? Hooray for freedom!!!

Sorry but I have more respect for them when they assist with things like natural disasters.

Btw . . . who's really "triggered" here?

I take it you've done a couple of tours overseas because you sound SO knowledgeable of what actually went on?

By all means, keep expressing your general ignorance towards the military. Make sure the next time you pass by a serviceman or woman say "thank you" for allowing you to have the freedom of expressing that opinion.

100% done.

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »

As stated earlier, political discussions are not permitted as per the Code of Conduct. 

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: