Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on February 21, 2018, 01:49:25 AM
Not happening:

Per @FriedgeHNIC, #WPGJets are one of ten teams blocked by Mike Hoffman's modified NTC. #Sens 

He mentions the #WPGJets are having issues with several players who have Winnipeg blocked on their lists.

It?s just the reality of our market, regardless of how good the team is.
My wife is amazing!

gbill2004

Quote from: Jesse on February 21, 2018, 07:45:19 AM
It?s just the reality of our market, regardless of how good the team is.
Makes our current success even more impressive, considering the difficulty it is in trading for players and getting FA's to sign in Winnipeg.  The "draft and develop" model, and patience from ownership has really paid off. 

BomberPride

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: BomberPride on February 21, 2018, 02:12:45 PM
So frustrating when that happens.

A lack of discipline didn't help, either. Connor and Petan both took pretty bad penalties in the middle frame, which both resulted in goals for the Kings.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Stretch

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 21, 2018, 04:00:08 PM
A lack of discipline didn't help, either. Connor and Petan both took pretty bad penalties in the middle frame, which both resulted in goals for the Kings.

Agreed. Connor's was kind of a bad break, but Petan's was just dumb.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

BomberPride

Agreed - there was a problem with keeping sticks down.

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?

Jockitch

Those darn NTC's or Modified TC's are truly a terrible concern that Chevy & other teams face ........ unnecessarily IMO but it's the reality.
For me, I view it as cruel way to hamper or slant the playing field unjustly.   
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Nic16

Quote from: Jockitch on February 21, 2018, 10:03:39 PM
Those darn NTC's or Modified TC's are truly a terrible concern that Chevy & other teams face ........ unnecessarily IMO but it's the reality.
For me, I view it as cruel way to hamper or slant the playing field unjustly.   

I?m with you on this.

The NHL uses an SMS to try and even out the playing field, but yet they still allow MTC?s & NTC?s.  >:(

All teams contribute to the business, so how can it be legally possible to strap a handicap on some organizations.  ???

Colton

Quote from: Nic16 on February 22, 2018, 02:12:01 PM
All teams contribute to the business, so how can it be legally possible to strap a handicap on some organizations.  ???

It's not a handicap any more than hiring a crappy GM is or employing bad players. There is nothing that says certain teams have to be picked more than others, each team has just as much of a chance to be chosen as any other. Don't suck and you won't be on lists

The players bargained for and received the ability to have more control over where they want to work if they so choose to just like anyone else.

theaardvark

HAve to wonder if either Florida team is on any ntc list.  Signign a deal elsewhere, based on local tax laws, and then transferring to Florida's lack of taxation is like a huge bonus, even if the teams absolutely suck.

And, unlike regular folk in FLA, a millionaire hockey player can send their kids to private schools with security...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Nic16

Quote from: Colton on February 22, 2018, 02:54:47 PM
It's not a handicap any more than hiring a crappy GM is or employing bad players. There is nothing that says certain teams have to be picked more than others, each team has just as much of a chance to be chosen as any other. Don't suck and you won't be on lists

The players bargained for and received the ability to have more control over where they want to work if they so choose to just like anyone else.

Hmmm...we don?t suck and yet we?re on these lists.

And just because the players bargained for and received it doesn?t mean one has to agree with it. I?m sure there were some owners who voted against it.

Trades come with the territory in Pro sports. If you choose it as a career you should expect that you may be traded or moved. It?s called relocation in the business world.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Nic16 on February 22, 2018, 05:27:35 PM

Historically, the Jets have sucked and one really good season doesn't change it. That combined with Winnipeg not being a big, fancy market should make it pretty easy to understand why it's not a desirable location for players.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: Nic16 on February 22, 2018, 05:27:35 PM

And just because the players bargained for and received it doesn?t mean one has to agree with it. I?m sure there were some owners who voted against it.

Trades come with the territory in Pro sports. If you choose it as a career you should expect that you may be traded or moved. It?s called relocation in the business world.

They've never won a playoff game. 60 regular games doesn't change that. Once they inevitably do, you might start seeing players drop Winnipeg from their lists. Many are also submit before the season starts.

Many do expect it, that's why they negotiate a NMC/NTC clause into their contracts when they are able to.

Nic16

Quote from: Colton on February 22, 2018, 06:02:06 PM
They've never won a playoff game. 60 regular games doesn't change that. Once they inevitably do, you might start seeing players drop Winnipeg from their lists. Many are also submit before the season starts.

Many do expect it, that's why they negotiate a NMC/NTC clause into their contracts when they are able to.

I get the winning thing, that?s nothing new. However, players are smart enough to look at a team roster and decide whether a team?s history of suckage may be coming to an end.

Players have the option of removing teams from their lists if they want. NTC?s & NMC?s are not in stone.

Nic16

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 22, 2018, 05:42:00 PM
Historically, the Jets have sucked and one really good season doesn't change it. That combined with Winnipeg not being a big, fancy market should make it pretty easy to understand why it's not a desirable location for players.

Like you said not easy to figure out. I think anyone who has lived in Winnipeg their entire life knows about yhe stigma.

But like I said, NMC?s & NTC?s especially at this time of year give certain teams an advantage. Which is something I simply don?t agree with.

It comes with the career you chose. You should be happy to play in the NHL no matter the location.