Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbill2004

Joe Morrow remains a Jet. 1 year agreement for $1 million.

Jockitch

Terrific ........ he played well in the short amount of games here
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

gbill2004

Quote from: Jockitch on June 27, 2018, 12:00:13 AM
Terrific ........ he played well in the short amount of games here
Makes me think another d-man is getting moved. Quite a logjam at the bottom pairing depth.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

We all have heard it said & every team seems to need depth on D.  Plug & play, for the extra 3 - 4 Dmen needed, beyond the initial top 6.
Yes it can be very crowded & a Kulikov (my choice) & his 4.333,333M Cap hit hopefully could be moved.  Chiarot, Poolman (RFA) & Morrow did a very good job
filling in for his spot & Enstroms per example. Sammy Niku may also be pressing for time.  I don't doubt that a cheaper journeyman could also be cheaply signed
via UFA, waivers, trade if the situation is warranted.
If Myers (with a large 5.5M) is moved, then Kulikov joins Morrissey & whom ever as our Lshot Dmen & I guess Poolman is on the RD

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_or_die

Solid.

I'm assuming this one year deal will act as infill for a year while Niku polishes his game for one last year with the Moose before jumping up to the bigs in 2019.
#Ride?

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 27, 2018, 01:22:54 PM
Solid.

I'm assuming this one year deal will act as infill for a year while Niku polishes his game for one last year with the Moose before jumping up to the bigs in 2019.

I can't see Niku not being in the opening day lineup.  He is a goal a game player at the NHL level ;).  But seriously, he came up and did not look out of place at all.  Not sure who the psychiatrist is that the Jets are using to interview these draft picks, but they all see to have a certain mindset that is quite refreshing. 

Probably more a 7-8 D to ride the pressbox that won't hurt you in case of injury.  Great move, really.  For both parties. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on June 27, 2018, 04:02:26 PM
I can't see Niku not being in the opening day lineup.  He is a goal a game player at the NHL level ;).  But seriously, he came up and did not look out of place at all.  Not sure who the psychiatrist is that the Jets are using to interview these draft picks, but they all see to have a certain mindset that is quite refreshing. 

Probably more a 7-8 D to ride the pressbox that won't hurt you in case of injury.  Great move, really.  For both parties. 

You could be right. I'm a big Niku fan and think no matter what he will be treated as a serious contender to make the team. I'm probably just being cautiously optimistic that they may not want to rush him. That said, it's possible he's proven everything he's going to in the A and giving him minutes in the bigs might be better for his development vs being a big fish in a small pond. Regardless, the quantity of those minutes is a big factor, as we want him playing all year regardless of what league. He can't be a bubble NHLer, and we have no reason to have to put him in that position.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 27, 2018, 01:22:54 PM
Solid.

I could see Niku moving up and down next season. And that's okay. So, having Morrow helps the depth significantly.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 27, 2018, 05:14:26 PM
I could see Niku moving up and down next season. And that's okay. So, having Morrow helps the depth significantly.
Ideally they keep Niku under 10 games which would prolong his ELC.

Jockitch

Was at jets Development Camp today.  Before the start, Vesalainen, apparently hurt, was on a seperate sheet with a trainer doing some shooting but not much skating
The 5 goalies were working on a few things.   After 7-10 minutes IcePlex aide told us to go to another sheet for the practice.

Session #1 was all Dmen & was very fast decision making, puck moving  ....... with goalies Radomsky from Steinbach (MJHL) & McGovern from Kootenay Ice (WHL)
Dylan Samberg (think he has a future) & Logan Stanley (looked more polished this camp) stood out for me, for various reasons.  Luke Green & Croix Evingson had good moments.
The others were showing less skill, powerful stride & balance ....... but oh so young, exuberant & green.    Surprised that Sami Niku "is not" listed to attend.

Session #2 was all Forwards, with an awful lot of handling pucks off the boards ..... with the same 2 goalies (incidentally, were both average or less)
Appleton was out there but was just okay. Gustafson just may turn out to be a very good selection.  Liked C.J. Suess, Lukas Craggs & Harkins for some good polish & skills

No Vesalainen as mentioned, Skylar McKenzie & I don't remember seeing Nathan Smith.  Goalies Berdin, Holm & Moe did not participate in either session.
.......  Dmen drills were much more enjoyable to watch.

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

TrueBlue75

From Frank Seravalli:

#nhljets unload Steve Mason, Joel Armia, a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick to #Habs in exchange for defenceman Simon Bourque. It?s a pure salary dump, opening space to re-sign Paul Stastny.

I am shocked Chevy was able to move Mason! I liked Armia but we have others just as good coming up. Nice work Chevy! Now get Stastny to sign on the line!!

gbill2004

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on June 30, 2018, 03:11:40 PM
From Frank Seravalli:

#nhljets unload Steve Mason, Joel Armia, a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick to #Habs in exchange for defenceman Simon Bourque. It?s a pure salary dump, opening space to re-sign Paul Stastny.

I am shocked Chevy was able to move Mason! I liked Armia but we have others just as good coming up. Nice work Chevy! Not get Stastny to sign on the line!!
I?m an Armia fan but if this cap space means we can sign Stastny then I like the trade.

New_Earth_Mud

#35.... The Godfather of Swag

TrueBlue75

And now Mason is on waivers for the purpose of a buyout. Would be funny if the Jets re-signed him at a decent price. As much as people are saying that Hutchinson probably burned his bridges with the Jets, I wouldn?t be surprised if he signs another deal with them. His wife is anchored here and he would be guaranteed the Jets backup, not the Moose starter. The next 24 hours should be exciting!