Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_or_die

Very entertaining game considering the low score. Lots of chances and great goaltending on both ends.

I'm happy to take the point and to get out of Boston.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on December 21, 2017, 09:02:25 PM
This is when you take 3 or 4 of those pieces that don't fit, and turn them into one really nice piece that does... 

You're going to lose some of these pieces sooner of later, you only have so many contracts you can carry, and every year you add new prospects, draft choices, etc.  Its good to have contract room as well as cap space. 

Bundling Mathias, Dano and a few prospects could get you a player that could crack our lineup.   
[/b]

Would we really want to do that? Especially with moving the prospects? I wouldn't. Move Matthias if you like, or possibly Dano, or both and get draft picks coming back. We draft well and have found some success and so therefore can double down on drafting and developing and ensuring we have a stream of stand out youth talent which is so crucial to remaining competitive these days.

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_or_die on December 22, 2017, 02:14:47 PM
Very entertaining game considering the low score. Lots of chances and great goaltending on both ends.

I'm happy to take the point and to get out of Boston.

only caught OT and the shootout...some good chances in OT - thought we were going to bury one but didn't...couple of the shootout shots were kinda weak but with split second decisions it happens...the point is good - two were within reach though.

Haven't paid much attention to the Islanders this year...are they any good?

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 22, 2017, 02:15:17 PM
[/b]

Would we really want to do that? Especially with moving the prospects? I wouldn't. Move Matthias if you like, or possibly Dano, or both and get draft picks coming back. We draft well and have found some success and so therefore can double down on drafting and developing and ensuring we have a stream of stand out youth talent which is so crucial to remaining competitive these days.

The key is to acquire a player that improves your present team.  Pretty hard, I know, with the team performing as it is now.  But the huge depth we have is actually a liability when it comes to development and new prospect acquisition. 

Will we regret trading away certain prospect?  You bet we will, every team that trades a prospect will sometimes regret it.  But if it makes the current team 1 point in the standing better over the year, that can be the difference in making the postseason, or hosting a series. 

You have to have faith that you will continue to churn out more prospects.  And use them appropriately.  When you have too many, you have to make room for new ones.  Its a great place to be in.

Looking forward, we are going to be having some cap issues soon.  There are going to be players we will not be able to sign.  Or will have to choose between. 

To that end, I'm going to get booed by saying it might be time to move Trouba.  It does not seem to me that he wants to be here.  He's not going to do or say anything to scuttle his career by saying that, but it is evident to me.  The fact that he threw away at least $6mil he may never recoup by signing a 2 year contract, hoping that he can make that up on the back end, speaks volumes.  He could easily have had a 5 yr, $6mil per deal.  Not taking that means he need to make $8mil for 3 years just to break even.  Not totally impossible, but tough.  And if he were to suffer an injury, that guaranteed money would be gone.  So, I'm not buying that he wants to be a Jet after this deal is done.

So, can you  "Kane" bundle him? Trouba, Dano and Mathais for...  can you get back a top level left handed D with a favourable contract (like Myers or Hamonic were)? 

What would you want back for Trouba?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: The Zipp on December 22, 2017, 03:12:30 PM
only caught OT and the shootout...some good chances in OT - thought we were going to bury one but didn't...couple of the shootout shots were kinda weak but with split second decisions it happens...the point is good - two were within reach though.

Haven't paid much attention to the Islanders this year...are they any good?

Also haven't seen much of the eastern teams. From the sounds of it, they were pretty hot not long ago but have been having some recent struggles. I expect the game to be a bit easier than the Bruins.

I have tickets to the home game against the Isles, last game of the year, so I hope we hurt them and they come back wanting revenge!
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 22, 2017, 02:15:17 PM

Exactly right.

Quote from: theaardvark on December 22, 2017, 03:43:55 PM
To that end, I'm going to get booed by saying it might be time to move Trouba.  It does not seem to me that he wants to be here.  He's not going to do or say anything to scuttle his career by saying that, but it is evident to me.  The fact that he threw away at least $6mil he may never recoup by signing a 2 year contract, hoping that he can make that up on the back end, speaks volumes.  He could easily have had a 5 yr, $6mil per deal.  Not taking that means he need to make $8mil for 3 years just to break even.  Not totally impossible, but tough.  And if he were to suffer an injury, that guaranteed money would be gone.  So, I'm not buying that he wants to be a Jet after this deal is done.

In other words, you know absolutely nothing. And that's why you should be booed.

It was never made public what the Jets actually offered Trouba last year - it was just rumour. So, the fact is you don't know what he did or didn't throw away. He signed a bridge contract and rescinded his trade request. Since then, he's played top minutes more often than not and has been a major piece of the team's defensive depth, which is exactly what he wanted prior to re-signing.

Other noteworthy nonsense from your post includes the claim the Jets' organizational depth is a liability and that looking forward the team will have cap issues soon. The first statement is flat out absurd in its erroneousness and the other is simply straight up speculative fear-mongering. But if you really do believe the Jets will have cap issues in the near future, your wanting to acquire Tavares, a player who is going to command immense money and term, is therefore short-sighted and contradictory.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_or_die on December 22, 2017, 04:22:14 PM
Also haven't seen much of the eastern teams. From the sounds of it, they were pretty hot not long ago but have been having some recent struggles. I expect the game to be a bit easier than the Bruins.

I have tickets to the home game against the Isles, last game of the year, so I hope we hurt them and they come back wanting revenge!

Jets are making them look pretty good so far....

The Zipp

The Zipp

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on December 23, 2017, 07:28:42 PM
Mason isn't very good...

I have come to the conclusion he is a glorified Pavy
NOT GOOD at all!
Has the potential to be a dumb Cheve move.
I had others place higher ala Darling (whom I know didn?t quite make FA but I do not care, make the move) in off season back up goalies available
Errrr I would rather have Hutch as back up!!!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

gbill2004

Former Jet, Alex Burmistrov retired form the NHL over the holidays. 

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on December 27, 2017, 01:25:51 PM
Former Jet, Alex Burmistrov retired form the NHL over the holidays. 

He might end up making more in the KHL in retirement than he was making here...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

Quote from: theaardvark on December 27, 2017, 01:27:22 PM
He might end up making more in the KHL in retirement than he was making here...
Very true.  I believe he was making around $900,000 in the NHL. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: The Zipp on December 23, 2017, 07:28:42 PM
Mason isn't very good...

He got zero help on Saturday, much like his third start when the Blue Jackets came to town. The team started off horribly and were down 2-0 not even three minutes into the game.

In his previous 5 starts, he posted a 1.6GAA and a .948SV% (FWIW).

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 23, 2017, 10:20:17 PM
NOT GOOD at all!
I had others place higher ala Darling (whom I know didn?t quite make FA but I do not care, make the move) in off season back up goalies available

Nonsense. Irrational nonsense.

And had you bothered to take a look at the stats, Darling isn't doing any better.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 23, 2017, 10:20:17 PM
NOT GOOD at all!
Darling has looked horrible so far.  I'd call him a bust.