Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueBlue75

I initially was worried about the team having a week off, but now it means we likely will get a couple of good players back playing. Plus, it's been reported that the Jets have been practicing hard which means that their intensity is high. That's good news. I think the Jets will come out very strong on Friday and will be quick (hopefully) to silence their crowd. Jets FINALLY make CBC for a game that doesn't involve them playing the leafs  ::) Is it Friday yet??

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 25, 2018, 12:55:05 PM
Long term it?ll help, but I think it?ll hurt game one of the series.

Based on what...? The Predators have been sitting idle for two less days. Is that really an advantage after playing one more game in the first round?

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 25, 2018, 12:56:22 PM
I seem to recall after the Jets breaks this season, the first game back they were a little sluggish.

After the Christmas break (3 days), the Jets won three in a row and 4-0-1 over 5 games. After their bye week (6 days), they won 3 in a row and went 3-0-1 into the All-Star Break. After that break (4 days), they beat the lead-leaguing Lightning to go 3-1-1 through their next 5 games.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 25, 2018, 01:16:47 PM
Based on what...? The Predators have been sitting idle for two less days. Is that really an advantage after playing one more game in the first round?

After the Christmas break (3 days), the Jets won three in a row and 4-0-1 over 5 games. After their bye week (6 days), they won 3 in a row and went 3-0-1 into the All-Star Break. After that break (4 days), they beat the lead-leaguing Lightning to go 3-1-1 through their next 5 games.
Thanks for those stats. While they may have won those games I recall that they were still sluggish. I don?t recall which game it was, but I remember the commentators saying both teams looked sluggish coming out of the break, and you can?t get that from the stats.  Now the Preds have a break too, but it?s not quite as long as the Jets, but maybe that will equalize the Jets long break...who knows.

Either way, I?ve got my opinion and you?ve got yours. I sure hope they come out flying on Friday.  But I still feel the one week off won?t help for game one. Long term, if the Jets make a long playoff run I think it definitely helps.

blue_or_die

Pretty stoked we have gotten 3 Friday games so far- those are the best. Projecting a bit, it is likely we will play in game 2 Sunday night, then come back to Wpg for Wednesday and Friday again next week. That's a great schedule if it's reality.
#Ride?

theaardvark

Either top eight in each division play off, 1 through 8, or a top 16 bracket regardless of division...  having the two best teams face off in round 2 is wrong. 

1 plays WC2
2 plays wc1
3 plays 6
4 plays 5

Makes sense.  That puts the top 2 teams into a playoff round no earlier than the division finals.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 25, 2018, 03:33:20 PM
Either top eight in each division play off, 1 through 8, or a top 16 bracket regardless of division...  having the two best teams face off in round 2 is wrong. 

1 plays WC2
2 plays wc1
3 plays 6
4 plays 5

Makes sense.  That puts the top 2 teams into a playoff round no earlier than the division finals.

Except the second round under the current format is the division finals. The next round is then the conference finals between the winners of each division.

VGK - SJ (Pacific Division)
NSH - WPG (Central Division)
WSH - PIT (Metropolitan Division)
TB - BOS/TOR (Atlantic Division)

This system has its flaws. But the previous one did, too.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 25, 2018, 03:46:32 PM
Except the second round under the current format is the division finals. The next round is then the conference finals between the winners of each division.

VGK - SJ (Pacific Division)
NSH - WPG (Central Division)
WSH - PIT (Metropolitan Division)
TB - BOS/TOR (Atlantic Division)

This system has its flaws. But the previous one did, too.

Sorry.. conference finals... too many groupings...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Wow... now we have to worry about this...

Luc Lewandoski @LucLewandoski

Watching the March 25th Jets-Predator replay on Sportsnet. For the love of the Golden Boy, please don?t boo PK Subban only Winnipeg. It?s a very bad look.

Between Subban and a possible Kane return in Round Three, fans don?t want to ruin the positive vibes and become the story.

Really?  Fans dressed in white booing a player that happens to not be white?  Not because of the colour of his skin, but because he is a detestable player? 

I could understand if hoods, khaki pants and crosses were involved.  But seriously, the white out is far from having anything of a racial motivation.  Even suggesting that the "optics" for fans hating on an opposing player who happens to be black is crazy. 

But you know now, some media types will start on about the article on Winnipeg being "Canada's Most Racist City", and we will be dragged back down that avenue again. 

