Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

It is sad that the #1 and #2 seeds *in the league* are meeting in round 2, and having finished with the second best record in the LEAGUE, we do not have home ice advantage, which will be HUGE in this series. 

The crowds are a huge factor, but even more so is the ability to match lines.  We night have a little advantage in being able to confidently ice any line against any line they have, and if our D are rested and healthy, that will help huge. 

Cherry has the Jets winning the cup, and he's not a dumb man when it comes to the game. 

Jets in 6, clinching another series at home...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GCn19

Quote from: Jesse on April 24, 2018, 03:17:33 PM
I would be scared if this were a one-game-take-all scenario, but I am more optimistic over the course of a 7 game series. The games will be tightly contested, that's for sure.

I think we pound them into submission.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GCn19

Quote from: theaardvark on April 24, 2018, 04:25:40 PM
It is sad that the #1 and #2 seeds *in the league* are meeting in round 2, and having finished with the second best record in the LEAGUE, we do not have home ice advantage, which will be HUGE in this series. 

The crowds are a huge factor, but even more so is the ability to match lines.  We night have a little advantage in being able to confidently ice any line against any line they have, and if our D are rested and healthy, that will help huge. 

Cherry has the Jets winning the cup, and he's not a dumb man when it comes to the game. 

The current NHL playoff system is a travesty. We are likely going to see Boston/Tampa and Winnipeg/Nashville in the 2nd round and two of the best teams in the NHL are going down. Stupid. It may not turn out any differently with the old format, but it probably would have.

GCn19

Quote from: Jesse on April 24, 2018, 03:17:33 PM
I would be scared if this were a one-game-take-all scenario, but I am more optimistic over the course of a 7 game series. The games will be tightly contested, that's for sure.

I think we need to weather the storm early in the series in Nashville. We get a split there and we are in great shape because I don't think they can stay with us over 5,6,7 games. We just gotta win one on the road and this series flips to our favor big time.

bluengold204

Quote from: GCn17 on April 24, 2018, 08:16:30 PM
The current NHL playoff system is a travesty. We are likely going to see Boston/Tampa and Winnipeg/Nashville in the 2nd round and two of the best teams in the NHL are going down. Stupid. It may not turn out any differently with the old format, but it probably would have.

Toronto beats boston

blue_gold_84

Quote from: GCn17 on April 24, 2018, 08:16:30 PM

It's not necessarily a travesty. It's a format meant to showcase division rivalries first and foremost and emphasize the importance of being strong in one's own division.

Using the previous format (1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5), the first round would've looked like this:

EAST:
TB - NJ same
BOS - CBJ
WSH - PHI
TOR - PIT

WEST:
NSH - COL same
WPG - LA
VGK - SJ
MIN - ANA

It's not really that different, save for the 4-5 matchups which pit the middle-of-pack teams against each other in the opening round.

It is unfortunate to see the top two teams in the league face off in the second round but that's more of aberration than the current system being flawed, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

The Zipp

gbill2004

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 24, 2018, 10:45:50 PM
A full week off is not ideal in my opinion.

I think going up against the Preds this is good for us.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

The Zipp

They will get their groove back quickly...keep the Preds from scoring in the first 10 minutes and after a few shifts for everyone they will be in sync.  Preds are a great team - but at this point all the teams are great teams and will have opportunities to win a game.  I suspect we may see some OT this series.

Chris1982

Quote from: theaardvark on April 24, 2018, 04:25:40 PM

Not that it really makes a difference.... but Cherry said the Jets "make the finals" - not win the Cup.  Cherry is a big Eastern conference guy, so no big surprise there.

Jesse

Meh. If you win a series in 5 games, it?s something you have to deal with. Rest and practice is not a bad thing right now.
My wife is amazing!

Stretch

Quote from: Jesse on April 25, 2018, 12:14:56 PM
Rest and practice is not a bad thing right now.

Exactly. It's not like they've been doing nothing during the break.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

gbill2004

Quote from: Jesse on April 25, 2018, 12:14:56 PM
Meh. If you win a series in 5 games, it?s something you have to deal with. Rest and practice is not a bad thing right now.
Long term it?ll help, but I think it?ll hurt game one of the series.

gbill2004

Quote from: Stretch on April 25, 2018, 12:55:01 PM
Exactly. It's not like they've been doing nothing during the break.
Thanks...I?m fully aware they?re practicing and not sitting on the couch at home eating Doritos. Practice isn?t the same intensity as playing in a game. I seem to recall after the Jets breaks this season, the first game back they were a little sluggish.