Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMT21

Can't imagine trading Trouba is on the table. His play this year doesn't warrant 7M + but that is subject to change. If a trade does happen... I'm sure Chevy will get everything he wants in return.  I also have no doubt Chevy would match any RFA offer should other teams try it.

FWIW... First time Jets have beaten LA in regulation in LA.  Lord only knows where this team can go if Mason plays like he did last time and Helly maintains his form.   8)

blue_or_die

Didn't catch the late game but watched the highlights this morning. Great bounce back after the Nashville mess!
#Ride?

The Zipp

i didn't see any of the 3rd period - had to sleep, but it looks like the Jets played most of it with a one goal lead - not easy to do on the road vs the Kings...

Well done - keep it rolling and racking up the points!!  2 points in November count the same as 2 in Spring!!

TrueBlue75

I too conked out for the third period. Woke up at 3, checked the score, saw that we won, back to sleep.

Some interesting comments from Maurice on Trouba about training him to be playing against the top players but that last night saw that he wasn't having a great game, so bumped him to a different pairing. He hasn't been in his finest form this season, but hopefully he gets things going soon. Nice to see the second line strike again for a goal. I feel like Laine and Ehlers have better chemistry with Scheifele than Little, but how do you break up the Wheeler-Scheifele-Connor line? They are so good.

blue_or_die

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on November 23, 2017, 01:39:47 PM
I too conked out for the third period. Woke up at 3, checked the score, saw that we won, back to sleep.

Some interesting comments from Maurice on Trouba about training him to be playing against the top players but that last night saw that he wasn't having a great game, so bumped him to a different pairing. He hasn't been in his finest form this season, but hopefully he gets things going soon. Nice to see the second line strike again for a goal. I feel like Laine and Ehlers have better chemistry with Scheifele than Little, but how do you break up the Wheeler-Scheifele-Connor line? They are so good.

They are very good, but I wonder if they would be even better with the other guys? I mean if we did Laine-Scheif-Ehlers as our top line I bet Shceif could really ignite the euros. Then Connor-Little-Wheeler as the second line. Little and Wheeler have heaps of experience and chemistry together, and can continue mentoring young Connor.
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 23, 2017, 02:37:36 PM
They are very good, but I wonder if they would be even better with the other guys? I mean if we did Laine-Scheif-Ehlers as our top line I bet Shceif could really ignite the euros. Then Connor-Little-Wheeler as the second line. Little and Wheeler have heaps of experience and chemistry together, and can continue mentoring young Connor.

I was listening to a Maurice interview where he was talking about keeping the top line together because Connor is doing so well there, and he doesn't want to do anything to disrupt that. He was open to the possibility if he needs to, but he's going to keep that as a "break-the-glass" move.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB on November 22, 2017, 05:32:29 PM
Jacob Trouba is the bobble head they are giving away at one of the last home games this season, so Chevy knows something we don't. He's here for the longhaul.  ;D

The team and management have to treat Trouba like he is going to be a fixture here for the long haul... of course they are going to honor him as much as possible, and present a united front that he is going to be a Jet long term. 

Far from it being a sure thing, and his 2 year, $3mil per bridge deal after holding out and losing speaks volumes.  He left at least $7million over those two years on the table.  He could have easily signed a 7 year, $6.5 mil per deal...  to make that money up he'd have to sign a 5 year $7.75 mil per deal...

Will he get that?  Maybe, on the open market. 

FYI... SportsNet poll...
10% Think he stays, 66% think he gets traded this season, 6k people voting...

https://www.opinionstage.com/polls/2399142/poll?sembed=1&wid=0

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 23, 2017, 03:19:45 PM
FYI... SportsNet poll...
10% Think he stays, 66% think he gets traded this season, 6k people voting...

https://www.opinionstage.com/polls/2399142/poll?sembed=1&wid=0

Well, this means nothing.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on November 23, 2017, 02:53:08 PM
I was listening to a Maurice interview where he was talking about keeping the top line together because Connor is doing so well there, and he doesn't want to do anything to disrupt that. He was open to the possibility if he needs to, but he's going to keep that as a "break-the-glass" move.

I get that logic but I don't want to see Laine and Ehlers dare-I-say wasted on a line that isn't working. The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" line doesn't work here I don't think because second line is broken. I think there's a very clear divide between our top 6 and bottom 6 and most combinations within each will work. I like Connor but having him get top line minutes isn't as important as having Laine and Ehlers, our two most dynamic players, in the best possible position to produce. Like I said, I think Scheif will be better for setting them up vs. Little, and that Little and Wheeler are already a known commodity as a pair and have the vet experience to continue with Connor's success.

If we lose a few games, I think this will happen, and if we don't it will stay like this which isn't exactly a bad thing either. Who knows, maybe the second line is just in a slump and ready to explode any minute.
#Ride?

TrueBlue75

Quote from: Jesse on November 23, 2017, 04:38:38 PM
Well, this means nothing.

Probably mostly leafs fans voting too, and they barely can think rationally about their own team never mind any other team.

The Zipp

Jets are rollin'

Fun to watch them play when they are flying around

GOLDMEMBER

Another nice tilt from a Jets prospective

Seeing Perry sulking head down on the bench after the game was pricelessg!

Hellebuck solid as ever.

Buff playing inspired, he really really wants that first goal!

Ehlers had a particularly strong game
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TrueBlue75

I think teams around the league will be happy that Chiarot dished out to Perry what he regularly does to other players. Wasn?t it his slash that broke Perreault?s wrist last year? Guy?s a loser. Third overall and continuing to steamroll other teams. So awesome!

TrueBlue75

NHL Player Safety:

Winnipeg?s Ben Chiarot fined $3,763.44, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for butt-ending Anaheim?s Corey Perry.

I?m okay with that. It didn?t look like he intentionally used his stick but was rather using his glove to smack  Perry and the end of his stick was there.

theaardvark

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on November 25, 2017, 05:46:56 PM
NHL Player Safety:

Winnipeg?s Ben Chiarot fined $3,763.44, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for butt-ending Anaheim?s Corey Perry.

I?m okay with that. It didn?t look like he intentionally used his stick but was rather using his glove to smack  Perry and the end of his stick was there.

I'm betting he makes that back, and more, in drinks and dinners bought for him by Perry haters...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.