Its hockey.  Subban and Kane are easy to hate.  Just like Marchand, Kessler, Lucic...  not because of the colour of their skin, because they are aholes on and off the ice...  giving them a pass on that because of the colour of their skin is a disservice to racial equality.  All men should be created equal, to love or hate without regard to race, creed or religion.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 25, 2018, 04:10:17 PM
Sorry.. conference finals... too many groupings...

Yeah, two is a difficult number to grasp. :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

bluengold204

Quote from: theaardvark on April 25, 2018, 04:20:58 PM
Wow... now we have to worry about this...

Luc Lewandoski @LucLewandoski

Watching the March 25th Jets-Predator replay on Sportsnet. For the love of the Golden Boy, please don?t boo PK Subban only Winnipeg. It?s a very bad look.

Between Subban and a possible Kane return in Round Three, fans don?t want to ruin the positive vibes and become the story.

Really?  Fans dressed in white booing a player that happens to not be white?  Not because of the colour of his skin, but because he is a detestable player? 

I could understand if hoods, khaki pants and crosses were involved.  But seriously, the white out is far from having anything of a racial motivation.  Even suggesting that the "optics" for fans hating on an opposing player who happens to be black is crazy. 

But you know now, some media types will start on about the article on Winnipeg being "Canada's Most Racist City", and we will be dragged back down that avenue again. 

Its hockey.  Subban and Kane are easy to hate.  Just like Marchand, Kessler, Lucic...  not because of the colour of their skin, because they are aholes on and off the ice...  giving them a pass on that because of the colour of their skin is a disservice to racial equality.  All men should be created equal, to love or hate without regard to race, creed or religion.

I agree that Kane, Marchand, Kessler, Lucic are easy to hate but I don't think Subban falls under this category.  Man donated $10 million to a children's hospital when he was in Montreal.

Also in my opinion we mostly boo the other teams best players to try and throw them off their game not really so much cause we 'hate' them.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bluengold204 on April 25, 2018, 04:36:14 PM
I agree that Kane, Marchand, Kessler, Lucic are easy to hate but I don't think Subban falls under this category.  Man donated $10 million to a children's hospital when he was in Montreal.

Also in my opinion we mostly boo the other teams best players to try and throw them off their game not really so much cause we 'hate' them.

So, because he's a good humanitarian off the ice means he should be exempt from being booed for his greaseball antics on the ice...? Like Marchand and Kesler, Subban is an agitator. That and only that is why he gets booed.

Just another stupid tweet from another obviously stupid person. And a weak attempt at virtue signalling.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Quote from: bluengold204 on April 25, 2018, 04:36:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCds9GDzDIQ

SUbban, at the best of times, is a dirty player.  You can call it "competitive" or "gritty"  but he's just plain dirty and annoying to boot.  He might be a saint off ice, and donations like his children's hospital one are great, but it doesn't excuse elbows to the head of a star player, or the myriad other infractions / suspensions he has accumulated...

He's no angel, and easy to "BOOOOOO".

Stretch

I boo PK because he's a ***** (on the ice).
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

bluengold204

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 25, 2018, 04:41:25 PM
So, because he's a good humanitarian off the ice means he should be exempt from being booed for his greaseball antics on the ice...? Like Marchand and Kesler, Subban is an agitator. That and only that is why he gets booed.

Just another stupid tweet from another obviously stupid person. And a weak attempt at virtue signalling.

Didn't say that at all, was pointing out that hes not as big of an ******* as you guys seem to think he is, especially when people are saying he is a dick off the ice as well. 

You can boo him all you want for your own reasons, but Subban is one of Nashvilles best players, a Norris finalist if I'm not mistaken.  Personally I would boo him to try and throw him off his game, he will see lots of minutes and him not playing his best will help us.  Not cause he threw a couple dirty hits throughout his career.  So no his agitator antics is not the only he gets boo'd.

bluengold204

Quote from: theaardvark on April 25, 2018, 04:58:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCds9GDzDIQ

SUbban, at the best of times, is a dirty player.  You can call it "competitive" or "gritty"  but he's just plain dirty and annoying to boot.  He might be a saint off ice, and donations like his children's hospital one are great, but it doesn't excuse elbows to the head of a star player, or the myriad other infractions / suspensions he has accumulated...

He's no angel, and easy to "BOOOOOO".

Meh I've seen worse... Morrissey's cross check to Staal's neck comes to mind